Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting ready for Mardi Gras!.......






Getting ready for Mardi Gras!.......

When I was growing up we always celebrated 'Punchki Day,' as it was called in our home, or 'Fat Tuesday.' It was a festive day, a celebration of sorts, where we got to eat all of the sweets we wanted in anticipation of the fasting and somber days of Lent. It was a day of discussion as we all talked about the meaning of Lent, what we were going to give up, and why......




My grandmother would usually go to Hamtramck, a local Polish community, and bring us the most delicious jelly donuts you would ever want to eat.....


Although I had heard of Mardi Gras growing up I never celebrated it until this year. Instead, I always followed the Eastern European pre Lent tradition I grew up with. Now thanks to our own little Annie our family is going to have it's very first Mardi Gras celebration! I am so excited!.... You know how I love our family parties!... I'm hoping Mardi Gras will become a new tradition and family favorite.

I have been very busy this weekend getting ready. Hubby and I have our hats, beads, and masks all ready to go......
I made chocolate Fleur-de-lys suckers and wrapped them in the traditional Mardi Gras colors as one of my contributions......
Purple-justice
Green-faith
Gold-power

According to the web sites I visited the Fleur-de-lys, 'flower of the lily', symbolizes many different things. Some people say the Fleur-de-lys symbolizes perfection, light, and life. Others say it's three petals represent the Holy Trinity. The Fleur-de-lys is known to represent the Holy Mother. Still others say it represents the Virgin Saints and Martyrs, especially St. Jeanne d'arc, the maid of Orleans, first patroness Saint of France. Some people believe it represents all of these things and more. The Fleur-de-lys became associated with Louisiana when Louisiana was under French rule....
Charli just loves parties and she is all set to go... She looks sooo New Orleans! Don't you think?....
I wonder if Peeper is going to dress up?.....
I will tell you more about my very first Mardi Gras party in an up coming post. Isn't our Anne just the greatest to host such a fun family event?....
What about all of you? Do you celebrate 'Fat Tuesday'? What are some of your family traditions, new or old?....
I look forward to hearing from you.......
With warmest regards, Carol

22 comments:

Brenda said...

Great post. Im from Louisiana,but my family was Baptist.I still have to have a king cake though.

Madeline's Album said...

What a great post. Charli looks so cute in her Mardi Gras getup. As kids growing up we used to give up all sweets for lent, so we used to eat all we could the Tuesday before lent. We never had a party and now that I live in alabama and can attend Mardi Gras I am not inclined to get down in that mob, to old I guess. Enjoy the party. Will be looking for your post all about it. Have a blessed day.

zetor said...

You suit that colour Charli!!!

Sandy said...

Oh what fun! Can't wait for the pictures!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I too, enjoy parties, especially when they celebrate something fun. My family never celebrated Mardi Gras, although my mother always made sure she purchased homemade fasnaughts for each of us. I am looking forward to seeing your pictures of this event. Charli sure does look good!!

ceekay said...

No Mardi Gras here, but I remember Hamtramak well. Do you also remember the butter lambs for Easter dinner? I have a bugger of a time finding them here in AZ. I think 1 time in 13 years we had one.
Have fun at your party. Thanks for coming by. Talk to you soon.

Charli and me said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments. I do remember the butter lambs. We have at least one every year :>)

Deedee said...

Happy Fat Tuesday to you too! Charli is adorable-what kind of dog is she? She looks like a white mini schnauzer! I have a little female schnauzer/cattle dog mix. I bet they'd love each other! Have fun with Mardi Gras.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, that sounds like a lot of fun. I think Charli looks very snazzy, and I can't wait to hear about your party! :-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lisa said...

Great fun and great post. I learned a thing or two. Thank you. Charli fits right in with the swing of things!! Keep us posted...

Lisa said...

I have always wondered when Mardi Gras celebrations would become widespread. Thanks for doing your part. :)

Aaydens Mommy said...

We are getting really excited too over here for the Mardi Gras party! I just love your hats and accessories. can't wait to see the candy! YUM =) We already had a punczki since they had them out last week, but I'd still rather have a real one from Hamtramck!

Shellmo said...

Charli will be the best dressed for sure! Love the purple! And what a fun idea to have a mardi gras party! You're making me think I should throw a small family one!

Vanilla Lavender said...

oooh tell me about those jelly donuts... in Brazil we call them "dreams". Isn't just like a dream when you bite them? Have a great week! Vanessa

Anne said...

Darlin' it's starting to look like Mardi Gras over here. I to can't wait to get the party started. It's going to be so much fun. I love your masks and hats. And Charli is going to fit right in.

nikkicrumpet said...

AWWWW Charli looks so darn cute. I hope you guys have a wonderful time. And pictures...we want lots of pictures!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Wonderful post!!

The Fleur is also a symbol for St Louis, MO, because of it's French history.

prof en retraite said...

Happy Mardi Gras!! I know you will have a great time at your celebration. Charli looks like she is ready to party! Can't wait to see the pics. Have a great week...Debbie

♥ Kathy said...

Anne is excited too I know! I always make a King Cake. It's just going to be Tim and I this year so we probably won't do much :) Charli looks adorable in purple!! Hope you're having a nice morning Carol ♥

Aaydens Mommy said...

stop on by my blog when you get a minute. I have something for you!

dogyarnfun said...

Those Mardi Gras treats look yummy.

Smilingsal said...

Charli looks good; that's her color.

I never have celebrated Mardi Gras; I think it's more a New Orleans thing. Who is Annie?

Related Posts with Thumbnails