Friday, June 5, 2009

Hopeful Friday.....

Welcome to Hopeful Friday, hosted by my friend Cielo, at http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/ This post is dedicated to positive thoughts and inspirational messages. It is a post to celebrate God! Thank you Cielo for hosting this beautiful post! If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Hopeful Friday web site.....




"Just as you did it to one of the least of those who are members of my family,
you did it to me."
-Matthew 25:40-


I found a story in a little book of mine called 'Meditations To Renew A Woman's Spirit' that I wanted to share with all of you.....
Many of the townsfolk were amused by her child-likeness; others mocked and taunted her. She rode through town on a rickety old bicycle, talking wildly to herself as she went about her daily routine of collecting cans and cigarette butts. Nearly every day, she would sit on a bench in the center of town, blowing bubbles for hours. That's why everyone called her "The Bubble Lady."......
She was grist for the gossip mill and strangely accepted as a town mascot. When I tried to find someone who could tell me her name or something about her, no one could. I decided to make it my mission to learn more about her. What I learned was no laughing matter.....
Lola (not her real name) had spent most of her life on the streets. She was indeed a simple soul, who was mentally impaired and probably also an alcoholic. The bruises and scars on her body told the story of a life of dangerous entanglements on the fringes of society. Still, she had the heart of a child. She lived in a closet-size room crammed full of belongings collected from the curb. The grimy walls were lined with sketches in pencil and crayon that she had drawn by hand. Their skillfulness belied her childlike demeanor. Her most cherished possessions was a sketch she had drawn of her childhood home. It was the only thing she had left of the "good old days."......
Simple as she was, Lola taught me a lot. She taught me about the strength of vulnerability and the terrible effect that devaluation has on the lives of people who are poor and discarded. She challenged my hidden assumption that people "bring it all on themselves," and she showed me what it is like to live in a world where no one knows your name. I learned to never ever judge others, because we simply have no idea what their lives are really like. Above all, she taught me how to reach out to someone who is different from me. When I did, I found someone who was truly worth knowing and loving. Thanks, Lola.......

Lord, watch over your most vulnerable ones, and give us the courage to reach out to them in love.....
-Refresh Me Lord-
Meditations to Renew A Woman's Spirit
Anne Costa

Happy Hopeful Friday everyone......
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day!
I will be by a little later to visit with all of you....
Thank you for all of the lovely comments you have left on my posts ♥ They mean so much to me ♥
Peace me with all of you!.....
With warmest regards, Carol

15 comments:

Eileen said...

You are so right, Carol, we never know what burdens others are carrying around in their lives, we don't know what brought them to the dire straits they may be living in.
And even those that look like they 'have it all' may in reality be quietly carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders.

sunshine said...

Great story and a great reminder. If someone is rude to me or unkind in general I try to remember that perhaps they are going through some tough times.. or have gone through.
Thanks again for the reminder.
(((Hugs)))
Laura

Paula said...

Thanks for sharing that story. It is so true...Have a happy day. And I like the looks of the blog right now

A Stitch In Thyme said...

The mentality of people who think the down and out folks bring it on themselves or could do better for themselves to me, are the most selfish. Some people simply don't have the means or the capacity to get through school or a high demand job.

I for one would love to go back to school for criminology studies. However, my short term memory lapses make it impossible to do schooling at this time.

Many with a heavy handed history also have to fight things such as abuse, PTSD, demons that live within them.

Your story touches me deeply because it is very easy to turn one's nose upward than it is to extand a hand outward. Most, they just want to know you care.

Blessings each day said...

It was wonderful that you befriended her, Carol. I'm sure that was something she so needed.

Didn't she have any relatives or agencies that could help her?

We really do need to stop judging from the 'outside', don't we?

blessings always,

marcy

Madeline's Album said...

A very touching story. We all need to take it to heart. Don't judge me unless you walk in my shoes is a saying that always stays in my mind. Have a great and blessed day Carol, and thank you for another great post. Madeline

MARIA said...

Thank you Carol,
very touching story.
It reminded me about - before you judge me - walk a mile in my shoes.

God bless you!

Shellmo said...

Touching story - my heart goes out to Lola! We really do need to extend a helping hand in need and reserve our judgment. Great post.

Smilingsal said...

We really have no idea what others may be suffering.

The Muse said...

In blogland we feel so close, sometimes I wonder how much we really can know about one another, with this vastness between us all. And yet, when Heaven wraps us with His blanket of love...we are given a chance to peer inside, to touch a life in need.

A wonderful reminder! Thank you so much, Ms Carol.


Re: To your comment on the Prose: "Carol, I am pleased you had a small, albeit brief respite and I hope that this weekend will bring you peace."

Charli and me said...

The story about Lola came from a little book of mine called 'Meditations To Renew A Woman's Spirit' I didn't write the story. I sited the reference at near the end of my post. I'm glad all of you liked it. I thought it was inspirational. Thanks to all of you for the lovely comments on my post.

Michael said...

What an inspirational post, and a thoughtful prayer. And the quote from Matthew is the perfect setup. Wonderful, Carol.

Shelia said...

Evening, Dear Carol! Oh, you do have the most uplifting posts! I thank you for this. I do believe it's easier to be kind than to be ugly to people, don't you?
Hug little Charli for Chloe Dawn and me! I'm sure she has on her Sunday dress today! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Kelly said...

Hello Aunt Carol,

I hope you, Uncle Mike and Charlie are well. I wanted to share my very very new blog site with you- http://kellyshawphotography.blogspot.com/

Take Hope to see you soon. Call my Mom to find out when we are coming over. Maybe you and Uncle Mike could come and see us.

Love to all,

Kelly from England

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, you always warm my heart. I do believe that you are one of the sweetest bloggers out there. I hope you know that we all love you!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails