Thursday, June 18, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........

Welcome to Booking Through Thursday, at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A post where book lovers such as myself get together to have discussions related to literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site........


This week our discussion is as follows:
"One of my favorite sci-fic authors (Sharon Lee) has declared June 23rd Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers Day.
As she puts it:
So! In my Official Capacity as a writer of science fiction and fantasy, I here by proclaim June 23 Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Day! A day of celebration and wonder! A day for all of us readers of science fiction and fantasy to reach out and say thank you to our favorite writers. A day, perhaps, to blog about our favorite sf/f writers. A day to reflect upon how written science fiction and fantasy changed your life.
So.... what might you do on the 23rd to celebrate? Do you ever read fantasy/sci-fi? Why? Why not?"

I do read science fiction and fantasy books from time, to time, although they usually are not my first choice. I will hear about a certain book on the blogs, in my book club, or perhaps it's a book that has either been loaned, given, or suggested by a friend or family member. Some books that come to mind that I have read are:
The Time Machine
Brave New World
The Invisible Man
The Lord Of The Rings
Harry Potter and the Soccer's Stone
The Road
Twilight
The Vampire Chronicles
The Ruins
Most of these books are entertaining although I found 'The Road' to be down right depressing. For some reason I love books about vampires and especially if they are vampires with ethics and morals. 'The Ruins' was just to scary for me. I still get a little freaked out when I think of it and I definitely would not ever consider seeing the movie........
When I do read science fiction and fantasy I usually enjoy it as long as it is in small doses. I do like the unusual story lines. However, after reading the first Harry Potter book, that was enough for me. The science fiction and fantasy book has to be somewhat believable in my mind. I don't think I would like a book like 'Star Trek' but who knows.....
I think I will celebrate on the 23rd by going out and looking for a good science fiction and fantasy book to read and perhaps next year when I'm a little more prepared do some sort of a post on my blog...
Happy Booking Through Thursday everyone!.......
With warmest regards, Carol

10 comments:

Blessings each day said...

I enjoy non scary science fiction...used to love watching Star Trek. You are probably much braver than me.

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Jess said...

I will have to try the Ruins. I completely understand about The Road -- so depressing.

Eileen said...

I tried posting earlier, but something is wacky with my computer lately!

I sometimes watch science fiction movies or TV shows (well, actually my husband is watching them, and I'll sometimes get sucked into it), but I don't have an avid interest in it, and I can't ever remember reading a science fiction book except for one that I had to read in High School 'Farenheit 451', which I did enjoy even though it made me somewhat queasy.

It amazes me the imagination that science fiction writers have, I find it astounding because my mind just doesn't work that way at all.

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

oh no! The Road was next on my reading list. I don't like depressing books! I hope it isn't too bad. :(

JoAnn said...

I couldn't even finish The Road - too bleak and depressing, but maybe I'll try it again some other time.

Shellmo said...

I did love Lord of The Rings - lately I've been reading more dog books! wink, wink!!

Eileen said...

Carol, I have something for you on my blog!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello dear Carol! It is so hard to leave a message...Anita

violetcrush said...

The Ruins is on my wishlit, and The Road on my TBR pile :)

carolsnotebook said...

Good list. I really should pick up The Time Machine.

Related Posts with Thumbnails