Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A day in Ann Arbor.......

Recently my hubby and I spent an afternoon hanging out with my brother and sister-in-law in Ann Arbor. It's something we love to do. What a great day we had! As some of you know I am very interested in architecture and Ann Arbor has some of the most amazing old buildings I have ever seen. I could spend hours in Ann Arbor and never get tired of looking at the old and many times historical buildings. I love the way the University of Michigan blends the old with the new sometimes attaching new buildings to the old ones. The first two pictures are of buildings on the campus. Don't you just loved the curved arches on the first building? The second building is just beautiful with all of the ivy climbing up the walls. The flag on the top of the second building is, of course, a University of Michigan flag. If you click on the pictures you will be able to get a much better view........
Just across the street from these two buildings is the University of Michigan School of Law. This building is just spectacular! It was supposedly modeled after a church. It is very pristine with it's stained glass windows, lovely arches, and old stately doors. The beauty of this building is absolutely breath taking....


I've always had a secret desire to go to law school (family law) and I could easily imagine myself sitting here on a Sunday afternoon, surrounded by musty and aged books, taking in the loveliness of this gorgeous old building....


Just look at the ornate ceiling in the student study hall! I just love the high ceilings, the stained glass, the arched windows, and the charming chandeliers. Wouldn't it be simply divine to study here? I don't think I would ever want to leave.....





In the halls outside of the classrooms are row upon row of interesting posters that signify the particular societies the students belong to. Societies like: The Federalist Society, Real Estate Law Society, and The Jewish Law Student Association.....


Situated at the heart of the university, lateral to and across the street from the law school, is the University of Michigan Museum of Art. It has recently under went extensive renovations and just reopened for students, faculty, and the public alike. The museum is totally free of charge although they do accept donations. Here you can explore modern and contemporary art, Chinese, Korean, Buddhist, African, Asian, Japanese and my favorite European and American Art. It is an absolutely marvelous place to spend an afternoon. As we walked through the doors of the museum we found that one of the very first rooms was entirely devoted to religious art of which I am particularly interested in and fond of. We were very fortunate indeed to have our very own personal tour guide as my brother is a docent at the museum. He was able to share little stories and give us insight about the artists and they're work that made the day especially interesting and fun......

If all of that was not enough my dear sister-in-law treated us to a dinner of ocean sea scallops with dill sauce, pan fried potatoes with onion, baby peas, and hunks of crusted bread. As we sipped our wine we listened to a Brahms Clarinet Quintet and String Quartet. The entire day was wonderful. It was like Christmas in June as far as I was concerned. Thanks again Paul and Rox ♥ .....

Charli didn't come with us this time and our neighbor said she howled as though she were dying the entire time we were gone. Next time she will come with us, but sorry Charli, when we tour the University of Michigan Medical School DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED!.....
If you have a university in your area I hope you will take advantage of all of the wonderful experiences they offer. As I've said before, I think you will be pleasantly surprised....
With warmest regards, Carol





17 comments:

Anne said...

Oh Mom what a beautiful post full of awesome insights. Thank you so much for the tour. I feel like I was right there. I hope Charli wasn't to mad when you all got home. Have a lovely evening.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

The ivy on the building is amazing... it just keeps going up up up.

OH poor charlie!! Bugzy does not approve. He has a thing for CHarli and he says, "nst tym chawi ken sta wit us rite momo".... awww

Vee said...

Very nice tour...I do love those ivy covered stone buildings. How interesting that you've always wanted to be a lawyer...it's never too late! :D

Poor Charli! I bet she will be mighty happy to see you!

Eileen said...

Thanks for sharing this tour.
The ivy covered walls are my favorite! Although the ceiling was breathtaking too.
You sound like you had a really nice day! And your dinner has left my mouth watering!
Too bad Charli couldn't come along, poor baby. She missed her peeps!

Blessings each day said...

This may sound crazy but I actually love to study, so you were right up my alley with this great tour.

Poor wittle Charli girl...our Jake was a great howler...our son used to howl along with him or encourage him to get going, schnauzers are so good at that!

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Just a little something from Judy said...

Thank you for the beautiful, historic tour. My dad's family was in construction for many generations, and he taught me to have an appreciation of architecture and construction. I especially enjoy old historic buidings. I found this post for interesting. I feel like you in that I would have loved to study in surroundings of such beauty. I smiled when you shared Charli's reaction to being left behind. I also smiled while I listened to your music. Brought back many fond memories. Lovely post!

Michael said...

Thanks for the little tour! Wonderful pictures and architecture!

Happy @ Home said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your tour. My husband graduated from U of M several years ago :-) I went to a few football games with him when we were first married, but I never toured the campus. I have a sister living in Ann Arbor so maybe next time I go to Michigan I'll have to make a point of walking the campus.

Poor Charli.

Smilingsal said...

Your brother and sister-in-law are kind and generous people to show you such an excellent time. Your photos and descriptions are quite interesting. I like arches too!

How I wish that Charli were not so dependent on your attention. Try leaving the TV on for her. That sometimes helps.

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

oh my goodness I love these pics! I have got to go there one of these days. It definitely would be an awesome place to study. I don't think I'd ever want to leave either! What a great post. :)

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, thanks for the wonderful tour. My husband and I love old buildings. The pictures were just out of this world. Have a great day.

Channon said...

Oh, that tugs on my heartstrings a bit. Way back when, I made the choice to stay on the Eastern Seaboard for college, but THAT college was in the final three... Beautiful!

sunshine said...

Awww Charli! What a funny dog. :)
Those are some beautiful pictures. I love to look at old buildings too. I love the high ceilings in the one building.
That dinner sounds divine!!! I love scallops.
I'm so glad that you had such a lovely day.
((Hugs))
Laura

Shellmo said...

What a fun trip to Ann Arbor! And my favorite store is there - Zingerman's Deli!!! Sorry Charli was not able to go - I hope she didn't pout for too long! Tell her we'll send her some treats from Scout! :0

Neabear said...

I have never been to Ann Arbor, but I have a first cousin who lives there and just recently graduated from the University Of Michigan School of Law. I think he also passed is bar exam already too.

inspirações da Jô said...

Ann Arbor is same a city charming! Each place is exactly very beautiful! These medieval constructions are exactly pretty! Everything in this place is same wonderful! Its photos had been excellent! I loved!

Big kiss!

Jerelene said...

Thank you so much for visiting me! Your page is just lovely!! You baby Charli is just adorable!! I love doggy babies too! The pictures of the buildings were beautiful. The one reminded me some of Notre Dame which I was lucky enough to play in..gorgeous. I love old buildings too. When I was in Great Britain I was able to stay in an old castle. It had 2 courtyards in the middle of it!! It was gorgeous..It's nice to meet you too!! Jerelene

Related Posts with Thumbnails