Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Snowflakes.....


Snowflakes........



My hubby and I were having coffee in the living room this morning just before the sun came up. Every once in a while our sensor light would come on, grow dim, and turn off again. The wind was blowing ever so slightly but still it caused the snow to dance and twirl about. It looked as though millions of tiny flickering stars were falling from the sky or maybe thousands of tiny glittering fireflies were fluttering about near our front porch. I don't think I have ever noticed snowflakes in quite the same way as I have this morning. It made me think of the following poem......



"Winter Luck"

"Snowflakes....

They come down so slow,

And sometimes so fast,

Looking like pretty stars

Falling down, down, down

To the ground.

Little stars with little holes,

Bigger stars with bigger holes,

They are all cuddly snowflake stars.

Snowflakes of the tiny snows,

Snow stars of the bigger snows,

I will catch you on my hand

Or on my tongue

And make a wish...

I will make a wish on

My falling snow star,

And then have good luck

All day, all night, and Ever."

-Mattie Stepanek-



What about you?...... Have you ever made a wish on a falling snow star?.....

For the very first time in my life, since I was a child, I think I am beginning to appreciate the beauty of the snow. It always seemed like such a hassle to me before. It was always something to struggle with trying to get where it was I needed to be. Even Sunday, when I got stuck on a snow bank, on the way home from a shower, I didn't seem to get rattled like I normally would. Yes, I think I'm beginning to love the snow again. Now if I could only convince Charli....

11 comments:

Ruthie said...

I love snow also - as long as it melts quickly as it does here in CO.
That's a lovely poem.
Have a wonderful snowfilled day! :)
Smiles.
Ruthie

Ruthie said...

P.S. Boy, some of these word verifications are really crazy!

Vee ~ A Haven for Vee said...

This must be the secret...if one lives with snow, enjoy it! (I don't enjoy the hassle of snow, but I do enjoy its beauty.)

Shellmo said...

A lovely snow poem for you to share as I'm enjoying my -8 weather today! I love the snow too - just the other day I was thinking it looked like a snow globe had been shaken outside. Poor Charli - does he have some doggy boots? :-)

Smilingsal said...

I lived in Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Texas and had snow in all of those places. I never loved it. I never liked it. However, I did like LOOKING at it from a warm house, with a cup of hot chocolate!

Brenda said...

It looks like the North is in for a great freeze. It is supposed to get in the teens here so I bet you are cold. I sure would love some snow.
Please put me in for your give away.
I will be going to take care of my mom for a few weeks,but if I win you can hold it for me =)
MomEa3@aol.com

Kathy said...

What a pretty poem. I loved snow when I lived in it but I never had to do any of the work. Now I miss it.

Wendy said...

I think I like it because I don't drive and I become a hermit in the winter!!!! But it amazing to think how each flake is created by God!! Have a wonderful night!~Wendy

Anne said...

I loved your snow poem. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. I just love winter. It's such a beautiful season. It sounds like your beginning to enjoy it again to.

Tina. said...

What a lovely thought for another snow covered day. I love snowflakes, the beauty of each indicidual one, I just hate when they all gang up on me!!!

Good luck persuading Charli!

The Muse said...

im running so behind in my email..i ask forgiveness :)...it is really amazing how we find moments of vision...real vision!

Related Posts with Thumbnails