Thursday, March 26, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........

Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A post where book lovers like myself get together weekly to answer specific questions related to reading and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site...........

This week our question is as follows:
"The opposite of last week's question: What's the best 'worst' book you've ever read- the one you like despite some negative reviews or features?"


This question is yet another difficult one for me to answer. I guess I would have to say that the 'worst' best book I've ever read was '100 Years of Solitude'........
It's not so much that '100 Years Of Solitude' received negative reviews, because it actually got some wonderful and raving reviews, but many people I've talked to just didn't like the book at all. My hubby, who is an avid reader couldn't get past the second chapter. He thought it was just to hokey for him. I, on the other hand, absolutely loved it! I think Marquez is a literary genius to come up with such a colorful and magical tale as this. For me the book had so much to offer. It's mythical, magical, and even political. It's a story about love, death, and superstition that covers many generations of a particular family in a small fictitious South American town. The characters are very colorful, intriguing, and different. I couldn't help but love them. '100 Years Of Solitude' is also a learning experience as it relates to cultural diversity. The story is very different from any thing I've ever read. I would love to read it again some day with a book guide, or in a literary club, because I'm sure there were many things I missed.......
Happy Booking Through Thursday everyone!.......
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

Blodeuedd said...

Another Marquez one, I can't figure out if I should or shouldn't read his books. There are the great reviews, then there are the readers that doesn't like it...guess I should try for myself.

Dot said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, I haven't seen the Twilight film yet, missed it at the cinema so just waiting for the DVD to be released in the UK. I have not read 100 years of solitude but have hard a lot of good things about the author. Happy BTT!

violetcrush said...

I have 100 years... and Love in the time of cholera by Marquez. But I haven't read either. But if given a choice I would pick up Love in...first, it somehow appeals more to me...

Just a little something from Judy said...

Each book you review for us, creates a curiosity in me, and I find myself mentally putting it on a "must read" list. You certainly have a talent for writing thought provoking book reviews. With this one, I find myself thinking, "why, did she like this book and her husband, did not?" I bet I could figure that out if I read the book.

Jess said...

I tried to read this book and like your husband couldn't get all the way through. The names kept confusing me and I just got frustrated.

http://barneysbookblog.blogspot.com/2009/03/booking-through-thursday_26.html

Shellmo said...

Another book you've made me curious about!

Smilingsal said...

You are correct. I HAD to read this for a college course (Latin American Fiction) and although I appreciated it, I did not like it.

I did not do this meme today, as I felt the question was another of the "Let's see if we can confuse them again" types.

The Muse said...

Isn't it odd how as a couple, with so much in common (I assume)...can like and dislike books so adamantly? LOL

But, it is a joy that we can express our individuality :) isn't it?

Robin of My Two Blessings said...

Marquez is one I've heard alot of good things about so putting him on my wishlist. My post is up now.
here

♥ Kathy said...

That sounds like a good book Carol. Hope you're having a nice Thursday ♥

Marie said...

I thought it was brilliant. One of my favorite all-time reads!I love Marquez!

Related Posts with Thumbnails