Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's..........


Welcome to Tea and Friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with recipes, photos, tablescapes, teapots, teacups, stories, quotes, poems, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It's a place to celebrate and share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy my post.........

When I was just a little girl my favorite book in the whole world was 'The Wind In The Willows.' My brother, who is seven years older than me, would patiently read it to me night after night. (Patiently because I always asked millions of questions.) I don't remember hearing any book where friendship was more celebrated. Whether it be a picnic on the river bank, lunch at Toad Hall, or a warm fire at Mole's house, friends seemed to always be meeting, helping and caring for one another, and patiently dealing with one another as in the case of Toad......
"There was no more talk of play-acting once the very real and solid contents of the basket had tumbled out on the table. Under the generalship of Rat, everybody was set to do something or to fetch something. In a very few minutes supper was ready, and Mole, as he took the head of the table in a sort of dream, saw a lately barren board set thick with savoury comforts, saw his little friends' faces brighten and beam as they fell to without delay; and then let himself loose-for he was famished indeed-on the provender so magically provided, thinking what a happy homecoming this had turned out, after all. As they ate, they talked of old times, and the field mice gave him the local gossip up to date, and answered as well as they could the hundred questions he had to ask them. The Rat said little or nothing, only taking care that each guest had what he wanted, and plenty of it, and that Mole had no trouble or anxiety about anything."
Oh how I wanted to live there! I used to beg my brother to take us, and no matter how hard he tried to explain, I couldn't seem to get it into my head that it wasn't a real place. Sometimes we would talk about what we would do if we were able to go there to live. We would talk about where we would live, what our little house would be like, and who we would invite to our home which happened to be all of the characters of course. In the end my brother would always help me make a conscious decision not to go even if we could, because we would miss my grandmother, parents, uncles, sister, and friends to much.......
What about you? Do you have a special story you would like to share with us?...

"Come little cottage girl, you seem
To want a cup of tea;
And will you take a little cream?
Now tell the truth to me"

She had a rustic, woodland grin
Her cheek was soft as silk,
And she replied, "Sir please, put in
A little drop of milk."
-Berry Pain-
WORDSWORTH

Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday's every one!.....
I hope you have a beautiful day......
With warmest regards, Carol

15 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What a sweet poem! I will come to tea with you and shall we take a little boat down the river to visit our dear friend Ratty? Sounds enchanting to me! Can Charlie come!? This is one of my favorite stories of all time and yes, friendship is so celebrated here! Toad is a lucky chap to have such patient buds!!!! Give Charlie a hug, Anita

zetor said...

My girls loved 'Wind in the Willows', one year there was a theatre group performing this in a nearby theatre. We took the girls and the performance was wonderful , only a handful of actors , but they were fantastic they involved the audience in the play by running up and down in between the seats. A great time had by adults and children alike.
It's nearly 20 years ago but I still remember it.

Smilingsal said...

I don't remember a specific childhood book. What a nice brother you had to try to explain things to you.

Aaydens Mommy said...

I love that book too! It really does have a lot to do with friendship that is for sure. Happy TFT!

sunshine said...

What a great story! I loved that.
The only thing my brother told me at night was that there were snakes under my bed... so I wouldn't get up. LOL
You were a very lucky girl!
((Hugs))
Laura

Deb said...

my son loved the wind in the willows books when he was small...great memories

The Muse said...

I was simply delighted to read your blog...I envisioned myself being a little child...having someone love me, and read to me...with soft gentle kindness...
Thank you for that dream!

prof en retraite said...

Ohhhh....lovely!! Without a doubt, The Wind in the Willows was my favorite childhood book! I don't know what it is, but I am a sucker for little animals weearing clothes! Did you love Stewart Little, too? Thanks for the happy reminder! Have a great week...Debbie

xinex said...

Oh you have such a very sweet brother....Christine

Madeline's Album said...

What a great and wonderful post. I really do enjoy your blog so very much. Have a great day.

Anne said...

I've never read this story book but you make me want to. Maybe I'll share it with my little son. Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday!

Shellmo said...

I haven't heard of this book but it's definitely one I need to pick up for my neice and read to her. What a sweet and patient brother you had! :-)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I loved "Little House On The Prairie" books, and all the Nancy Drew books. I was thrilled when my mother would take me to the library. Now that I have grandchildren, I find it fascinating that they have definite favorites, and I find myself reading those time and time again, to them. I really missed you and your blog, and I enjoyed catching up on your latest posts.

nikkicrumpet said...

I've never read that book...but I do remember wanting to be one of the "Box Car Children" when I was growing up. I think that's really nice that your brother patiently read to you the same book over and over!

KarenHarveyCox said...

Oh, I love that book too. I just love children's books, even now. Some days I will pick up LIttle Women or The Secret Garden and just read a bit. Somehow I always feel better.
Karen

Related Posts with Thumbnails