Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Five Spring Cleaning Tips for Your Computer......



Five Spring Cleaning tips for your Computer.......

March 21 marks the first day of spring-on the calendar, anyway. To usher in the new season, roll up your sleeves and perform spring-cleaning tasks on your PC....

1. Get rid of clutter. Start your clean up with the most obvious items: icons. The small icons on your task bar represent programs that start up as your computer boots, and it takes time to find the icons for all those short cuts. Remove or turn off unnecessary ones. And do you need immediate access to all those files, pictures, and MP3's on your desk top? Not likely, so organize them in folders....

2. Remove old programs. If you've never used a program that came with your computer or haven't used it in over a year, you may want to consider trashing it. Be sure to use the Uninstall feature to do so.......

3. Defrag your computer. As you work on your PC, information gets stored on the hard drive in bits and pieces. Then, to open a certain file, your computer runs around looking for all the components. The defragment tool will make your hard drive more efficient. In newer versions of windows, you can set your PC to defrag automatically on a regular basis......

4. Clear your cache. Every time you visit a new web site, content is stored in your Temporary Internet Files folder, or cache. Not only does this make surfing the web slower, but also takes up valuable space on your hard drive. To clear your cache, click Tools-Internet Options on your web browser and follow directions....

5. Assess your memory and tools. The more programs you keep open while you work, the more random memory you need to keep them running smoothly. In this day and age, it's a good idea to have 1 GB of RAM.
-National Security, Inc.-March 2009-
per e-mail.......

I am going to start my spring cleaning..... How about you?.....
I hope you have found this information helpful. I know I did....
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post, I needed this!!! Cannot wait for March 21!!!

Ruthie said...

Good pointers for us. Thanks.

Shellmo said...

This is a great spring reminder! (Especially since I had a computer crash last month and had to get a new one!) Thanks for sharing!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a great post!! One I try to do on a fairly weekly basis..I'm so glad you found me.. I hope you come for a visit again soon. I hope the health issues you all experienced have straightened out.. it's certainly a roller coaster around here. A life of fear..he's doing well for the most part right now..I appreciate your visit...hugs ~lynne~

♥ Kathy said...

I have the automatic programs..it makes it really nice. I remember when I didn't have them I would forget and then FINALLY remember when it was really messing up. Thanks for the reminders Carol :) Hope you're having a good night! ♥

MARIA said...

Definitely I need to clean my computer.
Thank you so much for great advices.
God bless!

Aaydens Mommy said...

Yes, I will be starting my spring cleaning as well! I actually really like to do my spring cleaning...oh wait that is the only cleaning I like to do at all LOL =) Have a good day!

Smilingsal said...

Check and recheck! Thanks.

Penny @ The Comforts of Home/Lavender Hill Studio said...

Great idea!

Vee said...

Yup! I need this one, too.

Julie said...

Thank you for this. I am so non-techy I desperately need such information.

Anne said...

Yes I did find it informative, thank you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails