Monday, March 2, 2009

And a good time was had by all!....

Mardi Gras..........

A good time was had by all!.....

Anne and Mike hosted our families very first Mardi Gras party last weekend at their home. What a great time all of us had! The party was a little later in the week than originally planned because of a conflict of scheduling with Ryan's religious classes but it was well worth the wait. It was a fabulous party!


When we pulled up at Anne and Mike's the first thing we noticed were all of the fabulous decorations. They were every where. They were on the door and all over the windows. Everything looked so festive! It didn't stop there though..... There were Mardi Gras decorations all over the mirrors, doors, and windows inside of the house too. There were even colored beads hanging from some of the light fixtures. It was absolutely wonderful! I felt like I was in New Orleans.....

Our family wore hats, beads, masks, jewelry, and Anne even had on one of those feathered thingies draped around her neck....

As we came in the door we were given beads to put around our necks in the tradition colors of purple, green, and gold. You could already hear the Mardi Gras music playing in the background....











We were offered the most delicious punch served in Mardi Gras cups of course. Our son Michael made Jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese and then wrapped in bacon that were absolutely yummy. We also had pretzels and chips. I made stuffed potato skins which is always a crowd pleaser in our family.....

If that was not enough we were treated to a scrumptious authentic New Orleans sit down dinner which consisted of Chicken Jambalaya, Black eyed peas, and corn bread all made by our lovely daughter Anne. She even made a King Cake! Doesn't it look delicious! A traditional king cake always has a baby hidden some where inside and it was so much fun to see which piece contained the baby. We were all so excited when Anne found it!........

Anne also found all kinds of trivia related to Mardi Gras and we had loads of fun taking turns reading it aloud and then discussing it. We love to do stuff like that in our family. Our day was filled with great conversation and fun....

Here are some pictures I took as I was getting ready to go to the party. Stuffed potato skins are so good and easy to make. You saw my chocolate Fleur-de-lys suckers in a previous post. They were a take home treat and went over very well. I also made New Orleans Pralines. These are the ones that are supposedly sold on the streets during the Mardi Gras festival. They were just fabulous! I found a recipe for them on line. They are actually a French delicacy which are very sweet and delicious. You wouldn't want to eat more than just one.......

Our family just loves our little parties and get togethers. Everyone gets involved to make them extra special and fun. We decided we are going to make celebrating Mardi Gras yet another family tradition.......

I don't think it would matter how small my family was, although ours fortunately keeps growing, I will always continue to decorate and celebrate all of these wonderful little holidays every year in some way. I am so pleased we have now added Mardi Gras to the mix. To me these holidays represent little yearly pleasantries one could never do with out. The love of these little parties is one of the most cherished gifts my mother ever gave me. To get together with my family, hug, smile, laugh, and talk is really what life is all about......

I know you have seen this picture of Charli before but she didn't want to be excluded from the post because she really loves our family parties too. Half way through this one she and Peeper collapsed and took a little nap. Charli had her head on Peepers tummy. They looked so cute sleeping away right in the middle of the party. They were exhausted. Charli and Peeper get so much attention and then of course there are the treats.......
Well, my house is decorated for Saint Patrick's Day and I have been busy making a list of the things I will need for the Easter celebration I am hosting this year. What about you? Do you celebrate the holidays? If so, what are some of your favorite family traditions? I look forward to hearing from you.......
Happy day everyone!......
With warmest regards, Carol

16 comments:

Anne said...

We did have a good time didn't we? It was so much fun. I'm so glad that you and Dad were there. ♥

Just a little something from Judy said...

My mother instilled a love of parties in me, also. What a lovely party you all had...so festive, colorful and the food must have tasted so good! It fascinated me to see all that was included in a Mardi Gras party.

♥ Kathy said...

How wonderful Carol! Anne was so proud...I could tell by her post! :) I think it's just so cool that y'all have these get togethers. You can totally tell that there is so much love in y'alls homes ♥ It just warms my heart.

Smilingsal said...

How fun! Everything looked so pretty and delicious. I've never even heard of a Mardi Gras party!

Madeline's Album said...

Glad the Mardi Gras party was a hit. Sounds like you all had a great time. My house too is decorated for St. Patrick's Day. Will be getting my Easter decorations put up the day after St. Patrick's day is over. The only get togethers we have here are our birthdays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July. Have a blessed day. Madeline

Vee said...

It does look as if someone went to a great deal of effort on behalf of her family. Just wonderful!

Love seeing the little decorative touches for St. Patrick's Day. Something that I do not do, but every now and then, I do enjoy a Shamrock shake or a wee bit of clover.

Brenda said...

I was so happy to see the party turned out well. It takes much time to pull off something like this.
the food and pictures look amazing!

zetor said...

Sounds like a wonderful party!

BittersweetPunkin said...

That sounds like it was a wonderful Mardi Gras party! All that food looks soooo yummy!

louise said...

These occasions are great for bringing the family together and for trying out new recipes and tastes. I hope to have relatives over on Easter Sunday. The King Cake looks fabulous and I love the trivia about Mardi Gras. x

Aaydens Mommy said...

We had a blast at the party as well! I love our family. It's the best, isn't it?!?! <3

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing your party. Themes are always so much fun. The food looked wonderful. It looks like your family knows how to have a grand time.

Picket said...

I love any excuse for family to gather together! Looks like a fantastic party and what a great tradition to start...There is nothing more precious to me than my family and I can just cook a big meal and they will all gather and we laugh for hours and hug and kiss all the grandbabies.life is so good! Thanks for coming by sweetie...hope you are having a great week!

Shellmo said...

What a wonderful, wonderful party! Loved seeing the decorations and the cake looked so yummy! Just a FAB idea - I may have to copy next year! And I still adore Charli's attire!

Julie said...

Oh, what fun, and such delicious looking and sounding food. I have never been to a Mardi Gras party. I did know about King Cake, though, only because Joyce of "The Secret Gardener" blog wrote a bit about it in Jan. and I made her give me all the details.

Looks like Chari has a purple bow in honor of Mardi Gras!

Sue said...

What a fun party. I'll have to remember this next year.

Related Posts with Thumbnails