Monday, December 22, 2008

Blue Monday.....



Welcome to Blue Monday, a post hosted by my good friend Sally, at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ Every week a group of us gals get together to post something blue. Thank you Sally for hosting this very fun post. If you are interested in joining our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Blue Monday web site......

This week I decided to share with you my sister Marie's three wise men........
Approximately thirty five years ago my sister Marie hosted a home Christmas decor party where she received these stunning old wise men as a hostess gift. Well, I immediately fell in love with them. The pictures honestly do not do them justice. They are very rich and vibrant in color. Each of them stands nine inches tall so they add grace and presence to any room.....
After the decor party my sister asked me if I would like to borrow the wise men for my Christmas display that year. She said she didn't have enough room for them at her house and she could tell I really liked them. Many years and moves later, I still have my sister Marie's wise men. Every year I ask her if she would like them back, but she always says, "Oh, they look so pretty here. You keep them for now." It's become a fun little ritual or tradition that we go through every year. One time I actually packed them up and very reluctantly took them to her house but she sent them right back home with me. Everyone who comes to our home and inquires about them knows that they are my sisters and not mine. I'm so delighted that she let's me keep them year after year. Thank you so much Marie!.......
The wise men are actually candle holders but I have chosen not to put the candles in them. Sometimes I place them on my mantle or on a window ledge. I like to move them around as if they are roaming. I also like to use them as part of a table scape. I will usually place a small poinsettia in the middle of the table and then encircle the poinsettia with the wise men......
Even thought these wise men are very charming and beautiful the best thing about them is that every time I look at them I am reminded of my sister and how she loaned them to me thirty five years ago.....
Happy Blue Monday everyone!.......
I can't wait to see all of your pretty blue things......
With warmest regards, Carol

22 comments:

ellen b. said...

Oh I just love this story! How sweet it is...
They are great and I see why you like them.
Merry Christmas to you and yours! Blessings...

judicreations said...

Happy Blue Monday Carol
That set truly is beautiful and if its even more beautiful in real person..oh my!
How lovely that your sister has let you appreciate them all these years instead of leaving them packaged up someplace not having the room. Sometimes we do that without thinking of the joy to others...thats very special.
Enjoy them...and your family and friends over this lovely holiday season..*hugs*
Merry Christmas...
Judi

Judith said...

hahaha what a wondeful story Carol and I love the fact that you went through the same ritual every year. Take care, Judith

Smilingsal said...

What a lovely story; you have a generous and kind sister. I wouldn't put candles in them either. I like them "as is." Happy Blue Monday!

claudie said...

Happy Blue Monday Carol, and hello Charlie!! Hope mommy has lovely presents wrapped up under the tree for you. I'm sure she does cause she's a great mom.
Merry Christmas for our furry friends to yours.
Claudie from Canada
P.S. Love your story and your wise men.

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Great post. In the past they have made some beautiful pieces for all to enjpy.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Hi there sweet Carol!

Those wise men are really beautiful, and I love your other Christmas decor, too!

I'm taking an afternoon break to read the blogs, and I'm delighted to see your post as usual.

Happy Blue Monday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Muse said...

i think it is simply marvelous that there is a truly unique and loving story behind the blue monday post here :)
the entire story says a great deal about the wonderful relationship you have with your sister...
i took like the wise men and agree, there is no need for candles :)

Carrie said...

How sweet that your sister continues to loan them to you each year. They are very dramatic and beautiful and represent all who seek the Savior.

Natural Moments said...

Symbols of Wisdom are an excellent to display anytime of year. They are a great reminder of what we should strive towards.

bj said...

What a beautiful set...I know you must enjoy them so much. Thanks so much for letting us see them, too.
MERRY CHRISTMAS...

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

char72 said...

How sweet your sister lets you keep her wise men. They are beautiful. I like them 'roaming around'.
Have a blessed Christmas.
Charlotte

White Iris Designs said...

Great story! Love those wise men. I am a nut for Nativities.

jlshall said...

Beautiful story, and your wise men are lovely. What a sweet sister to let you hold onto them for so long!

Shellmo said...

How sweet of your sister! They are a beautiful set of wisemen! Hope you, Charli & the hubby have a wonderful xmas!

nikkicrumpet said...

The wise men are beautiful...since she loaned you the wisemen...maybe they could loan me their wisdom! I could sure use it.

Mojo said...

It's a big bonus when something like this has a story to go with it.

Jorgelina said...

Hi!!!
Happy Blue Monday !!!
That the Jesus boy blesses your home.
Merry Christmas!

Jorgelina said...

A special kiss to Charlie!

CIELO said...

Good morning Carol and Charli...!

Merry Christmas and warm wishes from our house to yours.

Cielo

Julie said...

I think they are yours by now - and your sister knows that. What a great story!

Related Posts with Thumbnails