Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's..........


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, personal stories, poems, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It is a place to share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so that my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, I hope you enjoy your visit here. Thank you so much for stopping by........

"Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure."
-Jewish saying-

When I was growing up I was blessed to have the most wonderful aunts in the whole world. Each of them was very special and unique in her own way. Each of them left a lasting impression on me and I loved them all very much. There was Aunt Wanda, Aunt Margaret, Aunt Marie, Aunt Bessy, Aunt Libby, Aunt Jenny, Aunt Rose bud Elizabeth, Aunt Helen, and two cousins we called Aunts out of respect because they were so much older than us, Aunt Jackie, and Aunt Jane......

When I think of my Aunt Helen I recall this wonderfully loving and classy lady. She used to like to serve tea and when we went to her home we were always treated to the whole works no matter what time of night or day we happened to stop by. She always seemed to have pretty tablecloths, place mats, cloth napkins, and fresh flowers on hand. She loved teapots, fancy dishes, and best of all those delicate little sugar cubes and glass dishes filled with yummy candies. To sit at her table was a real treat. She made all of us in the family feel so special! I don't know how she did it but she always had some type of delicate, decadent cake, delicious brownie, or scrumptious cookie to serve to us on a beautiful china plate......

One day, when my husband and I stopped over to visit my Aunt Helen and my dear Uncle Jim, she served us the most delicious lemon custard cake. I asked her about it and she said it was something she had just thrown together......

Aunt Helen's Lemon Pudding Cake
One box of Betty Crocker Cake Mix
One box of Instant lemon Jello
One box of Instant Lemon Pudding Mix

Make the lemon cake according to directions and cool. Dissolve lemon jello in one cup
boiling water and one half cup cold water. Poke holes in cake and drizzle jello over
the top. Refrigerate one hour. Make the instant pudding
using whole milk according to directions. Let sit. Spread
over the top of the cake and refrigerate at least two
hours. When ever I make this cake I always think of my
Aunt Helen ♥


Recently I was flipping through a 'Simply Southern cooking and entertaining' book when I came across the directions to make sugared flowers that can be used to decorate tea tables and dessert plates. I thought it was such a sweet idea! All you have to do is go out to your flower garden and cut some flowers. The article indicated that it was best to choose a thin petaled flower. Then lightly beat an egg white. Apply the egg white to the flowers and pedals using a small paint brush. Sprinkle sugar on top and shake off any excess. Let dry.

I decided to try to make my own sugared flowers and I must admit they turned out rather well. I bet these little sugar flowers would look just lovely on an evening table that was decorated with tea lights. The light of the candle would flicker off the sparkling sugar and look similar to snow or glitter.






I was especially touched and honored to learn I had received this lovely award from my new friend Her Grace, The Duchess of Tea, at http://roseteacottage.blogspot.com/ Thank you so much Your Grace!

The Duchess apparently generously bestows this award on her many followers. This is what she says about it, "Her Grace, The Duchess of Tea, has appointed the following blogs and their charming writers as honorary Nobles of the most excellent Order of the Blog Empire. The insignia is in recognition and appreciation of the bloggers role as followers and daily commentators of Rose Tea Cottage and for having vision, knowledge, charm, and humor on their own blogs."

I am truly touched and very grateful to receive such a beautiful award. The award is not to be passed on or I would surely pass it right back to the Duchess. I hope all of you will stop by and visit with Her Grace. She has the most lovely blog filled with pretty things for all of us to enjoy like flowers, tablescapes, tea tables, dishes, and recipes. She is a very beautiful and special lady, our Duchess of Tea.

Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!

I hope all of you are blessed with a lovely day ♥

My warmest regards, Carol

20 comments:

Eileen said...

Congratulations on your award!

And thanks for such a beautiful post! I enjoyed reading about how you treasured your Aunts, and I especially liked your story of Aunt Helen and thanks for posting her recipe! My husband especially would love that cake!

