Monday, April 27, 2009

Blue Monday.....


Welcome to Blue Monday, hosted by my friend Sally, at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ A place where a group of us gals get together weekly to post something blue. Thank you Sally for this fun post! If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Blue Monday web site....




I was recently surfing the web when I can upon the following pictures. Aren't these old homes beautiful! I have always loved the architecture and style. Each house is so unique and different. I especially like the fact that these homes are blue, blue being my favorite color and all. Now and again I wish I was fortunate enough to live in an old house like this. Sometimes I will see an old house and wonder what the people are like that live inside. I have sometimes wondered why some houses are called homes while others are simply called houses.......









Recently I came upon a passage in a book that touched my heart and summed it all up for me. It reinforced what I knew all along. While it's nice to appreciate and enjoy the beauty of a house it really doesn't matter so much where you live as long as your house is a home.....
"What is a home? A roof to keep out the rain. Four walls to keep out the wind. Floors to keep out the cold. Yes, but a home is more than that. It is the laugh of a baby, the song of a mother, the strength of a father. Warmth of living hearts, light from happy eyes, kindness, loyalty, comradeship. Home is first school and first church for young ones, where they learn what is right, what is good and what is kind. Where they go for comfort when they're hurt or sick. where joy is shared and sorrow eased. Where fathers and mothers are respected and loved. Where children are wanted. Where the simplest food is good enough for kings because it is earned. Where money is not so important as loving-kindness. Where even the teakettle sings from happiness. That is a home. God bless it."
-Ernestine Schwmann Heink-
Happy Blue Monday everyone!.......
I hope all of you have a lovely week!.....
With warmest regards, Carol

25 comments:

Shellmo said...

Loved seeing all these blue homes. Reminds me of this old Blue Victorian home I used to walk by when I was a child. You also reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

Where we love is home,
Home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.

~Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Homesick in Heaven

Elizabeth said...

I love the varied architecture!
I am hosting 13 giveaways this week. I hope you'll stop by.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Good morning Carol. Perfect definition of a home, and a good reminder of what really is important. The blue houses seem to be just the right thing to share on a Blue Monday. I like the architecture of some of the old homes. More character to them. Wishing you a memorable Monday.

Knitty said...

I love the coloring of those houses. I did have to look away quickly on two pictures though. There was nasty white stuff on the ground. I am no where near ready to look at snow again! LOL!

Madeline's Album said...

What lovely old Victorian houses. As a child we lived in a Victorian house, my folks rented it, but they made it a home. Have a great blue Monday. Madeline

Aaydens Mommy said...

Those houses are beautiful. I like the style too. I also agree with and like that definition of a home, it is so true. I hope you had a great weekend.

Vee said...

I'm particularly charmed by the blue homes in the snow. That poem is great. Thank you for sharing it with us. It reminds me of the one that my grandmother had framed in her kitchen for years..."Home is where the heart is and friendship is a guest...a book, a fire, a handclasp, a place where souls can rest." (Don't remember the author.)

Deb said...

love the blue homes, love the poem too

Smilingsal said...

I love the blue house with the white snow around it. Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Loved the old homes. I grew up in a very house, it was 100 years old when we moved into it and I loved it. I have often thought the same thing when looking at an old house, what life must have been like when that house was first built. Loved the pictures, thanks for sharing!

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Love your blue homes...so pretty!

Happy Blue Monday.

Barb

ellen b. said...

Beautiful Carol. The blue homes and the verse!! Love it.

Sandi@ My Yellow Door said...

Hi Carol,
What lovely homes! Thank you for sharing & Happy Blue Monday!

Blessings,
Sandi

KayC. said...

I love blue houses...that was the color of my old house. Have a great Blue Monday!

sunshine said...

I love those old Victorian homes too. They have so much character. I'll admit to wanting to live in one from time to time too. :) Wouldn't want to have to heat them though....
((Hugs))
Laura

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I too am a lover of old houses. I always imagine if the house could talk, it would tell amazing stories.
OH, I recognize that last one from Country Living mag.
You know what? My house is blue!LOL!

Have a fantastic day!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Blue Monday ~ Susan

Barb said...

What wonderful homes. If I could live in any type of home I think it would be Victorian. Of course, I think I would be living alone as hubby is not a huge fan. He spent a lot of time as a kid working on one.

That picture of Charli in the dress is adorable.

Happy Monday to you.

hugs,
Barb

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great post, and enjoyed the pictures of the old homes! I bought my first home before I was married, and it was a little blue german sided home, with a full front porch...very old home! I love that old house. We lived in that house with my first child until she was almost 4. Your post brought back such fond memories! ~hugs, Rhonda :)

jeanne said...

I love the blue old homes. My aunt lives in an old Victorian and it is very blue. I posted it a while back.

Hugs...Jeanne

Anonymous said...

What a delightful read! Surely one of the happiest and most insightful pieces for Blue Monday!
I agree...about the old architecture (and the dreaming/imagining of the residents therein... :)
Our little cottage is truly HOME :)

Thanks for visiting me, it was a pleasure!

The Muse

Judi said...

Happy Blue Monday Carol
....where even the teakettle sings in happiness..I love that. Thats a lovely poem. I wonder why some houses are called and houses and others are homes too. The pictures are lovely. Very beautiful homes.
thank you for sharing.
have a lovely day...
Judi

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a most lovely post! I LOVE BLUE and I wish I could join the Monday Blue club!!! I am a full time teacher and it's hard for me to even post on Saturdays but what fun it has been meeting people like you. I loved the write up on houses/homes. How true that is. Thank you so much for visiting and give Charlie a big hug for me!! Anita

Blondie's Journal said...

This is a beautiful post! I love all the blue homes and especially love homes with character. And I tuly believe a house isn't home unless there is love in it.

Happy Blue Monday! :-D

xoxo
Jane

Anne said...

Those homes are beautiful....but I'm happy with the one I have. Just ordinary, nothing fancy. But I agree with that beautiful poem you posted...it's what's inside the house that makes it a lovely home. A home hopefully filled with love to the chimney top!

Related Posts with Thumbnails