Monday, September 28, 2009

Blue Monday.......... And a trip to Yates.......


Welcome to Blue Monday, a post hosted by my friend Sally, at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ This is a weekly post where some of us blogger's get together to share something blue. Thank you Sally for hosting this fun post! If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Blue Monday web site........


Autumn just wouldn't be Autumn in this area without at least one trip to Yates Cider Mill. In my case I come here a lot. It has beautiful walking trails, a pretty river, and wooden benches to sit on scattered here and there. The best part about coming to Yates though is that it's very dog friendly. Charli and I just love to come here to walk the trails, or sit by the river and watch the ducks. When my hubby and I were dating, way back when, we would come here on weekends in the fall, then when we had our children and grandchildren we would bring them here, and when I was in college I would even bring my books here to study because it's so quiet and peaceful during the week. I have written about Yates in the past when I did my Cider Mill and Orchard series last year so I won't go into any further detail here........



Here is a little blue for Blue Monday.....









And how about this! It seems like everyone is rooting for the University of Michigan football team these days. We are 4-0 now. If you enlarge the picture you will see that all of the pumpkins have "Let's go blue" written on them............

However, the reason for my trip to Yates this past weekend was to take our grandson Ryan to see a program put on by the First Michigan Colonial Fife and Drum Corps. It was a great program indeed! We learned about the history of drum and fife and how the music was used to send messages to our soldier's. We saw how muskets were loaded and shot. We also learned the history of some of the songs of that era like 'Yankee Doodle Dandy.' We saw some fancy drumming, where the drummers would click each others sticks, and we learned about the uniforms of that time. It was all quite interesting and entertaining. At the end of this post I have included a small video so you can hear a little bit of the music yourself and see the corps as they came marching through the area. Just remember to click off the music at the end of the blog before clicking the video.......



Of course a trip out to Yates would not be complete without cider and donuts. How about a walk down to the river to see the ducks? I hope you enjoy coming along with us.......


















video
Happy Blue Monday everyone!........
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Carol, you are having so much fun with Ryan, and I'm benefiting from all of your trips! I remember a year ago, when your husband was so sick; thank the Lord he's improved. I'm wishing you a delightful Blue Monday.

Elizabeth said...

What a fun day, Carol!
I hope you'll stop by my Blue Monday; I'm having a giveaway.

Eileen said...

This is a great post! I loved visiting here with you! It's so pretty, and your really are surrounded by so many interesting places to see and visit. The trails look especially nice and peaceful!
And I loved all your pictures, thanks for sharing this!
I love these kind of posts, it's almost like being there.

I go on 'virtual vacations' all the time, and seriously, it really does help to refresh and renew my attitude!
Thanks again!
Happy Monday!
All the best,
Eileen

Mary said...

I always love the fall festivities at local farms and orchards. I loved your photos and hope you are having a wonderful day.

claudie said...

Hello Charlie and Carol
How are you?
Michigan is spectacular this time of year...our leaves are having a hard tome changing... it's just not cold enough, can you believe I'm saying that being from Canada? lol
Happy Blue Monday
Love Claudie
xo

Madeline's Album said...

With all the things you have going on in Michigan I am just going to have to make trip there someday. Enjoyed this post very much. Have a great day. Madeline

Shelley said...

Scout is now nipping at my heels and begging me to take her to Yates! It looks like such a lovely place - what great memories you have built there!

bj said...

Hi, Carol..how wonderful this all is. This year has been better for you and your hubby...I am thankful..
hugs, bj

Queenmothermamaw said...

That was an interesting post and great pictures. I love drumming and marching. Isn't it fun have grands to go with you to things. Mine are getting to old to go with me now, they are in school all of the time and/or playing some sport or another. I love to go watch, but some live too far away to go much.
QMM

Anne said...

Oh Mom I just loved your post. I to love to go to Yates. I didn't know you and Dad would go there when you were dating and studied for school when you were in college. What great memories you have there. It must be a real special for you to go and visit that cider mill. I just loved your pictures. And you video was so cool! I just loved it as the band was marching up. Your blog looks really nice to. I love how you have it all decorated it up for fall and Halloween. Have a great night! Love, Anne

Just a little something from Judy said...

I love how you never run out of interesting and fun things to share on Blue Monday. Today is no exception. I like drumming and marching and the music. The peacefulness and the beauty goes perfectly with the cider and donuts. I hope you had an enjoyable Blue Monday.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW Carol...you have a haven like I do...that river is simply tranquil and beautiful! Cider donuts...we have them too and hard cider!!!! I love this time of year. Have a marvelous week with your loved ones! HEY CHARLI! Anita

Knitty said...

We haven't made it to a cider mill yet this year but your post sure makes me want to go.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a fun trip to the cider mill and getting to hear the fife and drum corps. Know you all had a great time there. :-)

Just checking in and still computerless... this is a borrowed laptop for the evening.

Love to you, Carol...

XO,

Sheila :-

Related Posts with Thumbnails