Wednesday, June 3, 2009

'The Sixties: A Decade that Defined a Generation'....

'The Sixties: A decade that Defined a Generation'......

Recently I had the wonderful and exciting opportunity of attending an exhibit on the sixties with my hubby, brother, and sister-in-law. The exhibit was presented by the Albert L. Lorenzo Culture Center http://www.lorenzoculturalcenter.com/ , which is located on the campus of Macomb Community College, in Clinton Twp. Each year the Cultural Center presents a fabulous and informative exhibit that includes a series of topic related lectures as well as concerts that are hosted by the Macomb Center for the Preforming Arts. The concerts are not free of charge but most everything else is. The Cultural Center really does a tremendous job of creating an educational experience through the exhibits, performances, presentations, and hands-on activities for those willing to take advantage of these amazing opportunities........
Unfortunately my camera wasn't working properly so I did get some of these images off of the Internet....

When we walked into the exhibit we were immediately transformed back into the sixties. We were able to experience the art, the social activism, the music and the artists that shaped so much of the thinking at the time, and the tragedies involved with Vietnam War.......

We were exposed to the politics of the time, the civil rights and women's movement, the Cuban Missile Crisis, the space race, and the leaders that helped to navigate us through the many domestic and international issues.......




















Oh, there is my hubby up ahead. "Hey, wait for me honey!"
We learned about and revisited life in the sixties. We saw the kinds of cars people drove, the fashions, and the toys that were popular in America at the time. Everything was extremely interesting and very well presented......
A complete section was devoted to John F. Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy, and the esteemed Martin Luther King.......

Some of the lectures the Cultural Center offered were:
'The Decade that Shaped Detroit's Destiny''Motown and Beyond'
'The Detroit Music Scene of the Sixties'
'A POW in North Vietnam'
'The Space Race'
'Bringing the Boy's Home, The Anti-Vietnam War Movement'
'Art and fashion, 1960's to the Present'
'Gloria Steinem, The Longest Revolution'
'Ted Sorensen, A Life at the Edge of History with JFK'
Some of the concerts offered by the Macomb Center for the Performing Arts were:
"Blue Suede Shoes-The Ultimate Elvis Bash'
'Mitch Rider'
'Bobby Vinton Live in Concert'
'Richie Havens, with special quest Harry manx'

Next year the Cultural Center is doing 'And Still They Prospered: Living Through The Great Depression.' I will be taking advantage of that series as well........
If you are interested in history, sociology, and the humanities call your local college and Universities to see what is available in your area. You might be presently surprised. We had a terrific time!.....After the exhibit we went to an Irish Pub and had the most delicious hamburgers and seasoned fries........
I hope all of you are having a lovely day!
With warmest regards, Carol

22 comments:

Madeline's Album said...

What a wonderful post. I can relate to everything you wrote about. It was a wild and crazy time. Thank you for your visit to my blog. I am going to enjoy my pool and get my swimming exercise in everyday. I know the grandkids are going to enjoy it also. Have a great day.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I remember the 60's well! Two of my children were born during the 60's.

Wonderful post!

Eileen said...

Boy! Did that bring back memories for me!
When I was living through it I didn't realize what an exciting time it really was! And really what an impression was left on me. I remember the anti war sentiments and how it created a rift in the family, as some family members were very vocal and protesting and some family members were serving in Viet Nam at the time.
And of course the Kennedy assassinations, and the civil rights movement, and Martin Luther King Jr. being assassinated too. The excitement of men on the moon, the music and crazy styles of the time, the drugs, WOODSTOCK! My family was vacationing near there at the time and suddenly the shelves of the stores were empty, there was no bread, milk, or eggs left for any of the 'regulars' and we all were wondering what was going on, the traffic was horrendous, then we saw it on the news!
Thanks for the memories. This was a great post!!

Anne said...

Wow this was a very informative post. It looks like you all really enjoyed yourselves. The hamburger and the season fries sound good to!

Deb said...

the 60's were a differant time..I was born in 62...great post

Ruthie said...

Interesting post. What a time the 60's were.
Smiles.

Sandy said...

Oh to be able to go back for just one day...

Blessings each day said...

Thanks for sharing all of your interesting trip...know your pictures would have been even better, but cameras can be temperamental.

blessings,

marcy

Just a little something from Judy said...

That I would consider an interesting exhibit to visit, since I have many memories from that time. They were some of my most informative years, and I know I would have been surprised at how much would come back to me. Thanks for sharing it. I would like to see the Depression Era exhibit also.

sunshine said...

I was born at the end of 69 so I didn't live through the 60's. However I do feel a connection to them. I would have loved to have seen this display.
Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I found it so interesting!!
Great post!
((Hugs))
Laura

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Nothing beats taking a trip back in time and remembering all that period of time had to offer. Thanks for the memories!

Judi said...

Hi Carol
Wow I've never seen a place with so much of a good thing like that...60s...that is a great era to relive. It looks like you had such a good time and your luch at the pub sounded sooo yum too.
thank you for sharing...I wish we had something like that around here.
have a lovely evening
Judi

Shellmo said...

I love stepping back in time and this sounds like an interesting visit back to the 60's!

Charli and me said...

Thanks so much everyone for leaving such lovely comments on my post ♥

KarenHarveyCox said...

The 60's were amazing. I graduated High School in 1967. Yikes flowered bell bottoms, Woodstock and the flower children. You must have loved that exhibit.

The clothes that are popular now and some of the hairstyles remind me of the 60's. The Sassoon is back!

Great post.

Karen

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I adore the banner. I have company coming this weekend and I want to make a center piece using flags any ideas???...hugs...m..

Neabear said...

I remember various things from the 60's too. I was in 1st grade when JFK was killed. I turned 4 in 1960 and that is the first birthday I remember so the 60's were my time of growing up.

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

The 60's is not my decade nor am I a "historical" kind of gal. But whenever I am fortunate to visit such places where it is so rich with history, my heart is overwhelmed. I don't know why and I can't explain it. it is kinda amazing.

Li

Rosezilla said...

These exhibits seem really interesting! (A homeschoolers' dream!) I spent my first decade in the 60s but the 70s were my glory years, lol!

Aaydens Mommy said...

Wow, that sounds like so much fun! very informative too. I'd like to get out one of these days and do something like that as well. I love the new background too by the way!

HolyInheritance said...

Thank you for this terrific post!!!
The Sixties was my favorite decade!
I grew up in suburban Detroit and remember it well. I especially loved the music, and still do! I've just started a blog about Sixties music and hope you will visit, I called it "The Delicious Decade of Music"
http://adeliciousdecade.blogspot.com/
I hope the Sixties event you visited is traveling around the country, I'd love to see it!

Smilingsal said...

I'm reading a book now about a lady who collect disco items. She would love that place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails