Thursday, May 28, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........

Welcome to Booking Through Thursday, at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A post where book lovers like myself get together weekly to answer specific questions related to literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site........

This week our questions have been suggested by C in DC and are as follows:
"Is there a book that you wish you could "unread'? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?"
No, there has never been a book that I wish I could have "unread." However, there have been many books that I have read that have been quite unsettling. I like to read literature that helps me gain knowledge and insight into life and life experiences. Books related to history and humanity have always been favorites of mine. These types of books can sometimes be very unsettling but a wise European History professor once told our class that we as individuals are a culmination of our past. In order to fully understand and appreciate who we are as human beings we have to know and understand from where it is we have come. Those words have stuck with me all of these years. How can we possibly exercise our right to vote or affect change in the world with out this type of knowledge?
Happy Booking Through Thursday every one!......
I hope all of you have a lovely day!.....
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

violetcrush said...

Those are some very wise and true words. I have read many books that were unsettling too, but I wouldn't unread them.

Dot said...

Thanks for visiting my blog again. I really enjoyed your post, I couldn't agree more with what you said.

Eileen said...

I agree completely about 'unreading' a book, I have never felt that way, but like you, I have had some not-so-nice feelings about certain books I've read, especially true stories about horrible points in the history of our country, my own Faith, and the world. And also unsettling personal stories (such as Small Sacrifices about Diane Downs and what she did to her children). If I had to list one book to 'unread' I guess that one would be right up near the top of the list.
This was another great post! It really got me thinking.

Madeline's Album said...

Another great post. I too agree with what you said. Have a great day. Madeline

Julie said...

I very much wish I could unread "Farewell Summer" by Ray Bradbury. He took a wonderful character, Douglas Spaulding, from his book "Dandelion Wine" and turned him into a very unlikeable character. I especially hated the very last page. Even if I could unread just that page it would be better for me.

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I don't think there is a book that I would want to "unread." If I'm reading a book and find it's not as interesting as I had hoped, I stop reading it! I love your new background!!! Very patriotic and summery looking!!

Heather said...

Those were wise words... every book is shaping your reading of every future book you'll ever read.

Marie said...

Very true. I agree with you 100%. thanks for that awesome post.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol! I have read a book that I hated, needed to write a paper on it, but I wrote as a critique...that changed my thinking! Hugs to you and Charlie! Anita

Related Posts with Thumbnails