Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's..........


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. A fun post filled with recipes, photos, tablescapes, teapots, teacups, stories, quotes, poems, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. This is a place to share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy this post.......

Please do come in. The table is set and you are just in time for tea. I hope all of you had a nice Memorial Day weekend. We certainly did at our house. Do you like my tablescape? As you can see I just love my little bird houses and birdies. I incorporate them into my decorating scheme any way I can. I picked up my salad plates at Home Goods a couple of months ago. I just love them because of the pattern. They have red, white, and blue flowers with two American flags on them. I am so happy and blessed to be living here in the United States. We are afforded so many freedoms and I don't ever want to take them for granted. Let me fill the candy baskets and put on the tea.......

I have something I would like to share with you...
As you know, prior to the American Revolution King George II imposed heavy tax on tea. He said "The women of the colonies will pay any price for their beloved tea." Well the women of the colonies revolted. Yes they did. They got together and signed the following pledge....
"We the daughters of those patriots who have, and do now appear for the public interest, and in that principally regard their prosperity, as such do with pleasure engage with them in denying ourselves the drinking of foreign tea, in hopes to frustrate a plan that tends to deprive a whole community of all that is valuable to life."
At the time the following verses were also circulated:
'A Lady's Adieu to Her Tea-table'
"FAREWELL the tea-board with your gaudy attire,
Ye cups and ye saucers that I did admire;
To my cream pot and tongs I now bid adieu
That pleasure's all fled that I once found in you.
Farewell pretty chest that so lately did shine,
With hyson and congo and best double fine;
Many a sweet moment by you I have sat,
Hearing girls and old maids to tattle and chat;
And the spruce coxcomb laugh at nothing at all,
Only some silly work that might happen to fall.
No more shall my teapot so generous be
In filling the cups with this pernicious tea,
For I'll fill it with water and drink out the same,
Before I'll lose LIBERTY that dearest name,
Because I am taught (and believe it is fact)
That our ruin is aimed at in the late act,
Of imposing a duty on all foreign Teas,
Which detestable stuff we can quit when we please.
LIBERTY'S The Goddess that I do adore,
And I'll maintain her right until my last hour,
Before she shall part I will die in the cause,
For I'll never be govern'd by tyranny's laws."
-The Great Tea Rooms Of America-

Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!.....
I hope you have a beautiful day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

25 comments:

Eileen said...

Such a beautiful post! Very informative! And so pretty and inviting!
You've set your table with two of my most favorites ~ Americana decor and roses! And what a lucky find those plates were, they are perfection!

Smilingsal said...

What a sweet hostess you are. Have a good day.

Blessings each day said...

All that's lacking are directions to your home! Well...maybe, I might need to use your jet to get there in a timely manner, too.

So lovely, so inviting...you could make great "I wish I was there" postcards!

blessings,

marcy

Aaydens Mommy said...

very interesting post. I love your table and plates.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Happy Tea and Friendship Tuesday. Such a lovely post and I love your music too. Have a beautiful day.

Karen

Madeline's Album said...

Another great and informative post.
The table looks so feastive. Thank you for your visit and comment on my blog. Have a blessed Tea and Friendship Tuesday. Madeline

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Such a pretty and welcoming table and good info too. I say you're the best hostess !

Just a little something from Judy said...

Your music, your tablescape and your history lesson created a special visit to your blog for me today. Hostessing just seems to come so naturally for you. I am amazed at the many different tablescapes you come up with. When I finished the story I was reminded again of how thankful I am for the women who lived before us, and their stance on their freedoms. Happy Tuesday dear friend!

Judi said...

Look at Charli...love what he's wearing. He is a true American puppy.

That was very interesting about the tea. I didn't know that before.

Your dishes and tablescape are lovely.
have a lovely day!
Judi

Barb said...

Your table looks so inviting. Very informative post. I enjoyed it very much.

hugs to you and Charli,
Barb

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! I love this! You're the best!
be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

prof en retraite said...

Hi Carol! I love your tablescape! So patriotic! And speaking of that...Charli is a cutie in her red, white and blue!! Have a great week...Debbie

The Muse said...

I dare say that Charli herself
would have agreed with those tea patriot ladies!

We women are a strong lot, are we not!?

Happiest of days, my friend!

Michael said...

Hope you had a great Memorial Day Weekend Carol (and, of course, Charli)!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Lovely, Carol! Loved this! I've had trouble accessing your blog. I'm so glad I didn't miss this!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Shellmo said...

Your tablescape is so inviting and lovely!! I would love to pull up a chair and see what goodies you are going to serve!

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Just like women to stand together to be heard in numbers. Good for them.

I love your background. Gorgeous.

I would love to visit.. maybe bring some lemon bars for your table top. How festive.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol! Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Having trouble leaving long posts! Anita

zetor said...

Thankyou for your good wishes Carol.

Blessings each day said...

Just letting you know that your Wednesday post didn't post as I tried to click on it seveeral times...but I'll bet it was good (as your posts always are)!

blessings,

marcy

Vee said...

Wonderful! I had never read that before and it is great. I wish that more people were fired up in that manner today!

Terry said...

Hi
That was awesome .Thank you !
God bless you.
Have a wonderful week.

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

Your table looks wonderful. perfect for Memorial Day. The little red house as a centerpiece is just adorable! :-)

Hhhhhmmmmm must be really frustrating and saddening for these women to implement such law. I never really have tried such variety of tea out there. but i do so enjoy and love to imagine having a wonderful tea time complete with all those wonderful tablescapes. :-)

Mizpah
Li

Neabear said...

Wonderful! Love the tablescape.

Related Posts with Thumbnails