Thursday, February 26, 2009

Dogs on Thursday......



Welcome to Dogs On Thursday at http://dogsonthursday.blogspot.com/ where a group of dog lovers such as myself get together weekly to write a post about their most precious four legged friends. If you are interested in joining our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Dogs On Thursday web site........

I know I have posted this picture before but I think my daughter Anne is right when she says this picture captures the true essence of Charli.........
Like I've said before, Charli is just a little girl who weighs in at ten pounds, with abnormally HUGE ears, and the most darling little face. She is so sweet and kind, yet she can be very stubborn and opinionated. She is a handful most days, mostly because she is such an anxious little thing, and I sometimes wonder what would have ever happened to her had I not taken her. She is always full of surprises and is the most unusual dog I've ever had. She is my very best friend and I love her with all of my heart.......

It all happened a couple of days ago..........
We have an attached garage and my hubby noticed some evidence of a mouse very near to our back entry. We discussed the possibility of getting a mouse trap. My hubby told me it might be a good idea to set a couple of traps in the house just in case the mouse had already gotten in. I agreed, but said, that they would have to be placed where Charli would never be able to get to them........
Last night I was busy working in my office when I heard my husband yelling at Charli. He was saying "What did you do?'" I yelled, "What's going on? What did she do?" I stood up and started walking to our stairway when I heard him say, "She ate rat poison!".........
My husband is the type of guy who always does things in a big way. I didn't even know he had gone to the store much less what he was doing. He decided to put rat poisoning in the ceiling of our basement just in case the mouse might have come into the house. He started in the bathroom, then went to the bedroom, and was working in the TV area when all of this occurred. For some reason he decided he would slide all of the ceiling panels back when he was completely finished with what he was doing. Some how while he was working in the TV area, one of the bars fell from the ceiling in the bedroom, and Charli found it. When my hubby looked down he saw Charli laying on the floor chewing on a rat poison bar. Two other bars were unaccounted for at that time......
I grabbed the rat poison package, picked up Charli, the keys, my purse, and literally ran out of the house. Luckily I knew where there was an Animal Emergency Hospital close to our house......
Charli was immediately seen at the hospital and her stomach was pumped. She seems to be doing fine. She will be on vitamin K for one month. I am very upset that Charli has to be on vitamin K because of an unnecessary accident but I'm grateful that she's probably not going to have any problems other than the potential side effects of the medication. She has to have some lab work drawn in a couple of weeks.......
I don't think Charli had time to be anxious because everything happened so quickly. The entire staff at the hospital just fell in love with her. They were all petting her and talking to her. What was surprisingly is that she let them! She even allowed the doctor to pick her up! Her ears weren't sticking up and she wasn't shaking at all. I think she knew they had saved her life ♥.....
A very valuable lesson was learned here........
I hope this post will be a helpful learning experience to others out there who might be considering purchasing rat poison or any other type of poison. Accidents can happen in a split second and something like this is just not worth the risk. Many animals are poisoned without their owners knowledge, and in a week, or so, they die, or become very, very ill....... Luckily I got Charli to the hospital when I did.....
I will not be able to completely calm down though until I know my little Charli is 100% OK......

20 comments:

Channon said...

Thank goodness you reacted so quickly! We'll be praying all goes well and Charli is soon fully recovered.

Marjie said...

Good thing for Charli that you were alert! We never keep rat poison for fear of harm to an intentional creature, human or canine. Our son Dan (the flooring guru) spotted a mouse when he was home for Christmas, set a few traps, and we had 4 mice in 2 days. No more have appeared, and it's been a month. Our experience with an 80 year old house is that you get them right away. Just keep Charli safe!

dogquilter said...

Wow! I'm so glad you knew where the emergency clinic was and reacted so fast. Charli is very blessed to have you as her momma. I'm sure she will be 100% soon. Thanks for the reminder too!

Shellmo said...

I'm so glad Charli is okay and that you discovered it in time! Marvin sends his best kitty wishes!!

Aaydens Mommy said...

oh my goodness!! I didn't know that this happened to poor Charli! I am SO glad you were able to get her to the hospital in time. Boy oh boy, how scary! I can't wait to see her on Saturday in her Mardi Gras gear! =)

♥ Kathy said...

Oh no!! That's terrible!! :( I am SO glad you saw her right away and got her to the vet! It's just scary. You have to watch out with little kids around the rat poison too. So scary. I'm just glad Charli is ok. Bless her heart :(

Vee said...

So when does darling hubby get out of the dog house? LOL!

Poor Charli! I'm so glad that you were able to take charge and get her to the clinic right away. I certainly hope that she's learned her lesson, though. Poor little thing.

dogyarnfun said...

What a story. I'm so happy to hear that Charlie made it a full recovery. She is a cutie. Love those ears.

Tina. said...

Thank heavens she is alright! Wow! I am sure it was upsetting but a good lesson for us all!

nikkicrumpet said...

OH MY GOSH...that had to be the scariest thing ever!! I got chills just reading the story. I'm so glad your sweet little Charli is okay. I can't imagine how horrible that must have been. I need to tell this story to my hubby just so he doesn't do something like that without thinking too.

Madeline's Album said...

Now I know why I do not have any pets. I would have had a heart attack if that had happened to one of my dogs. I am so glad you were there and acted as quickly as you did. I have just fallen in love with Charli and would have been heart broken had any thing bad had happened to her. Glad she is ok. Have a blessed day.

Shelia said...

Oh, my goodness, Carol! That's terrifying! I'm so glad y'all noticed! Poor little darling! I think Charli is like Chloe Dawn - she puts everything in her mouth like a little baby!
So glad you had your head on your shoulders and didn't panic and knew what to do - you saved her life by getting her help so quickly!
She is just the cutest little thing! Knowing Chloe Dawn weighs 20 pounds - I'm sure Charli looks like a little puppy! Oh, praise God, Carol!
Be a sweetie and Chloe Dawn and I send our love,
Shelia ;)

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Oh my gosh how frightening. I'm so glad Charli is okay.

I have two dogs as well who get into the darndest things. They sure do become your kids right quick. Today we had vet visits and sang to a tune of well, a LOT. But they are worth every penny.

Thank you for stopping by my blog and hope to see you more often.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Carol! What a nightmare you've been through! You poor thing, and poor little Charli! I'm so relieved she's okay. My heart stopped when you said she'd eaten it!

I was once told years ago not to put out poison for not only this reason, but because if a mouse or rat gets it and eats it, they could die in your wall. Traps and glue boards were the solution (they caught it)... but you have to put both where they can't be gotten to... like an attic or basement.

I'm just shaking in my shoes from reading this, but I hope and pray that Charli will be alright.

XO,

Sheila

The Muse said...

We are all sending thoughts of get better for ms Charli!

Neabear said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! I hope Charlie is still okay.

Anne said...

I'm so glad Charli is ok. I hope she continues to do good with her medicine. I know she is in good hands. I do love that picture of Charli. I'm glad you posted it again. She's so cute. Keep us posted on how she's doing. ♥

Joy said...

Bless her heart! So glad she's going to be fine. She is a darling. I have a boy dog with the same name, thus the "e" on the end. ;o)

Stopped by to say hello via Blogs Around the World. :o)

Julie said...

Somehow I originally missed this post. Your Charli is SO lucky. When I was 12 I got a beautiful shepherd/collie cross that I named Smoky. That was on June 25 - my birthday. It was the first dog that was mine, not just a family dog. She was dead by August. She had gone down to the grain elevators and ate rat poison. We found her dead in the driveway next morning. I was heartbroken and sobbed for weeks.

sa said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色,性愛

Related Posts with Thumbnails