Also, thanks for the sugared flowers! That looks beautiful!

I really enjoyed this post a lot! Thank you!

Madeline's Album said...

What a beautiful award congratulations. Your Aunts cake recipe sounds so good and looks delicious. I want to thank you for all your visits to my blog and all the nice comments. We have had our pool since 1980. Believe me it as really seen alot of use, not only by me but also by my kids and grandkids. Have a great day.

Kelly said...

http://www.moments-in-time-photography.co.uk/blog/

prof en retraite said...

Hi Carol! What sweet memories you have of your aunts! Thanks for the recipe...sounds yummy! I will have to try the sugared flowers. That's a pretty touch to a tablescape. Congrats on your award!...Debbie

Mary said...

Congratulations on your award, Carol! That is truly an honor. Oh, how I would love to meet the Duchess, and all you tea lovers in blogland! And I am so touched at your fond memories of your aunts, and how you honor them by sharing their recipes. I've really enjoyed your very "sweet" post today!

Neabear said...

That cake sounds yummy alright! I love lemony things!! Wonderful memories you have of your aunts.

♥ Kathy said...

awww Congratulations for your award Carol! And what lovely memories you have of your Aunts...family is so precious ♥

Blessings each day said...

One of the fascinating facts about lemons is that they become alkaline in our bodies and we really need that as most things we eat are acidic, so thank you for shring that recipe, carol!

Loved hearing about your treasured aunts...everyone should have aunts like that!

Do you know how long the sugared flowers will last?

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Anne said...

Thank you for the lemon pudding cake recipe. I would like to try it.
I just love the idea of your sugared roses.
Congrats on your award.
Happy Tea & Friendship Tuesday!

♥ Kathy said...

I posted with you Carol ♥ My Tea and friendship post is HERE

inspirações da Jô said...

Dear Carol,
Whenever I come here, I have pleasant and delicious surprises! This cake of lemon is exactly delicious in this tray pretty with all these chinaware . And a flower of Sugar is interesting and is in the gorgeous decoration! I loved the tea today dear friend! Congratulations for the award!
Kisses and one week illuminated!

Tammy518 said...

That cake sounds wonderful. I'll have to give it a try. Congrats on your award!

Walking on Sunshine... said...

Congrats on your award!! The cake seems really easy and yummy!! Love the sugared flowers!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hello dearest Carol! Thank you for visiting my early Pink Saturday post! Your aunties sounded like such lovely people...their spirit and kindness live on in you! Bisous, Anita

Just a little something from Judy said...

Another award for you and your beautiful, charming, informative and uplifting blog...Congratulations! This award seems so appropriate for your blog. The sugared flowers are a special idea and I look forward to trying them. Thank you for the idea, and for the instructions on how to make that delicious sounding lemon cake. I know that will be a hit with my family this summer. A lovely Tuesday Tea post my friend.

Rechelle ~Walnuthaven Cottage~ said...

Just popping in to say "hi". I'm out and about reconnecting and having so much fun as I re-enter blogville after so many weeks of puter issues. I' hope all is well with you and Charli.
Enjoy your day!

Shelley said...

Your Aunt Helen sounds wonderful! How fun and charming to eat nice little desserts off charming plates. It would make anyone feel very welcome!

Blessings each day said...

There is another award/Meme for you at my blog today!

hugs and blessings,

marcy

Michael said...

Your Aunt sounds like a wonderful woman. And it really made me think back to when things were a lot ... simpler. *sigh*
P.S. Congrats on your award!

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

How sweet to share something of your Aunt :-)And then to share a recipe you so loved. Thanks carol!

I too believe in the quote about true friendship and them being a treasure. Very much so.

I think I also saw an episode on hgtv about sugar coating/dusting. but that was a long, long time ago. I think they used fruits instead of flower and it did look nice with its "crystal-like" effect :-)

Mizpah,
Li

Related Posts with Thumbnails