Thursday, August 6, 2009

Booking Through Thursday.......



Welcome to Booking Through Thursday, at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ This is a weekly post where book lovers like myself get together to have informal discussions about literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site.......

This week our question is as follows......
"What's the most serious book you've read recently?"




Unfortunately I missed last week so I would like to add my answer here. The question last week was "What was the most funniest book you have ever read?"
I think some of the funniest books I've ever read were the Janet Evanovich series about Stephanie Plum, a self proclaimed bonds women. This series was not something I would normally have read at all but they were given to me by a friend at a time when I was pretty much over whelmed with stress and seriousness. I definitely needed a good laugh, or two to get me back on track, and these books were just what I needed at the time. I read the entire series over a weekend. These books are full of smut and obscenities. They are definitely not something for the faint of hearted. The pages are filled with zany, crazy, weird, and unusual characters, or perhaps they are not that unusual at all, and it's just that I have led such a sheltered life. In any case I think it was the absurdity of it all that struck me as being so funny, but now to the question at hand.......

I would have to say that the most serious book I've recently read was 'Night' by Elie Wiesel. I found it to be profoundly upsetting. It's one of those books that leaves a haunting impression on you for some time to come. For that very reason I definitely think it should be required reading for any history or humanities class at university level. 'Night' is is the authors own account of his survival in the Nazi death camps at Auschwitz and later Buchenwald. Riped out of his home when he was just a teenager Elie Wiesel shares his memories of the daily horrors endured in the camps. It address a subject very rarely alluded to. One that is extremely shocking and of great ethical importance as we learn to what extent some family members will go to in their own personal fight for survival and freedom. It is candid and powerful. It's the story of the loss of innocence. 'Night' "addresses many of the deep rooted personal as well as philosophical questions as to what the holocaust was and what it will mean to future generations. It is a book filled with utter despair.
I hope all of you have a beautiful day.....
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Julie said...

I have to agree with you that "Night" is the most serious book that I've ever read, and that it is a must read for students. The funniest book? Well, I read James Thurber's "Carnival" years ago and it has really stuck with me.

Violet said...

I just bought my first Janet Evanovich book. Hope it's good.

Night is one book that's been on my wishlist for I don't remember how long.

Eileen said...

Thanks for posting about both your funniest and most serious books. I'd be interested in both.

Once my grandson starts full days of school in September I am hoping to get back to reading!
I have read bits and pieces of Elie Wiesel's life and amazing survival story in magazine articles and in human interest stories on TV but I have yet to read the book.
Thanks, Carol.
All the best,
Eileen

LV said...

Thanks for dropping by my Blue Monday post. Enjoyed your comments and I love your little pup. I was a big book reader, till I got involved in the blog field. I am not too swift at all this, so I have not read as much.

jlshall said...

I tried reading "Night" many years ago, but just couldn't stick with it. Yes, "profoundly upsetting" would be a good description of my reaction, too - and I suppose that was the whole point. But I read primarily for entertainment, and try to stay away from anything too traumatic. Although, someday I'll probably give Elie Wiesel another try.

Blessings each day said...

I have read many books on the Holocaust, all of them so sad, but they should be mandatory reading as you said, Carol, just so that others can not only be aware of what happened in its entirety, but also to PREVENT it from ever even starting again, although present day Darfur is a sorry situation for sure.

I did try a Janet Evanovich book but found it too full of profanity and sex, so I stick to the 'G' rated mystery books for the most part.

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Just a little something from Judy said...

It is always interesting to me to learn what books people enjoy reading. You seem to be a well rounded person in that you read books in all categories. I used to read more than I do now with three baby grandchildren. The books I read on the Holocaust were definitely some of the saddest books that I've ever read. I agree with you that it should be read by university students, so that no one ever forgets what happened at that time in history. Thanks for sharing your take on these books.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

I have not read this book but have many others on the topic. I also watch schindler's List at least once a year. That whole period of time affects me very deeply. I am not jewish or german but this is a profound period of time that MUST never be forgotten. It needs to be required in school's in my opinion.

This is a wonderful post today. Blessings to you. Tammy

Susan B. Evans said...

Looks like your picked two seriously good books :) Here's my response.

Sue said...

I'll have to add 'Night' to my list. I just finished a disturbing novel about the same period called 'The Last Innocent Hour'. I had to find something light to red after that to pick up my spirits.

JG said...

Whenever I was reading an Erma Bombeck book, suddenly I would burst into laughter. They tickled my funny bone.

Marie said...

I don't htink you can get much more serious than Wiesel. Whoa.

Related Posts with Thumbnails