Thursday, July 2, 2009

Booking Through Thursday.......


Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ A weekly post where book lovers such as myself get together to have informal discussions about literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site....

This week our questions are as follows:
"Suggested by Callista 83,
Do you read celebrity memoirs? Which ones have you read or do you want to read? Which nonexistent celebrity memoirs would you like to read?"

In general my answer is no. I do not read celebrity memoirs. I feel I am inundated enough with them in the news and the occasional times I might pick up one of those smut magazines like 'The National Enquirer' or flip through some other magazine or newspaper. I do read books written by other people about famous people like Mark Twain, Longfellow, Abraham Lincoln, Eleanor Roosevelt, Gandhi, and Mother Theresa to name a few......

One memoir that comes to mind that I did read and thoroughly enjoyed was 'Personal History' It was not only the personal history of Katharine Graham, which the name implies, but it was also about the history of The Washington Post. It was an excellent book that was very well written and won the Pulitzer Prize. I would highly recommend that book to anyone who is at all interested in history......

Happy Booking Through Thursday everyone!......

I hope all of you have a lovely day and a wonderful Fourth of July!

With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Blessings each day said...

Love coming here to get good ideas for reading good books from a good person!

blessings and hugs,


marcy

Eileen said...

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to look into that one.
I'm hoping once my grandson starts school full day in the Fall to catch up on my reading!

I know I've read a few celebrity memoirs but the only one right now that comes to mind was the one about Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart, it was very interesting, and she went into a little detail about Spencer Tracey and Katherine Hepburn.

Nice post!

Just a little something from Judy said...

My daughter would really like reading this book. She thoroughly enjoys history and likes Katherine Graham. I will check to see if she has read it or not. I do appreciate your recommendations because I trust your judgement. Happy July 4th to you, Charli and your family.

Vee said...

Interesting! Yes, I have sometimes read celebrity memoirs. Patti Duke's comes to mind...

Wendy said...

Hi Carol I just wanted to stop by and wish you and Charli a wonderful 4th of July weekend!!:0)~Wendy

Smilingsal said...

i read Barbara Bush's book, but as a rule, celebrity reading is not my cup of tea either.

Madeline's Album said...

I do not recall reading and celebrity memoirs. Have a great day and a wonderful 4th of July weekend. Madeline

Shellmo said...

I'm like you - I'm more into historical stories and memoirs.

JoAnn said...

I agree totally...and Katharine Graham's book was excellent!

Lisa said...

I like your answer. I feel much the same way. I'd rather read a memoir about historical figures than celebrities. These days, it doesn't take much to be considered a 'celebrity' and quite honestly, I don't have the desire to know more about them. I have read a few, but don't make it a habit.

Thanks for visiting my blog today, Carol! Have a wonderful 4th of July!

Dot said...

Another book to add to my list! Happy BTT!

Neabear said...

One I can remember reading was called "Just Me". I think that was the title. Anyway, it was by Christopher Reeve after his horse accident.

Related Posts with Thumbnails