Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Widow's War..... A book review......




The Widow's War.........


The Widow's War, written by Sally Gunning, is a historical novel that takes place in 1761, in Cape Cod, in the years just prior to the war of independence. In the first few pages of the book you will find the following quote:

"Now one of the most essential branches of English liberty is the freedom of one's house. A man's house is his castle; and whilst he is quiet, he [should be] as secure in his house as a prince in his castle.
Are not women born as free as men? Would it not be infamous to assert that the ladies are all slaves by nature?"
-James Otis (1725-1783)

The Widow's War is the story of Lyddie Berry. Lyddie's husband, Edward Berry, is a whaler who loses his life when his boat capsizes in the sea off of the coast of New England. As she struggles with her grief over the loss of her husband Lyddie finds herself in the same situation as many colonial women did. She finds out her property and rights have legally been given over to the nearest male relative. In Lyddie's case it is to her disdainful and bully of a son-in-law. However, the strong willed and courageous Lyddie refuses to except her situation. Instead she embarks on the biggest battle of her life, that of survival.
The widow's war is a story about race, gender, and class. It is about the pursuit of happiness and the refusal to give up control over one's own life. In the story Lyddie does the unheard of, and breaks all of societies norms, when she hires an attorney, breaks with her church, and becomes involved with an Indian.
The Widow's War is also a story about the harsh reality of daily life for women as they struggled to run their homes, take care of their families, and keep food on their tables in precarious colonial times.

15 comments:

Channon said...

Sounds like a great read. I'll have to add it to my list...

Judy said...

It is difficult to imagine the struggles, pain, and loneliness this widow faced. Sounds like an interesting book. One that would help me to reflect on the freedoms that I have, and so often take for granted.

Madeline's Album said...

Amen to what Judy said.

Shellmo said...

I second Judy on her thoughts! And this definitely seems like a good book to pick up!

Lisa said...

Me too, I'm going to add this to my future read list. I really need to start. My goal is 1 book per month at least. I handled 2 in Jan. but have yet to start one for Feb. I have a huge list...

Shannon said...

I have recently started to really get into historical fiction. I'll have to pick this one up!

Shelia said...

Hi Carol. This sounds like a great book. Oh, Chloe is so jealous of little Charli because Chloe Dawn says Charlie is the clothes dog in Blogland! lol
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Wendy said...

That sounds like a great book! I love books set back in the olden days!! I will look for it!! Have a wonderful Sunday and thank you for your prayers my friend!!~HUGS~Wendy

Vee said...

This sounds like a book that I could get very interested in. Thanks for the excellent review. You definitely have made me curious.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol! This books sounds GREAT! I can't wait to go get a copy. I love history, I love that period in history, and I love New England because one side of my family has strong NE roots. This sounds great to me! But even more than that, I think I take for granted the things that women went through that we might have various freedoms. My great grandmother was a sufragette in the Deep South in a state that never passed women's suffrage. So in her honor, I try never to miss a vote. This, though, sounds like a great read!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Happy @ Home said...

Thanks for your review of this book. It sounds like one I would enjoy reading.

hilltopper said...

this looks like a good read! i may have to check out my library for it.

thank you for visiting my blog, i like seeing a new "face" every now and then.

Smilingsal said...

Good review, Carol. Thanks for sharing.

Marina Capano said...

Hi!!That sounds like a great book! your dog is so cute!!!

visit me anytime...
xoxo

Marina

Charli and me said...

Thanks to all of you who left comments on this post. I appreiciate hearing from each and everyone of you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails