Thursday, April 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........

Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A post where book lovers such as myself get together weekly to answer specific questions about reading and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site.......


This weeks questions have been suggested by Barbara and are as follows:
"I saw that National Library week is coming up in April, and that led to some questions. How often do you use your public library and how do you use it? Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library? Did you go to the library as a child? Do you have any particular memories of the library? Do you like the sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?"

I use my public library frequently to attend lectures, small concerts, art and cultural exhibits, and some of the groups that are available like the various book clubs. When I go to the library it's always with a specific agenda in mind. I do not use it to browse for books or to use the Internet. I think the home PC, as well as, the coffee/bookstore has replaced the library as a place to go and browse, or at least it has for me.......
Unfortunately I don't remember ever being taken to the public library as a child. I think it was because we didn't have access to a public library that was close to our home. However, I did go as a class to the school library once a week when I attended Elementary School. I also took a school library class when I was in high school which was very interesting and I have written about here.....
My most particular memories of the library were when I was in college. It seemed like I practically lived in them doing research. In my day and age we didn't have the quick and easy access to the Internet that kids are afforded today......
As far as what kind of library I prefer, I like the old and musty libraries of the past. I enjoy listening to the echos and sounds when people are talking, walking, pulling out chairs, or even dropping a pen. I think the deep textured wood, the high ceilings, the ornate moldings, and the grids on the windows are so incredibly beautiful. I could really enjoy working in a library like that......

As I will not be posting next week due to the holy hours so I just want to take this opportunity to wish all of you a very blessed and joyful Easter!.......
I hope you have a beautiful day!.......
With warmest regards, Carol

10 comments:

Deb said...

Happy Easter to you also!

Smilingsal said...

My post is up.

I looked all over and the Easter butter lamb can only be bought online. I guess we don't have many Polish people in South Florida.

However, I ALWAYS have a special Easter cake that I will be posting about.

Blodeuedd said...

Great post :)
Those old ones are sure nice, too bad the town one moved to a brand new building, but they needed space.

happy early Easter

Dot said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! How exciting that your library is big enough to hold concerts! Happy BTT to you too!

zetor said...

Ours is a small library only books, no concerts unfortunately.

Vee said...

A wonderful and blessed Easter to you, Carol.

I was interested to read what you had to say about libraries. I, too, prefer the older, less sleek varieties. I also like it quiet (and I do mean quiet) and I want a big comfy chair in addition to the large tables where one can spread out books for research. Yes, I enjoyed this post tremendously.

Madeline's Album said...

As a child growing up in a small town I used our library frequently. I very seldom use one now with the internet and I purchase my books at yard sales. I am proud that 2 of my grandsons visit the library quite frequently. Have a good day.

♥ Kathy said...

Well I'll miss you next week. I hope y'all have a wonderful Easter! ♥

Charli and me said...

Thanks for all of your lovely comments here. My library doesn't have large concerts but it does have small ones like chamber music and red garter bands.

Jess said...

My library has great events as well. I have taken computer classes, seen films, and even done pilates in the meeting room. A really great aspect of the library.

Related Posts with Thumbnails