Friday, March 13, 2009

Hopeful Friday.....


Welcome to Hopeful Friday, a post hosted by my friend Cielo, at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/ This is a post dedicated to positive thoughts and inspirational messages. It is a post to celebrate God. Thank you Cielo for hosting this beautiful and inspiring post. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Hopeful Friday web site........


'Prophets of a Future not our own'
(referred to as the Romero Prayer)


It helps now and then to step back and
take the long view.

The Kingdom is not only beyond our efforts,
it is beyond our vision.
We accomplish in our lifetime only a tiny fraction of the magnificent enterprise that is God's work.
Nothing we do is complete, which is another way of saying that the Kingdom
always lies beyond us.
No statement says all that could be said.
No prayer fully expresses our faith.
No confession brings perfection.
No pastoral visit brings wholeness.
No program accomplishes the Church's mission.
No set goals and objectives includes everything.
This is what we are about: We plant seeds that one day will grow.
We water seeds already planted, knowing that they hold future promise.
We lay foundations that will need further development.
We provide yeast that produces effects beyond our capabilities.
We cannot do everything, and there is a sense of liberation in realizing that.
This enables us to do something, and to do it very well.
It may be incomplete, but it is a beginning, a step along the way,
an opportunity for God's grace to enter and do the rest.
We may never see the end result, but that is the difference
between the master builder and the worker.
We are workers, not Master Builders, ministers, not Messiahs.
We are prophets of a future not our own. Amen
-Bishop Ken Untener-
The Little Black Book
Six-minute reflections on the Weekly Gospels of Lent 2009


I was taking a International Studies class at Oakland University when I was first introduced to the work of Father Romero. He was the archbishop and a martyr of San Salvador. In our class we were asked to see Latin inspired movies and write reviews. I saw this movie several times and was deeply moved. Father Romero was just a humble country priest who never really wanted to get involved with much of anything. Then he was appointed archbishop of San Salvador. In the beginning the political elite of the country were not concerned with his appointment because Father Romero was considered a push over and some what of a pacifist. As Father Romero struggled with his faith, and his position, he saw what it was that God wanted him to do. He became impassioned with the struggles of the poor, angry with the abuse of the civilian population, and took on the politicians of San Salvador. Father Romero was murdered as he was giving communion to his parishioners one Sunday morning in his parish church.....

When my granddaughter Jessica was preparing for her confirmation, I was deeply honored, that she asked me to be her sponsor. One of the activities we were assigned to do was to see a movie that had something to do with religion and write a little report. I immediately thought of the movie 'Romero.'

God gives us all a sense of purpose. 'We plant the seeds that some day will grow' 'We are prophets of a future not our own.'

Peace be with all of you!.....

I hope you are having a lovely and blessed Hopeful Friday!.....

With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

Shellmo said...

I must see this movie now - thank you for sharing it!

Aaydens Mommy said...

I remember watching that movie with you and mom while we were preparing for my Confirmation. It was a good movie! =) <3

zetor said...

Thought provoking post, I remember Fr. Romero.

Madeline's Album said...

Great post. Have a blessed day.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Another movie I would like to see. All that you shared was inspiring and caused me to think about what really matters in life.

Vee said...

I remember hearing about that movie...I'm putting it on my list. It's often a challenge to find them, but then perhaps a membership to Netflix is in order.

Anne said...

Oh Mom I just loved that Fr. Romero prayer. I've never heard of that prayer before. I to remember seeing that movie with you and Jess and I would love to see it again. Happy Hopeful Friday!

Charli and me said...

Thanks to all of you for all your lovely comments ♥

♥ Kathy said...

I haven't seen that movie but I want to now :) hope y'all are having a great weekend Carol ♥

Michael said...

Thanks again for this post ... It gave me great perspective! And I have added the movie to my list!

My Maine Cottage said...

Thanks for sharring the site about the Chicago River- I love Chicago and have always wanted to see the river turned green. I also enjoyed the links to the Michigan Blogger. I grew up in Michigan so its fun to read a blog from someone out that way! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails