Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Little yellow Cabin By The Lake.......


A Little yellow Cabin By The Lake.......

Recently we had the opportunity of visiting Amy, Tom, and Tommy up at their little yellow cabin by the lake. We had such a wonderful time that I thought I would share some it here with all of you.........

When my children were growing up, my dad, and sometimes his brother, used to take them, as well as, our nephews up north in the summer's to camp in a rural area along the AuSable river at a place they called 'The Horse Shoe'. At 'The Horse Shoe' Paul, Doug, Jon, Michael, Thomas, and Kurt learned how to camp, fish, swim, hunt, and drive a boat among many other things. My dad would tie a rope over a sturdy tree branch and then tie the end of it to an inner tube. The boys would then take turns swinging out over the AuSable, jump in, and swim to shore. My father was like a great big kid himself in some ways and he gave the boys many, many fun and unique experiences there. Although they got to 'The Horse Shoe' in my dad's camper by way of the road, when they were in need of supplies, they would take the boat down the AuSable river to a place called 'Rollaways'. The store is no longer in existence, and you are no longer able to get to 'The Horse Shoe' by car, or truck, but the boys still occasionally go there in the summers and all of our grandchildren have been to 'The Horse Shoe' several times. It was a magical place that all of the boys loved and they continue to share story after story of the incredible times spent there. Our son Kurt started going to 'The Horse Shoe' when he was barely three years old at my father's insistence and Michael was still going the year my dad passed away when Michael was eighteen years old.......

It really came as no surprise to us when we learned Tom and Amy had purchased a cabin in that area of Michigan in such close proximity to 'The Horse Shoe'.........

Tom and Amy's cabin is just beautiful! It's so warm and cozy. The whole inside of the cabin is done in Knotty Pine which is one of my favorite types of wood. The kitchen as well as the rest of the cabin has been newly up dated and remodeled. They live in a little community right off the lake where all of the houses are in different sizes, shapes, and colors that give it such a charming appeal. The locals choose to use golf carts instead of cars to get to the community center, the lake, and the local store. It is such a quaint and beautiful place that my hubby, Charli, and I immediately fell in love with it. It is very peaceful and quiet, or at least it was until Charli arrived on the scene.......

The lake is so pretty, clean, and clear. It also has a nice sandy bottom and beautiful beach area......












It is really difficult to describe how beautiful Northern Michigan really is. The woods are full of hiking paths and trails. It's so quiet and peaceful there. As you walk along in the woods and step on a branch there is a sort of echo that resonates through the area. You can't help but think about what the Indians and first settlers must have thought walking through these pristine woods for the very first time. Here and there you will see a squirrel, or chip monk scattering about, or maybe even a deer. Then there is a break in the silence as we begin to approach some wet lands and hear the bull frogs calling. It is an odd sort of clapping sound that can heard in the distance............






While we were there Tom and
Amy took us to Largo Springs which is a short distance from
their cabin. Largo Springs is considered a holy place which was frequented by the American Indians at one time. The beauty of this place is absolutely breath taking. The Indians came here to pray and I can certainly see why with it's natural springs and gorgeous views over looking Cooke Pond and the Au Sable river. The Indians also believed the water in Cookes Pond held magical powers. There were approximately three hundred steps that led down the mountain to get to the springs. I thought Charli might have difficulty managing them but she just loved it. We put her on an extended leash and she ran up and down, and all around, even as we stopped in several of the designated areas to rest along the way........

Every year my dad would take the boys to see a bear that was held in captivity in the area. The original bear is no longer
there but a new one has taken it's place. All of us were
saddened by this experience as we believe the bear belongs
in his natural habitat and not caged where he is not allowed to be free. Charli was quite vocal as she was not allowed out of the car. There she sat literally howling away at the indignation of it all.......
I hope all of you enjoyed hearing about our trip and seeing some of the beautiful scenery in northern Michigan.....
Thank you Tom and Amy for your wonderful hospitality! We love you both very much, Tommy, and Butters too ♥
As always, I am wishing all of you a bright and sunny day!....
With warmest regards,

13 comments:

Eileen said...

The cabin looks beautiful! And the surrounding area even more astounding! And what wonderful memories you and your children have too!

It reminds me of the yellow bungalow my in-laws had out on Long Island, the property they owned was park-like with surrounding woods, it was so pretty. My husband said it was a wonderful place to summer every year, and then as we had kids we were out there every weekend. It wasn't on a lake but it was a quick trip to the beach from the bungalow and that was always fun too.

I can't get over how Charli accompanies you everywhere, I think that is so cute!
Sounds like you had a great time, and who couldn't with those surroundings?
And I'm surprised the 'animal rights activists' don't get up in arms about a caged bear!

Thanks so much for posting those beautiful pictures, and thanks for sharing your memories and for bringing to mind so many of my own beautiful memories.

Madeline's Album said...

What a wonderful post, Carol. I really enjoyed your pictures and discription of this very special place. Michigan is a beautiful state. Have a good evening.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Your blog looks so beautiful! This post interests me because I would love to visit Michigan. I love hearing stories of past vacations and memories and I love the mountains and the lakes. As I read this I just have to tell you, how it seems you and your family have fun no matter where you are, and that sure is refreshing. You must be a joy to have as a guest, and it sounds like they were the perfect host and hostess for the weekend.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, what a wonderful spot! Loved seeing this and hearing all about your time at the lake past and present.

As to Pippy in my post, I'm not sure where he came from or who he belongs to... I called him Pippy because he looked like he had on long stockings. ;-) I hope I will see him again and that he will come over and visit me when I'm there.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Shelia said...

HI Carol, What a beautiful place! That little Charli lives a charmed life, doesn't she?
Pop over, I'm having a giveaway!
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Vee said...

That Charli has a strong sense of justice...

What a beautiful spot with a long history for you and your family. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it once again through the hospitality of your friends.

Shelia said...

Hi Carol! I've added your name in my giveaway!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Tammy518 said...

What beautiful pictures! That looks like a wonderful place to visit.

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

I think it is a such a lovely spot. YOu are so close to nature. Everything is just fresh air. It's nice to be away from the city and create your very own haven.

Those stairs seems to just go a long, long way. 300 steps? :-) Reminds me of a waterfalls back where we used to live. You have to go down many steps to be able to see the falls in its full view!

What an overwhelming experience this is for you. :-)

Li

Shellmo said...

That cabin looks adorable! Loved the photos - there is nothing like spending time in Northern Michigan - especially in the summer! Sounds like Charli was a good girl! :-)

Neabear said...

Wow! What wonderul experiences your family has had. Wonderful memories too. Thank you so much for sharing them. I know how that is when we have to leave a dog in the car. Poor Charlie. I am sure she survived though. I forgot to mention that I love your new blog dress. So summery.

Rosezilla said...

What a beautiful post! We used to camp a lot when I was young and it was a peaceful, fun experience for sure.

Oh, by the way, thank you for your kindness regarding my post, but it was from a journal entry and actually happened 20 years ago! Things are fine now, going pretty good actually. I was just trying to show how no matter how bad things seem, they will get better and God will see you through them to the other side.

Anne said...

What a beautiful place to visit. You all must of had such a wonderful time. The pictures you took were just marvelous. I to can see why Tom would want a cabin in that location. Their yellow cabin looks so cute there in the woods with their American flag hanging. They must just love it up there. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails