Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The case of the missing sparrows......



The case of the missing sparrows......

About four years ago most of the old and established trees in our area had to be cut down because of a beetle infestation disease. After the trees were cut down our subdivision was very bleak and desolate. It reminded me of what a war zone or tornado hit area must look like. Since then the city has planted all new trees, but of course, they are still young and will take many years to grow into the beautiful and splendid trees they are meant to be. When the trees were cut down the sparrows had no where to go so they started gravitating to all of the established bushes in the area. All winter long we have had hundreds and hundreds of sparrows living in our bushes chatting away, perching on our mail box, and poking their beaks at our windows. If we open our door all of the birds will take flight at once, flapping their wings, screeching and peeping. It looked like a scene from the movie, the birds. Our porch, mailbox, porch light, sidewalk, and bushes seemed to be always covered with a nasty white excrement.

One day this year I was looking out my kitchen window when I saw this strange bird that I have never seen before perched on our tall white fence. The bird was beautiful and very regal in stature. When I called my husband to come see, he said, he thought the bird was a hawk. Since that time we have been noticing less and less sparrows in our bushes. Today my husband and I were sitting in the living room when this bird came soaring down on to our bushes. He took a look at my hubby, sort of shook his head as if to say I'm the new man in town, and jumped down on to some stones.

After a little research on the Internet my husband and I have decided we think this bird might be a sparrow hawk. Apparently they are native to Europe but are seen here in the United States. I was hoping some of my friends who are knowledgeable about birds might be able to shed a little light on this because we know very little about birds. Although this new sheriff in town seems to be cleaning up our pack of noise makers I am concerned about Charli. My hubby doesn't think I have anything to worry about because the sheriff has to many fine feathered friends to feast on.....

What do you think?..... Should I be concerned about Charli?....... She only weighs ten pounds....

I look forward to hearing from you....

With warmest regards,

21 comments:

Paula said...

Oh poor Charli....I don't think you have anything to worry about but I would sure keep an eye on that hawk

Kathy said...

I don't think you need to be concerned about Charli. He'd probably run like the dickens if anything was after him! Sparrowhawks eat sparrows, thus their name. I have seen other breeds of hawks capture small rodents but nothing bigger than a rat and I've lived with woods around me more than I haven't. They are beautiful creatures though!

Charli and me said...

Dear Kathy, Thank you for your comments. You are probably right. By the way, Charli is a little girl. I don't know why our son named her Charli but we didn't think it would be fair to change it since she was such an anxious little girt when we first got her.

Kathy said...

Aww I'm sorry Charli =) SHE'S adorable by the way!

Cindy said...

To put your mind at ease, you might research a "sparrow hawk" online. If it's a relatively small hawk, you have no problem. If it's a bigger hawk, I'd check with your local Audubon Society or zoo. We sure could use one in our neck of the woods;--)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I am a falconer. I know my birds of prey. It is a Coopers Hawk. We have them at our birdfeeding stations, too. They are looking for dinner!! Sorry to have to tell you that!!!

Smilingsal said...

I understand your concern about Charli. Even though she's not a bird, she might experience a nasty hawk's beak. I'd keep her in as much as possible. It's cold, anyway, and Charlie'd probably rather stay inside.

Anne said...

I to have seen these birds in my trees. I've seen it eating a juvenile blue jay before plucking it's poor little blue feathers out. Didn't mean to gross you out if I did. I think their hawks. You might want to keep an eye on Charli. I remember you mentioning to me that hawks were seen picking up little dog. Those hawks are hungry to.

Shellmo said...

As long as it's not too big - I think Charli should be fine. Almost reminds me of a Coppers Hawk.

Anne said...

Forgot to say that I just love your snowman cookie jar. He's so darling! Your blog looks really nice and I just love your winter music. What a nice touch for the season. Take care.

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

Can only imagine how disconcerting this would be. We're noticing large gatherings of crows everywhere...kinda freaky. Don't know if a hawk would be a help or not with that...

Stay safe, Charli!

Aaydens Mommy said...

awww hopefully Charli will be alright. Try to keep an eye on her when she is out there. =) She's just too darn cute for anything to happen to her.

Ladybug said...

Well, don't worry about Charli! That photo you have there is a sparrowhawk from the internet. If it is indeed the same bird you have in your yard, then he is just looking for dinner and won't eat poor Charli! Hawks have to have dinner too! I love hawks actually! We have a Red-Tailed Hawk in our neighborhood! :D

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! Oh, I don't know about that hawk but I do know they're pretty ferocious! I'd just watch little Charli. I didn't know she was so small! Chloe Dawn is a whopping 22 pounds! She eats too much! lol
Thank you dear one, again, for your prayers.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

prof en retraite said...

We have hawks in our neighborhood, too. I don't know how big Charli is...probably too big for you to need to worry...but when I have my kitties outside, I am always with them and keep my eyes peeled when the hawks are circling. My Isabella is a little runt of a kitty, though full grown. I have seen them grab a chipmunk! On a positive note, they are beautiful birds! They love a windy day...circling and dipping without flapping their wings for ages! ...Debbie

Lisa said...

My neighbor was concerned about his 2 puppies because a big hawk (don't know what kind of hawk) was watching them when he let them out. He warned me not to let ReyRey go outside, he was a little kitten then. Be safe rather than sorry!

nikkicrumpet said...

YIKES that danged old thing better not go after Charli! We had an owl once that took a couple of wild kittens we were trying to take care of . I was so blasted mad! I wouldn't think a bird like that would go after a dog...but I would still probably be freaked out!

Anne said...

Please head on over to Peek-A-Boo Street! I got something for you! =)

Kathy said...

When you're done @ Peek-A-Boo Street I have something for you too =)

Rosezilla said...

http://www.audubon.org/bird/boa/F2_G9d.html

Here is a link to a really charming article about sparrow hawks, that might interest you. They catch grasshoppers, crickets, sparrows, moles, and if really ambitious might try for a chicken - I think Charli is probably ok.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Carol! I hope he doesn't try to hurt Charli. I know nothing about hawks, but they tell us in Florida not to have small dogs outside alone. Eagles and other birds take prey, too. Charli is probably large enough to fend for himself. But the poor sparrows! Reminds me of that scripture about God and the sparrows.

Love to you...

XO,

Sheila

Related Posts with Thumbnails