Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dogs on Thursday........



Welcome to Dogs On Thursday at http://dogsonthursday.blogspot.com/ A post where dog lovers like myself get together weekly to talk about our most precious little four legged friends. If you are interested in joining our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to go to the official Dogs On Thursday web site.....

You are not going to believe what I have to tell you about this week! Remember when I said Charli had been going up into our window ledge and how concerned we were that she would hurt herself? We were also not happy that she was scratching up the wood on our window sill. I'm happy to report that we have successfully trained Charli to go up onto the window ledge safely and we have had our window protected with glass for the past two days. However, Charli has not been up on the window ledge at all. My hubby and I were just saying isn't that like a dog. She's already tired of getting onto the window sill, while we on the other hand have been so worried, that we have spent all of this money and time when we really didn't have to.........
Well, Charli has been very upset again. For the past two days she has been crying, pacing, and refusing to go out unless I go with her. I couldn't imagine what was wrong and I have done just about everything I can think of to pacify her. I was just about ready to make an appointment with our vet when I happened to look out of my kitchen window......

Oh my gosh!..... This is what I saw having lunch in my neighbors front yard! This bird is as big as Charli! It's huge! It sort of looks like the bird I told you about a couple of weeks ago but it's doubled in size. Doubled! Please note what the bird is munching on. It is not a little bird. This guy likes big meals.....
I ran and got my camera but as you know I have been having problems with it. I wish I could have gotten better pictures. If you click on them I think you will be able to see more clearly.........


My little Charli is so smart!......
She wanted me to know that bird has been hanging around our house again. That's why she has been carrying on and fussing like she has. No wonder she didn't want to be seen in the window. She's been in hiding. The minute I said, "Charli I see that bird. Is that what you have been so upset about? You don't have to worry grandma will protect you" she calmed right down. It was amazing.......
The question is how do I protect Charli from this huge over bearing menace of a bird? I'm so concerned! That bird looks big enough to pick her up or cause major damage trying. Does any one have any suggestions as to what I should do? Charli only weighs ten pounds. Do you think she will be safe as long as I'm with her? What if the bird attacks both of us? I look forward to hearing from you.....
I hope all of you as well as your little four legged friends are doing well.....
Our warmest regards,

17 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

Oh my goodness! I hope it goes away! Honestly I don't know anything about making them go away. I know owls are supposed to scare birds off but I don't know if it works. Charli is such a smart girl! I'm glad you know it's there now. Be careful!

Soxnitter said...

It looks like a hawk. The hawks in our area have been known to pick up small dogs and cats so do be careful! I watch Sadie when she goes outside just to be sure. Good Luck!

zetor said...

Charli is a clever dog, hope that birds finds pastures new soon!

Channon said...

Smart Charli! We have coyotes, so Gretchen is never, ever outside alone.

Smilingsal said...

Just stay with her for the SHORT time that she needs to take care of business, and then back inside!

Aaydens Mommy said...

That bird is VERY Big, and looks vicious! poor Charli girl...I hope that darn bird finds somewhere else to hang out soon!

Judy said...

I do not even have a dog and yet I find myself looking forward to all of the stories that you share about"Charli". That is so similar to my sister's story about her dog. So glad that you discovered what she was trying to tell you. It fascinates me how much she understands when you talk to her.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Something is going on with Blogger lately. I just lost my post!

Be careful with Charli, Carol, and don't let her out alone. That is a hawk, and hawks can pick up small animals if they are hungry.

When my two were alive, I couldn't leave them outside for long in fear of the same thing.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Sue said...

That's a hawk. They will go after small animals. Charli will be safe as long as you're outside with her.

Vee said...

That's a good-sized hawk and I don't blame Charli for not wanting to go out. Will she use a puppy pad in the house? Not the best solution but for days when that thing is about.

dogquilter said...

Charli is a very smart pup to know the danger the hawk represented. Maybe that's why she hasn't been in the window either, afraid it could get to her through the glass.

Madeline's Album said...

Animals are really smart and know when danger is around. Charli proves that. Carol always go out with Charli to be on the safe side. Take care.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Oh my, that is a big bird, probably some cousin of the hawk, or maybe a baby one. We have coyotes too, so my little cocoa (a schnoodle) can't go out alone anymore. She so loves to run around our yard. Wildlife is wonderful, but I don't like it when our wonderful puppies are in danger. One evening a hawk swept down and took a bunny with him. It was awful. Watch that little sweetie Charli.
Karen

Charli and me said...

Thanks everyone for all the great advice you have given me to keep Charli safe. I appreciate all of it and so does Charli.

Anne said...

Keep an eye on that pooch, you just never know, lol. But seriously, I to have seen those hawks in my area and like I said in your previous post, it was tearing the stuffings out of some poor blue jay. And blue jays aren't small birds. I would definitely go out with Charli rain or shine or snow or sleet! Make sure you keep her on leash and collar, lock AND key!! =)

Claudie said...

How did I miss such a concerned little doggy on Thursday. I'm sorry Charlie.
Great advice on keeping Charlie safe. They do take little fur baby's away. Carol I also have to be carful with my little ones. We have hawks and eagles. It's scary really.
Have a safe and happy weekend.
Love Claudie, Bella, Bonnie, Toby and Kat
xoxo

HOPE said...

Found you from Ruthie...I also have a wonderful Schnauzer..

See you again..

HOPE

Related Posts with Thumbnails