Thursday, August 13, 2009

Booking Through Thursday........


Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/ This is a weekly post where book lovers like my self get together to to have informal discussions about books and literature. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site.....

This week our question is as follows....
"What's the worst book you've read recently?"

Humm...... I found this to be a very difficult question..... I would have to say I haven't read any books lately that I have totally disliked. Of course, with any book, there will always be some things I like, and some things I don't like, if I were to pick the book apart and thoroughly analyze it, but on the whole I have never found a book I completely disliked. There is always something to be learned. Always some little interesting tidbit to be picked up. It could be that I choose my books carefully and I am drawn to books where I am truly interested in the subject matter like historical fiction. I also belong to a book club where the books we read are very carefully chosen for there literary value. In addition, I have gotten some great recommendations right here in blog land. I also value my friends opinions and usually if they recommend a book I know there will be something about it I will like. I have always been of the believe that if you give a book a try, even if you don't like it in the beginning, challenge yourself to finish it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you will learn, how much you like about it in the end, and how much you will grow as an individual.......
Happy Booking Through Thursday everyone!
I hope all of you have a beautiful and sunny day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

18 comments:

busy91 said...

A very good way to look at it. Most of the time I do try to make it to the end. Happy BTT.

Eileen said...

Yes, I believe you are right.
But I have read a few books that I wish I hadn't started reading, but I did finish them. They were true stories and they were very dark and sad and heartbreaking.
One that sticks out is 'Small Sacrifices' about Diane Downs shooting her own children (killing one and crippling another), two children survived, and the prosecutor ended up adopting them! It was an amazing story, but so very disturbing.
I guess if I had put the book down I wouldn't have known about the adoption!
Interesting post, Carol!
All the best,
Eileen

Susan B. Evans said...

I can't bring myself to give up on ANY book, no matter how bad it is.

I chose The Reader by Bernhard Schlink as my most recent BAD read. You can check out my thoughts here.

jlshall said...

That's a very positive attitude! And in general I agree. But there have been a few books I just couldn't stick with to the end.

Jerelene said...

I have to say that Angela's Ashes tore me up...I think the author passed away recently..it was the saddest book I've ever, ever read. I remember reading some of the excerpts to my husband and he said "How are you reading this?" I really don't know how I finished it..
Love, jerelene

SmilingSally said...

I have almost quit BTT because of these hard/impossible/silly questions. How I wish they'd get back on track. You do an excellent job of trying to handle it, though.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I just finished a book and for the first time in my life, I was sorry I wasted time to read it. Stopped by to wish you a wonderful day.

Duchess xx

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol! I had to read a book once for a French lit. class that I hated, but I used that to my advantage; I wrote a report on it not as a critique but rather as an observation on how the author actually used the tone, language and scenarios for effect, to pull in the reader to his world that without the emotions evoked, would have been impossible to understand! Reading is AWESOME! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

The last book I started to read and have yet to finish is Whitehorn Woods by Maeve Binchy. To me it is not interesting at all.

zetor said...

My choice was a biography of Mary, Queen of Scots, written in an academic way.

Just a little something from Judy said...

That is certainly a positive outlook regarding books you've read. It seems to me that you look at life like that also. Always something good to be gotten out of it.

inspirações da Jô said...

Loved Carol,

Well in the truth, I did not read no bad book in these last times! I have had luck!

By at least I am not frustrate with the money that I spent, therefore books are very expensive!
Big Kisses and hugs!!!!!!! Have a wonderful weekend !!!!!!!

Julie said...

I recently read "Gilead" by Marilynne Robinson. After about 80 pages I found it utterly boring and stopped reading it. I did not pick it up again for a week (and in my summer reading marathon this summer, that says a lot). But I decided to finish it and am glad I did. The boring part comes from the fact that there really is no plot. It's just a bunch of memories of an old man (pastor) about to die. But one does learn a lot about life and love and faith (though it is not a so-called "Christian" book.

Having said that, I have in these later years allowed myself to not finish a book if I don't like it. There are too many others out there.

Jorgelina said...

Have a wonderful weekend !!!!!!!

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling I hope you had a lovely weekend. I just stopped by to wish you a sunny day!!

♥ hugs ♥

Duchess

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

My dearest Carol and Charli,
I am so happy that you came by for a little matinée showing of Goodnight Sweet Prince! I knew Charli would be smitten by the charms of this old French boy!!! How are you dear one? I am praising God today because yesterday, my husband and I escaped being killed in a car accident. I praise Him for the care of his angels. I hope you will come by to get a gander of M. Balzac's exploits in act 2....just for a chuckle. Lovingly, Anita

Sue said...

It seems lately I've read a number of books that Left me wondering why they'd been written. There was no plot and they just didn't seem to go anywhere. I finished them, but they were instantly forgettable.

Charli and me said...

Dear anita,
I'm so glad to hear you are all right and didn't have an accident. Those near misses can be very frightening. God was watching out :>)

Related Posts with Thumbnails