Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Twilight, the book, the movie, some thoughts..........



'Twilight', the book, the movie, some thoughts..........


Even though I don't have a teenage daughter, or granddaughter, when I heard of all the hoopla surround the book 'Twilight' I knew I wanted to read it. Over all I liked the book. It was a fast, and easy read, with an interesting plot. It's an old fashioned love story and I can see why so many teenage girls are enamored with it. I have previously written a review of the book which can be found in the archives of my blog.......

My friend Cori and I like to read together and trade books back and forth. She expressed a desire to read 'Twilight', after hearing me talk about it, and she liked it so much that we decided to see the movie together. We went to the movies having no expectations at all because usually the movie interpretation is not even close to the book. Surprisingly though, both of us liked the movie.......

One of the things, both Cori, and I, thought could have made the story line 'Twilight' better is if the characters would have been older which would have made them easier to relate to and far more appealing to women of our age. In the story it was also hard to believe, knowing teenagers as we do, that Bella was so much more mature than other girls her age. In addition, it was unrealistic to believe that Bella did not seem to be the least rattled that she was dating a vampire. Like Juliet though, in 'Romeo and Juliet', Bella was love struck to the point of even being willing to die to be with her Romeo, or Edward...........

'Twilight' is not that much different than other cult movies and books that have been produced through the years. Movies, and or books like, 'Romeo and Juliet', 'Dirty Dancing', 'Grease', 'Beach Party' 'Rebel Without A Cause', and 'West Side Story' to name a few. These movies, and or books, have always appealed to the younger crowd, whether because of the dancing, the music, or the story line. However, I think the one's with the story line about the misunderstood boy and the love struck girl are one's we remember the most, and especially for young girls and the die hard romantics like myself.......

In my day it was certainly 'Rebel Without A Cause' and 'West side Story'. Who could forget the venerability of James Dean in 'Rebel Without A Cause', or the soundtrack and dancing in 'West Side Story'
Every generation of young girls as well as boys have their favorites, and this generation, as far as the girls are concerned, have seemed to adopt 'Twilight' as there own.........








Actually 'Twilight' reminded me a lot of 'Rebel Without A Cause'. I thought the characters Jim Stark and Edward Cullen are portrayed in a similar way in the movie.....
'Twilight' is considered a drama as well as a romantic movie. I don't think I would have liked the movie as much had I not read the book first. I thought the director did a good job. The movie is more to do with teenagers acting silly as they normally do, talking about who they are dating, and what they are going to wear to the prom, than anything else. There is a love story here though with a supernatural spin. It had some great special effects and beautiful scenery with meadows, wild flowers, lakes, mountains, and trees. I thought the characterizations were believable and although a lot was left out the movie it stayed true to the story line. To me it was like looking at flashes or snippets found in the book........
I think there are some good things that can be taken away from this book and the movie. Interestingly enough, Cori and I saw the movie the day proceeding it's coming out on DVD. There were seven other people in the movie theater with us and they were all adult women.....
In the end, I would have to say 'Twilight' wasn't the best book I've ever read, or the best movie I have ever seen, but on the other hand, it certainly wasn't the worse, and again, I can see the appeal of the movie to young women and even to some women my age. I think 'Twilight' is going to be one of those books, or movies, that people talk about for years to come whether it be in a negative or positive way....
What about you?...... Have you read the book or seen movie?......
I would love to hear from you......
With warmest regards, Carol

21 comments:

Channon said...

Great post! I wasn't that into the first book, but liked the series more and more as I went along. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to buy it tonight and watch it tomorrow night.

I like your comparison to other teen "idols" from the past!

Vee said...

Interesting comparisons. As I was just telling Aunt Amelia...I know/knew less than nothing about this book/movie. I think it's great that you have something fun to discuss with your granddaughter/s.

Shellmo said...

I haven't seen or read Twilight yet, but my nephews keep talking about it so much that I've thought about checking it out. Dirty Dancing is one of my all time faves!

zetor said...

I have seen this book mentioned in lots of places. I will have to check it out. Good post re:comparisons of teen idols.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Now I learned something else about you, you like romantic books and movies. You certainly have a colorful and fun personality. This was a great post and very informative.

Smilingsal said...

I've read the book and my review is here.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/12/twilight-by-stephene-meyer.html

I'll skip the move; it's a little young for me. Of course, if I had someone to see it with, I'd go and enjoy the outing.

♥ Kathy said...

I saw the movie with my kids but didn't read the book. My kids did read the book first. The movie was kind of hard for me to follow in some places which makes me believe if I had read the book, I may have enjoyed it more. I hope you're having a nice evening Carol ♥

Lisa said...

The first vampire movie I've ever read - Twilight. A middle aged friend made it sound so interesting so I bit. I loved it. I loved book II also, hated book III, loved book IV. Went to see the movie. Hated, HATED it. I hated Bella. She had no chemistry with (in my opinion) Edward. She was not the gal I had pictured in my mind when i read the book. I grew tired of watching her suck/bite her bottom lip. Just this weekend I saw the same actress in another movie, she was exactly the same character. Maybe I am being too hard on her. She definitely was a misfit how could handle anything. I wanted a moment to see her weak I guess. For a first time writer the books are phenom!!!

Madeline's Album said...

I think I am a little bit old for either the movie or the book. I will stay with the oldies. This was a great post. Madeline

Lisa said...

Based on what you have written, I think that next time I see my older daughter, I will borrow her copy of the book. Thanks for the review.

Deb said...

I'm so glad you became a follower of my blog, looks like we have schnauzers in common..

debbie said...

HELLO CAROL,
I STUMBLED ACROSS YOUR BLOG THROUGH DEB'S LADY BUGS.....I WAS INTERESTED IN YOUR COMMENTS ABOUT THE BOOK TWILIGHT.
I HAVE A SILVER SAMMEY JUST LIKE YOUR SILVER CHARLIE..THEY ARE MARVELOUS DOGS.
BLESSINGS
debbie

Paula said...

Thanks for the good reviews...

Aaydens Mommy said...

I agree that the movie is never as good as the book. Glad you enjoyed it though and got to see your friend!

Judi said...

Carol
This was a very interesting post. I have been reading about everyone reading the book and different opinions mostly that they really enjoyed it. Now the DVD is out. I thought with all the hype perhaps I should read it too...but I've read a couple of comments like yours so maybe I'll hold off reading it and rent the DVD.

hope you are having a great day
Judi

Judi said...

Carol
This was a very interesting post. I have been reading about everyone reading the book and different opinions mostly that they really enjoyed it. Now the DVD is out. I thought with all the hype perhaps I should read it too...but I've read a couple of comments like yours so maybe I'll hold off reading it and rent the DVD.

hope you are having a great day
Judi

sunshine said...

Hi There! I was over at Vee's and saw all this "Twilight" on the sidebar of her blog so I just HAD to come over.
My sister in law and I in anticipation of the movie, decided to read the book. We loved it and ended up reading all 4 in one week. We were absolutly INSANE. It was all we talked about.. non stop. It was some kind of crazy that came over us.
I agree with you. If you haven't read the book the movie is bad. We would have hated it. But even though as you say it wasn't the best movie ever made, it did succeed in bringing the characters to life.
I'm definatly looking forward to the next movie coming out this fall!
Loved your review!
Laura

KarenHarveyCox said...

I heard about this book from a friend who exhibits her photography in a kindred gallery.
Karen

prof en retraite said...

I haven't read it, but I'll give it a look since reading your post! I know I loved the other movies you made reference to. I read several of Anne Rice's vampire books and liked them, mostly for her style of writitng and her settings!! It's hard to go wrong in Paris or New Orleans...even with vampires as characters!!...Debbie

Anne said...

This was such an interesting post even though I did not read the book nor seen the movie. I probably won't read the book either. I know how much you like to read so I'm glad you got to see the movie to. =)

Liz said...

Loved this post. I read all four books, and was a little embarressed at the same time. The movie made me snicker, but then again, I wasnt it's target audience. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails