Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Festival of Lights Parade and Party.....

The Festival of Lights Parade and Party......

Last weekend our family was invited over to our son Kurt's for the Festival of Lights Parade and a Party. It was so much fun that I thought I would share a little bit about it here with all of you....

Every year, for the past twenty three years, Boat Town U.S.A. has hosted a Festival of Lights Parade but this year was a little different. They decided to change the parade route. Instead of the usual route they decided to have the boats come down the river. As some of you already know our son Kurt lives on the river. He, along with many of the other people who live along the river, decided to host house parties to celebrate the Festival of Lights. I mean there were parties every where!....

Our son has always had an interest in cooking and he made the most amazing baby lamb chops on the grill. He marinated them in olive oil, teriyaki sauce, with salt, pepper, onion, basil and garlic. They were so delicious and tender. Everyone just raved about them. Rhonda and Kurt also served chicken, a variety of cheeses, chips, olives, and lunch type meats. The food was just perfect as well as the company.......

The boats, as well as any houses along the parade route that choose to enter the Parade of Lights contest are judged on creative themes, costumes, lights, and music......

The boats met at the mouth of the river and the coast guard led the parade. The picture above is of the coast guard as it makes it's way down the river with strobe lights flashing, sirens and bells ringing, and fog horns blowing. The people along the river bank also had fog horns that they blew and bells that they rang in response to the boats. Everyone was cheering the boats on. Every house had fire pits glowing and torch lights burning. Some of the people even lit off fireworks. I have never seen anything like it. It was better than the Fourth of July! My camera was acting up again so I didn't get very good pictures but if you click on them I think you will be able to see the boats a little bit better.......


Here come the boats now....
Some of the boats had blow up decorations like you sometimes see around town at Christmas time. All of them had lots of lights. Each boat was playing a different type of music via loud speakers and everyone was dancing....














This boat was my personal favorite......
































Do you see the palm tree on this boat?









As I said we before we had a great time and the weather was perfect.....

Charli had a good time too. She enjoyed playing with Sofie, getting extra treats, and just loved all of the attention from the guests as long as they didn't get to close. She only snuck out on the docks once. She knows she is not supposed to do that but she wanted to bark at a muskrat who happened to be swimming by. The fireworks did scare her a little but over all things went very well.....
I just love summer time.... There is so much to see and do.....
I hope you enjoyed hearing about the party and seeing some of the boats....
With warmest regards, Carol

18 comments:

Anne said...

By the looks of it, you must of had a spectacular time! How cool is that! =)

Baba's Special Babies said...

Hi Carol,what a great parade of boats all decorated like Christmas with so many lights..I would love to have been there for the celebration..thanks for sharing this with us.
Hugs, Baba

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Nice pics. Sadie-mae was not a fan of the fireworks or motorcyles or horns... well you know, she is just kinda skiddish!! Bugzy, well he doesn't stop long enough to know there was even a noise. He is always go go go.

Mahmood said...

Your blog is very nice. The images are very beautiful. God is Great. Best wishes.

http://www.thedynamicnature.com

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol! What a funnnnnnnnn event! It reminds me of being on the Seine river in Paris, taking the evening boat rides. So calming. Charli must have felt like a royal highness on that boat! A good time had by all, I'm sure! Anita

Eileen said...

This was nice! You described everything in detail and I felt like I was there! And I want some of that delicious food! It really sounded great!
Your pictures too were nice, I've never been to anything like that, it really sounds fun, must have been a beautiful sight!
What a nice family time you had! I love reading things like this.
Thanks for sharing!
All the best,
Eileen

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

I never heard of Light Parade party - and in boats! What an exciting night you have. To see all those lights streamed on the boat with the night sky as the backdrop - beautiful!

Mizpah,
Li

(I have to add these - the bird nest and birdcage on the previous post is really something! A very interesting addition to your kitchen.)

SmilingSally said...

There is an annual Festival of Lights in South Florida that happens around December, and it's BIG just like this one. We went one year to a party held in a home on the water. I saw a boat with a palm tree, and I can't help but wonder if it's the same one you saw!

Madeline's Album said...

I would have liked to have been there. From your pictures I know it really must have been something. Your sons food sounded so good. Did see the palm tree. I know Charli had a great time also. Have a great day Carol.

Blessings each day said...

How wonderful to go to such inspiring celebrations. thank you for shring so many picturs with us. I will go back to re-enjoy them too.

How cute that Charli got brave enough to go bark at something...the muskrat was probably as big as her, wasn't it?

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Sounds like a fun time! And the menu sounds delicious as well! Glad you and Charlie had fun and took the pictures for us to enjoy!

Knitty said...

I know the area you are talking about, but I've never seen the parade. I should make it a point to do that soon. Is there a public spot (park, restaurant, etc) where viewing is possible?

Duchess of Tea said...

Carol darling the light parade sounds like it was a ton of fun; I wish I was there to have a taste of your son’s grilled lamb chops which are my absolute favorite. Dalring I am glad you approved of my T & F T posting. Need to run off to visit a friend, will talk to you soon

Huge Hugs
Duchess xx

Vee said...

Sounds like great fun and it must've been so pretty! Yes, I saw the palm tree!

Knitty said...

I just came from getting my haircut and my stylist was talking about this parade too! She gave me some suggestions of bars and restaurants that I could try for a viewing spot next year. :)

Rosezilla said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I think they do something similar here once in a while. But not with the houses joining in, that's a nice twist!

Queenmothermamaw said...

Cumberland Lake in southern Kentucky
has Christmas in July. Our daughter has a houseboat and we put up a tree and lights on the boats and they stay up all weekend.
QMM

Neabear said...

What a fun time! I would have enjoyed exploring my camera to get great shots of the boats. It is hard to get good pictures at night like that. There was a river parade in our area one year. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was the Christmas parade done on the river instead of the streets. Don't know if it was ever repeated. With all the renovation going on in the downtown area near the river, something like that could happen again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails