Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's..........


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, poems, personal stories, quotes, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It is a place to share anything you would like with a friend. If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so that my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy your time here........

"I keep my friends as misers do their treasures, because, of all the things granted us by wisdom, none is greater or better than friendship."
-Pietro Aretino-

One of the things I did while I was away from my blog was go out to lunch and see 'Julie & Julia' with my dear friend Cori. We make it a point to meet once a month to go out to lunch, shop, see movies, and discuss books. We always have a wonderful time together ♥ If you would like to see a great movie that's fun and entertaining I would suggest you call up a girl friend and go see this movie. It's definitely a chick flick that will leave you smiling and feeling good all over. Cori and I both loved 'Julie & Julia! Meryl Streep was outstanding and as far as I'm concerned she was Julia Child. The movie was about cooking of course but it was also about the wonderful and loving relationship Julia Child had with her husband...... Sigh..... I liked it so much that I will see it again some time in the future......
One of my favorite things to do when I am alone here is to get my house sparkling clean, put on some music, lately I have been listening to my play list here on my blog, and bake something special for my family or friends. I don't do it very often but when I do I make it a real production. On those days you will usually find Charli and me dancing around the kitchen listening to the oldies while something delicious is baking in the oven. Since I was in charge of making cupcakes and potato salad for the air show that's exactly what we did......

Seeing 'Julie & Julia' inspired me to get out my pearls. As many of you know Julia Child always wore pearls when she cooked. I very rarely if ever wear my pearls any more and the movie made me wonder why. I wish we could go back to that time period and dress the way women did back then.
Charli, on the other hand, wears her pearls a lot. Aren't they pretty? She received them as a gift from Anne when she was just a tiny little scruff of a puppy. Charli, of course, doesn't help me bake, or cook, but she will lay on the kitchen floor right beside me in the hopes of catching a little piece of food or a crumb if one should happen to fall her way......

Doesn't Charli look just darling in her beautiful pink pearls?.........
In addition to the potato salad, I decided to make Paula Deens red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for the air show. The recipe is as follows.....
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup butter milk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cream cheese frosting.....
1 pound cream cheese, softened
2 sticks butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
chopped pecans and fresh strawberries or raspberries for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cupcake tins with cupcake papers.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. In a large bowl gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth and thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake tins about 2/3 filled. Bake in oven for 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once, half way through. Test the cupcakes with a tooth pick to see if they are done.. Remove from oven and cool.
For the frosting......
In large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add sugar, and on low speed, beat until incorporated. Increase speed to high and mix until very light and fluffy.

Here are some pictures of the finished cupcakes. They were a real hit at the party! Everyone seemed to love them. Although you are unable to see here, I used silver cupcake liners because of the color of planes. I also used American flags to decorate the cupcakes instead of the fruit garnish suggested. I picked up some toy planes at the party store to decorate the tables with and give to the little ones at the party. I will post more on the air show later this week.

Happy 'Tea and friendship Tuesday' everyone!....
I have decided to wear my pearls more often. What about you?
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

Barb~Bella Vista said...

Dear Rooster Party Participant,

Just a reminder that the Rooster Party is this Friday, August 28th. I am so glad you joined and I'm really looking forward to seeing your Roosters.

Hope you have a wonderful time!

Barb

Knitty said...

I can't wait to see this movie. I am glad to hear you liked it. Sometimes the promos for the movie lead to disappointment, but I've felt from the start that this one wouldn't disappoint.

Charli always looks darling. :)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I heard many comments like yours regarding this movie. I really do look forward to seeing it.

You did a great job on your red velvet cupcakes. If I had to pick out one cake to be my favorite, it would be red velvet. The flags look so good on the cupcakes.

As for pearls, I never tire of wearing them or seeing them worn. When I went to the Blood Bank the other day, a lovely lady greeted me, with a dark suit, white pearsl and white pearl earrings. I was taken back by her wearing pearls at a Blood Bank, but I can't tell you how beautiful she looked. Almost as good as Charli does.

Blessings each day said...

Just love it when you include little Charli in a post and I didn't know that she had those lovely pink pearls...she makes the pearls look even prettier!!

A friend gave me a recipe for red velvet cake but one that has a (real) butter frosting that is out of this world...I'd eat it just for the frosting alone!

I, too, am looking forward to seeing that movie as I keep on hearing good reports in blog land on it!

blessings and hugs,

marcy

Eileen said...

I enlarged Charli's picture and I love it! She looks adorable, I'll have to show Jayden when he comes in from swimming.
And I love how you put her pearls next to yours in the picture above! So sweet.

Thanks for posting about the movie, I would like to see it, and thanks for posting the cupcake recipe, it sounds wonderful, I'll have to give it a try!

Great post, Carol.
All the best,
Eileen

thomas jones said...

This was a very interesting movie that kept me interested from the very beginning..

Madeline's Album said...

Charli looks so cute in her pink pearls. The cupcakes look delicious. Your movie review was excellant. Thank you for your visits to my blog. Your friendship means alot to me. Have a great Tea and Friendship Tuesday. Madeline

Queenmothermamaw said...

Can't wait to see that movie. The cupcakes sure look good. I too like red velvet cake. Pearls are my favorite. Oh course I come from a generations that prided ourselves on the classic pearl necklace and earrings.
QMM

A Stitch In Thyme said...

You do know that charli just steals the post don't you? SO DARN CUTE! Your cupcakes look too good. I'm trying to curb my sweets just a bit so i'll only have one thank you. :)
hugs
Tammy

Tammy518 said...

I can't wait to see that movie myself! And Lucy is jealous! If Charli has pearls, she wants some too!

SmilingSally said...

I reviewed that movie too and loved it as much as you did.

Neabear said...

I can just see you and Charlie dancing in the kitchen! LOL! What fun you two have. I also heard many good things about this movie from other bloggers. But I will have to wait until it is out on DVD so I can watch it captioned. I will miss too much of the conversation watching it in the theater with no captions. That is not fun for me. There are theaters that show movies captioned, but I don't if they show the newest ones captioned or not. But it is not convienent to get to. I don't want to make that long drive to a theater that shows captions. So I will just wait patiently for the DVD to available.

Related Posts with Thumbnails