Friday, March 13, 2009

Irish Soda Bread........


Irish Soda Bread
Also called (spotted Dog)

This recipe comes from Will O'Glenn Irish Bed and Breakfast
Glenn, Michigan
The recipe was shared by Mrs. Biddy Gahan (her mom) from Cahir, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.


Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp double acting baking powder
5 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:
In small bowl, pour boiling water over raisins, let stand 5 minutes. In large bowl, sift flour, soda, baking powder, and sugar. Cut in butter until the mixture looks like course crumbs. Drain raisins, stir into flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Stir vigorously with a fork.

Shape into ball and flatten ever so slightly. (It should look like a ball) Place on a greased 8 inch pie plate. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees, lower heat to 375 degrees, and bake 10-15 more minutes, or until knife comes out clean.

Remove from pie plate. Cool one hour. Cut into wedges. Makes 10 servings.
The bread will have a scone like consistency......

Now this is the most important part of making any Irish bread recipe. When you get the bread into your pan, just prior to baking, take a knife and gently carve a Cross across the top to bless it. Then poke four holes in the bread to let the faeries out. Your bread will turn out perfect every time


This is a picture of the Irish Soda Bread (spotted Dog) I made last year. I make Irish Soda Bread every year on Saint Patrick's Day. It's easy to make and so yummy! Serve plain, with butter, jellies, or Devonshire Cream.........

Devonshire Cream can be used as a filling for tarts, with fresh berries, or with scones. This recipe comes from Joy of Baking.com.

Devonshire Cream

4 ounces mascarpone
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
1 or 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Zest of lemon or lime (optional)

Place all ingredients in a large bowl and beat until the mixture holds it's shape and looks like softly whipped cream. Use right away or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

If you try either of these recipes I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

A Stitch In Thyme said...

This looks so yummy! My aunt's used to make this for our visits and I still remember the smell of it cooking in the oven. Memories come roaring back with irish food.

Judith said...

When we lived in Northern Ireland in the 80's my husband's fabvourite breakfast was soda bread with a sauage and egg in the middle. Judith

MARIA said...

Thank you dear Carol for those yummy recipes.
I'll be try to make Irish soda bread, sounds yummy and easy to make. And I like this idea with carve a Cross to bless it.

Have a bless weekend!

MARIA said...

I have a recipe for Irish bread too. It is on my other blog, with video (left top corner)
http://cosnaslodko.blogspot.com/

Have a beautiful weekend!

Smilingsal said...

Top o’ the mornin’ to ya! I have a good friend who makes Irish soda bread for her husband every year on St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for the recipe.

Aaydens Mommy said...

The soda bread looks so delicious. I think I might just try to make that this year! We'll see how it goes LOL

Oh P.S. I recieved an A on my Ireland speech! =)

♥ Kathy said...

Yum :)

Ruthie said...

Looks delicious. Don't know that I've ever tasted it.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Last year my husband and I were invited to the home of a couple in our neignborhood, for a St. Patrick's Day dinner. It was our first introduction to Irish soda bread and devonshire cream. We enjoyed both of them. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us, and reminding us of the Irish dinner we were served.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Wow, does this sound good!!! Did you participate in Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum 'cause this would have been perfect! If not...maybe you can link to this post for next Friday. Thanks for the recipes! Susan

Vee said...

Oh that recipe is a little more complicated than the one I usually use. I'll see if I have all the ingredients, but I'd like to try it.

Anonymous said...

This is a delicious Irish Soda Bread - full of raisins and moisty!! During the baking process, after lowering the oven temperature to 375°F, I needed to bake the bread for 30 minutes in my oven. Next weekend I plan to bake another bread for my family to enjoy, again.

Carol, thank you for sharing this easy recipe. I also have a cooking blog where I share favorite family recipes. Please visit:

http://www.atastythought.blogspot.com/

Happy baking!
JG

Lavender Dreamer said...

I made this bread and it was delicious! I posted about it on my blog this morning! Thanks!

http://lavenderdreamstoo.blogspot.com/

disa said...

免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,A片,情趣用品,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,史萊姆,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片,成人漫畫,成人文學,成人遊戲,成人電影,成人論壇,成人,做愛,aio,情色小說,ut聊天室,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080視訊聊天室,免費視訊聊天,哈啦聊天室,視訊聊天,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,6k聊天室,視訊聊天室

Related Posts with Thumbnails