Thursday, May 7, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........

Welcome to Booking Through Thursday, http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A post where book lovers like myself get together weekly to answer specific questions related to literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site........
This week our questions are as follows:
"Suggested by Vega:
Last Saturday (May 2nd) is free Comic Book Day! In celebration of comics and graphic novels, some suggestions:
Do you read graphic novels/comics? Why do/don't you enjoy them?
How would you describe the difference between "graphic novel" and "comic"? Is there a difference at all?
Say you have a friend who's never encountered graphic novels. recommend some titles you consider landmark."
I don't read comic books any more. I don't even know if they have a section in a book store or a drug store that still sells them. In fact I don't know if they are available at all except maybe via the Internet. I don't know why I don't read them. I guess it is perhaps that I'm always drawn to the actual book section and considered them to be more juvenile in nature. Comic books and graphic novels don't seem to be placed any where strategically where an interest could be developed or sparked in them any more. At least not in any of the book stores or drug stores that I frequent.....
I've never read a graphic novel, but I did occasionally read comic books while I was growing up. I don't remember graphic novels being readily assessable. I was never really interested in comic books like Batman, Spiderman, Superman, or the Fantastic Four. However, I did occasionally read and enjoy comic books like Archie, Little Lulu, Woody Woodpecker, and Daffy Duck. I remember going to our local drug store to pick up the latest Archie addition. In the summer when school was out, I used to like to lay on my bed, feel the breeze coming through my window (No air conditioners back then) and sometimes read a comic book.........

The difference between a comic book and a graphic novel is that the graphic novel is usually based on an actual novel and is much thicker than a comic book. I had never heard of a graphic novel until I met my husband. He came from a very large family. He had an uncle who worked for the rail road, and after the rail cars were empty for the day, all of the comic books and graphic novels left on the seats would be collected and thrown away. My hubby's uncle would ask if he could have them. Then he would save them and periodically bring hundreds of them over to my hubby's parents house when he came to visit. My hubby was exposed, at an early age, to the great classics in the form of graphic novels like Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, The Three Musketeers, Huckleberry Fin, Black Beauty, and Treasure Island. He even used them at times to do book reports in school. It was through the graphic novel that my hubby developed his love of literature. I would certainly recommend any of the above mentioned graphic novels to a friend......

Happy booking Through Thursday everyone!.....
I look forward to reading what you have to say....
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

Anne said...

I've never heard of graghic novels. That's neat that your husband used them for book reports. I don't think I've ever was into any comic books, even as a child. I do remember little Lulu though. I had coloring books at my grandmother's house and one of them was little Lulu. Happy booking through Thursday! And have a nice day!

JoAnn said...

I missed out on the illustrated classics growing up, but I remember my brother reading them. I hope to get some recommendations today!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello there! I wish I could join...I am juggling a masters program, a full-time teaching job, playing and maintaining a very beautiful but tempermental harp, and blogging! But I so enjoy your blog and will continue to keep an eye on what you are doing! Give the little furry one a hug! Anita

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I loved comic books. My daughter loved the Archie books. My husband has a huge collection down in our storage room. Enjoy your day!

Madeline's Album said...

Comic books yes I did read some of them I am not sure if I remember the illustrated classics. Have a real good day. Madeline

violetcrush said...

Oh yes, the classics in the graphic form. how could I forget those. I think they could be the best introduction to this form of reading.

Jess said...

I don't read a ton of graphic novels but I loved Epileptic by David B. It was incredible.

Vee said...

Boy, am I out of the loop...way out. I have never heard of graphic novels and if one used that term, I'd stay away thinking that it was risqué or something. ;D Thanks for the explanation.

I fondly remember reading my neighbors' comic books...mostly Archie. My mother highly frowned upon comic books and we weren't allowed to have them.

Dot said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! The one book shop that I go to has a large section of graphic novels so I am going to have a look next time. I don't think they will be able to replace my love of books though!

Smilingsal said...

Once again, you handled a question that baffled me. I don't even know what they're talking about.

We won't be getting any more dogs. Even though they're wonderful, they are a lot of work, and whenever we want to take a trip, it's difficult to find a dog sitter.

Heather said...

I've got some tips on my post about how to venture into the world of graphic novels, if you're interested in doing so. I'm very much a literary fiction person myself, so I had to first get a glimpse into the artistry behind them and then I could appreciate them as a wholly separate type of art, rather than comparing them to novels (which helps me).

You can check out my post here.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

I've two whole sets of illustrated classics...ala the Junior Classic series :0) Back then illustrations were ARTWORK!
I used to read the Archie comic books and turned my kids onto them as well. We love the Archies!

Aaydens Mommy said...

I have never heard of graphic novels either, how neat! I am not into the comics and never really was either. I'd rather pick up a good book.

Julie said...

I never read comics or watch cartoons/animated movies anymore. But I used to read Archie, as well as Little Lulu, Nancy and Sluggo, Wonder Woman, etc., and my brothers' Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, etc.

The graphic novels of today are scary! I think of them as comics for adults

Related Posts with Thumbnails