Sunday, December 7, 2008

It's time to get down to the business of writing out our Christmas cards.....



It's time to get down to the business of writing out our Christmas cards....

This has been a wonderful week for my husband and I of visiting with family and friends. It's been so nice having my hubby home from the hospital again and finally being able to see him improve a little more with each passing day. We feel very blessed indeed.....
Now it's time to get down to the business of writing out our Christmas cards. I am a little late this year, as I usually send them out on the first of December, but just like that old saying goes, better late then never.........
When I was a little girl my mother used to refer to Christmas cards as gifts. As I have mentioned before my mother came from a very large family and we used to get tons and tons of Christmas cards every year. When my brother, sister, and I would get home from school my mother would sit us down and go through these cards one, by one, reading every line, and every enclosed personal note. Then she would tell us all about the person who sent the card like who they were, where they lived, how they were related to us, and some special little memory about them. My mother thought the giving and getting of Christmas cards was one of the most important and cherished traditions of the Christmas season. Sometimes she would string yarn just above the large picture window in our living room and hang the cards on that, but most of the time she taped the cards along the molding of the windows and the ledge that led into our kitchen....
The year my mother died she sent out Christmas cards in the shape of a dove. When you pulled on the Doves wing a little card popped out with a lovely Christmas greeting. I have kept that card and it has hung on our Christmas tree every year since.....
I have carried on the tradition of sending Christmas cards just like my mother. When our children were little, and then our grandchildren, I used to read the cards to them just like she did. When I first got married I would hang my cards on our living room door but now I put them on a Christmas card tree my husband bought me many years ago.....
What about you? Do you like to give and receive Christmas cards? Do you display them in any particular way? Do you consider them a cherished Christmas tradition? Or do you feel a sense of obligation to send them out because other people send them to you?....

This is my little Christmas card tree. It looks rather plain right now but I hope it will be filled with some lovely Christmas cards pretty soon. The edges of the tree have slats and as I get a card I just slide it through. The box it sits on has drawers where I can store stamps, paper, pens, and cards.....
I would love to hear from you. What are your Christmas card traditions........
I hope all of you are having a lovely day!.....
With warmest regards, Carol

15 comments:

Paula said...

What an adorable tree you have and I loved your post...Christmas cards are just another chore that I don't like doing...I love to get a card but it seems like everyone is just too busy to do more than sign their name. I only send them to family and very close friends. I wish I was more into it but I just don't have the time....

ceekay said...

I always send Christmas cards. I love getting them, and I love sending them. Some people get a card regardless if they send. I usually try to put a letter in since almost everyone is in another state. I don't care how much stamps get, it still is the most inexpensive way to show someone that you care about them.
That Christmas tree card holder is really cute. I wish I had something like that. I always struggle with what to do with the cards.

Shellmo said...

I love the idea of a christmas card tree - yours is great! And your mother sounds like she was so thoughtful about her cards. I enjoy sending them out - this year I took a photo of the first snowfall at our log cabin and created a christmas card out of it.

Terry said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Carol.
I love to write out my Christmas cards each year, and love receiving them. I have a card holder I bought a few years ago to display them.
Your tree is perfect.
Charli is just adorable! We had a Schnoodle before Olive. He was 15 1/2 when he passed. I still miss him.
Hope your husband continues to improve.

Terry

Shelia said...

Evening, Carol! I love that little Christmas card tree!! I just pop my cards into a Christmasy basket!
Hope you've had a nice weekend.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Muse said...

That is truly nice idea... a card tree :) Really NICE !

bj said...

Oh, I love sending out cards. The cost of stamps have caused me to cut way back on them, however. I do send to a few of my close friends that live out of town.
I love fixing a cup of hot cocoa or tea, settling down in a comfy chair with a fire going and making out the cards. I save every one I receive and use them for tags on gifts...I have never come up with a way to display them without it looking cluttered...I guess I need one of those little trees like you have.....
happy day, bj

Smilingsal said...

I still send cards, but I no longer display them. I have cut down my list as the years pass. If I don't hear from someone except for a card at Christmas, it feels empty to me. And, if I see you to wish you Merry Christmas, I don't feel so obligated to send along a card; it's a bit redundant. For instance, our church has over 8,000 attending each weekend; I can't possibly exchange cards with all of them. Not wanting to cause hurt feelings, I only send to my small group.

Some years I write a short note on each card; this year, I just signed our names.

Grandma Faith said...

I am so glad you shared this story about Christmas cards. Somehow I missed out on this tradition. You have inspired me to think about Christmas cards in a whole new way. Love, Faith

CIELO said...

The House in the Roses is having a party!... Come to the “World of Treasures” and show your lovely treasures... Come see!

Cielo

Aaydens Mommy said...

I love Christmas cards as well! We usually hang them up on our front door (on the inside) so we can see them. I like to sit by the lit tree and just look at some of the pictures on them. They can be so beautiful. Sometimes I'll write a short note and others I'll just sign. This year however, we won't be sending any out due to the cost of postage and what not. :( I hope you have fun writing out all of your cards.

Kathy Brakhage said...

i'm a hang them around the door girl =) this is a beautiful post i love the way you bring your mother into your Christmas every year! and i would love a Christmas card tree! it is so neat

Susie Q said...

Cards are such a sweet gift at Christmas...I am writing ours this week. I love sending and I love receiving them. I always make sure that the recipients name is written, a little note too so they know we tought of them as we sent their card...

I have so enjoyed reading through your recent posts...

Love,
Sue

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

In this day and age of emails and computer aided cards I still put pen to paper. There is something so wonderful about receiving a card in the mail~something tangible to know that you are thought of and loved. I send out well over 80 cards to several different countries.

Anne said...

Oh Mom I think I remember you showing me that card on your tree. But I would like to see it again. I to am running late on my cards.

Related Posts with Thumbnails