Monday, January 26, 2009

Blue Monday.....



Welcome to Blue Monday, a post hosted by my friend Sally, at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ Every Monday a group of us gals get together to post something blue. Thank you Sally for hosting this fun post. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Blue Monday web site...

This week I thought I would share another piece from my collection of nurses. This piece is called 'The Animal Hospital'
I wish I had a better camera because the shirt the doctor is wearing is actually blue instead of the green it appears to be in the picture. I love this piece because of it's sentimental value. it reminds me of all of the cherished times I spent with my brother growing up....
Although my brother is seven years older than me I don't think he ever considered me a pest. Instead, he always looked out for me and let me tag along with him. From the time I can remember my brother always wanted to be a doctor. When he was growing up he always had some sort of a hospital or chemistry lab set up in our garage. There he would take in stray animals much to our fathers dismay. My brother would care for them in which ever way he could, feeding them and giving them water. Our basset hound Chill also became a patient. I can't tell you how many times my brother practiced bandaging one of his legs or his head. If that wasn't enough, he also took care of any stuffed animals that needed assistance. Although I was just a little girl I became his assistant. It was my very first exposure to nursing. My brother and I spend many happy hours making all kinds of concoctions with his chemistry set and patching up real and stuffed animals in our neighborhood....


Can you see the little dog in the cast? Although he doesn't look like our dog Chill it reminds me of all the things we put that poor dog through. Chill never seemed to mind though. He was such a good sport. There is also a teddy bear with his arm in a sling and a basket full of medical supplies. It wouldn't be surprising to see those on any given day in our garage.....


My brother grew up and did become a doctor and a teacher of medicine. When I was a teenager he would take me on rounds to all the various hospitals with him. He would always introduce me to the staff and sometimes he would take me out to lunch afterwards. Those were very special times for a young impressionable girl. Times I have never forgotten. I feel very proud and blessed to have had a big brother...

I married and became a mother, but when my children were all in school I decided it was time for me to go to college too. One thing led to another and the next thing I knew I was on the nursing program....
This is my favorite picture of my brother and myself. He has one exactly like it and we both keep them in our home offices. My picture sits to my left on a small secretary desk. My little grouping is to my right in one of my book cases, and my computer station is in between so that if I were to look either way I am reminded of all the lovely and special times my brother and I have spent together. It makes me feel happy and so incredibly blessed!...
Happy Blue Monday everyone! I look forward to seeing all of your lovely blue things.
With warmest regards, Carol

19 comments:

Anne said...

I've always loved that picture of you and your brother. Your post about your brother was very sweet.♥

Lisa said...

A big brother that wonderful would definitely make a great doctor. He must be just as proud of you.

Smilingsal said...

Why Carol, that's the first picture I've ever seen of you, I do believe! You are a pretty thing. I love this story; how proud you must be of your brother. The little knick knack is precious. Once again, you and I have something in common. My big brother is my twin; he's 1 hr. and 25 mins. older than me. (Poor Mama!)Have a Happy Blue Monday!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That's such a sweet post about your brother, Carol! It brought a tear to my eye. He's mighty blessed to have a sister like you, too. And I love the picture of you with him!

Thanks for sharing your brother with us and also part of your cute collection.

Happy Blue Monday!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Thank you for sharing your sweet memories of you brother. My brother was also 7 years older then I and also let me tag along and take me to the beach and mall. He worried and looked out for me and even on his death bed he was still trying to advise me, lol. Yes he Lord took him Home over 12 years ago. I argued with God that it was to soon, but I now know that God had much grander plans for him.

Shellmo said...

Such a sweet and loving story about you and your brother! I love that you both stayed true to what was in your hearts in children - and how you went into nursing later on.

Aaydens Mommy said...

I absolutely loved this post! It is so nice that you have those fond memories of growing up with your brother! Especially how you both found your passion of caring for others early on in life. =) You are very lucky.

Kathy said...

What a sweet post and the animal hospital figurine is adorable!

Susan said...

What a wonderful post on your brother..and I love the animal doctor figure!

bj said...

I love that pic. of you and your brother.
The nurses are so sweet...
bj

nikkicrumpet said...

So nice to have such a great brother! What a nice post!!

CC said...

story..what a special brother. Happy Blue Monday, hope you have a great week.

judicreations said...

Hi Carol
What a great story. It sounds like you and your brother have always been very close and how special is that.
The little doctor figurine is beautiful. I've never seen one like that.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful Blue Monday story with us.
have a lovely evening
Judi

Shannon said...

Love your blog, today's post is so lovely. I may join y'all for the meme next week!

Rose Haven said...

What a lovely story...and picture!!

Thanks for visiting...I'll be showing dishes on Tablescape Tuesdays (not every Tuesday, but when I can!).

Jan

The Muse said...

you always the most heart felt of posts :)

prof en retraite said...

Oh it sounds like you have wonderful memeories of your brother! I always wanted one, but my parents wouldn't cooperate!...Debbie

Madeline's Album said...

What a wonderful post. Have a good evening. Madeline

Sandy said...

What wonderful memories to share!

Related Posts with Thumbnails