Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A Winter Solstice Party........






A Winter Solstice Party.......

I have never been to a solstice party so imagine my delight when our beautiful neice Linnea invited us to one she hosted in her lovely home. We had such a wonderful evening and so much fun!......


I just had to include a picture of this sweet little Christmas tree. Isn't it adorable! The second ornament
from the top was made by our
neice Miranda when she was in preschool. Now she is all
grown up and attending college.
I will show you a picture of her
later in my post.....


The solstice party was so neat!.......
First a fire was lit in the fireplace to add warmth on a cold winter night.......
Next a candle was added to the table where each person was
to sit along with a festive cracker. After everyone was seated my neice shared a solstice prayer about love, peace, joy, and faith. Then we were given pens and small peices of paper. We were asked to write a resentment we had this year down on the paper. The candles were lit and we all burned our resentments together in order to sort of toss them all out. Then we were asked to share something we would like to change about ourselves in the coming year. Next we opened our crackers. We were all given princely hats of different colors to wear. What fun! Each of us also recieved a tiny gift in the cracker. Everyone was very tickled that my gift was a little red schnauzer pooch. Now I ask you what are the odds of that? LOL I was just thrilled. Then we were all given the gift of one of those scratch lotto tickets. I'm sorry to report there were no millionaires among us, but my brother did win five dollars, and all of us had loads of fun scratching away.....

We had a glass of bubbly Champane and then it was on to the feast........
We were served a delicious garden salad with pine nuts, cranberries, and blue cheese. Yummy!
Then we had flounder stuffed with crab. It was so delicous!
We also had Stilton cheese with dates and oranges. I albsolutely loved this!
My neice also baked gingerbread in the shape of a heart :>)
We were told that, "In the Middle Ages, intricately decorated gingerbread cakes were given by fair ladies to knights going into tournament battle. Still popular today, gingerbread abounds during the holidays as a celebration of the season." If that was not enough, then we had tiny delicate pastries that were filled with chocolate and cream. The pastries were served with coffee and tea.
After dinner our niece read us the song, The Twelve Days Of Christmas. Then she told us the story of why the song was written and what each line meant.
Thank you again Linnea for an absolutely fabulous party!......

But wait that's not all.......
Our niece Miranda has decided to become a Bathroom Beauty Snapping Diva! Yes it's true. I can't wait to share this news with Shelia at http://notesongs.blogspot.com/ Isn't our niece the most beautiful girl you have ever seen? The best thing about her is that she is not only a beauty on the outside but also a beauty on the inside. She is an artist and a poet.....

On the way back home we passed through the city of Rochester. Each building in the city is covered from top to bottom with lights during the Christmas season. It was difficult to get a good picture because of the rain, and the traffic, but I tried to give you a peek. I wish all of you were able to actually see it. It's spectacular!....

What about you?...
Have you ever been to a Solstice party?... I look forward to hearing from you....
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Aaydens Mommy said...

oh wow that sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you guys got to get out and enjoy yourselves!

The Muse said...

Hello! XO Merry Christmas!
WoW...a party...YES, that is what I am talking about...! And it sounds as though you had lots of fun!


OH, yes dear, your niece is lovely! And BRAVE! LOL A Bathroom Diva she is! LOL

Kathy Brakhage said...

I've never been to a Solstice party but it sounds wonderful! And how cool that you got the schnauzer! I love the idea of burning your resentments. The food sounded so good and the lights were pretty. I kind of like the way the reflection is in the windshield. And yes, your niece is beautiful =)

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

That is a new one on me, but sounds like lots of fun! Your niece Miranda was a cutie in the pic!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful and blessed Christmas! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

Smilingsal said...

I have never been to a Solstice Party, but I'd sure like to come to yours.

lol Your niece is going to love getting crowned with Shelia's toilet bowl brush!

We always take one night to ride around and see the lights. They're so spectacular.

Trying to Stay Calm! said...

Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! L♥ve and Hugs :) Shauna

Shelia said...

Evening, Carol. Oh the party sounded like it was so much fun! I'll take Miranda and post her after the holidays! She is a beautiful young lady and glad to know it's inside as well as out.
Have a Merry Christmas, dear one.
Shelia ;)

Shellmo said...

What a fun idea for a party! Your neice obviously put a lot of thought into it! Love those christmas crackers - I always buy them for my family.

Neabear said...

Sounds like a fun day for all of you. How cool that you have a niece with my name -Linnea_. I don't remember if you told me that before. But it was definitely strange to see my name in your post. Not often something like that happens.

Serendipity said...

Just dropping in to wish you a Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

Judith said...

No I've never been to a Solstice party but it sounds as though you had an educational as well as fun evening with family & friends. Take care, Judith

Julie said...

Oh, how wonderful, to be able to go to a Solstice party. It sounds perfect. And such a sumptuous feast you had!

Related Posts with Thumbnails