Monday, September 21, 2009

Blue Monday..... And a U of M game........


Welcome to Blue Monday, hosted by my friend Sally, at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/ This is a weekly post where some of us blogger's get together to share some thing blue. Thank you Sally for hosting this fun post. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Blue Monday web site.........



For as long as I can remember U of M football has been a tradition in our family. I think it has something to do with the fact that my father grew up right in the heart of Ann Arbor. I used to love to watch these football games with my father, my brother, and then my hubby, children, nieces, and nephews. Even when we have not been unable to get together for a game there have always phone calls back and forth as our team makes a fantastic play or scores. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we have all sang 'Hail To The Victors' or screamed 'Let's Go Blue!'
Last year one of the things my hubby and I missed most was getting together for our football or tail gate parties as we like to call them. This year has been especially enjoyable for all of us. Our banner up above will hang in our TV room all football season. Lot's of blue there!









Of course Charli just loves these games. You can always find her dressed in her blue on Michigan football days. She especially had a good time Saturday because Peeper came over to watch the game with her. Those little girls sure know how to mooch a lot of treats off of everyone.
Up above is a maze of blue and yellow as our guys are out on the field. Let's go blue!
To the side is my football serving tray. I know it's not blue but I thought I would show it to you any way. It's stocked with pita chips, summer sausage, and a nacho dip.

We added some chips, humus, and pistachio nuts and we were all set to enjoy the game.










For half time this week I made a garden salad with 6/2 dressing. 6/2 dressing is very simple to make and everyone seems to love it. It is six tablespoons vegetable oil to two tablespoons apple vinegar. Add a clove of minced garlic, a dash of oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. The recipe can be cut in half when you are not having a gang over like we usually do.
My hubby grilled lamb and boy was it good! We marinated the lamb in 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/8 cup Worcester sauce, a clove of minced garlic, a dash of basil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. We put all of the lamb and marinate in a bag and sort of massaged it into the meat every hour for approximate four hours. Then we took it out, placed it on a lined cookie sheet, salt and peppered it, and it was out to the grill. Thank you Kurt for this awesome recipe!
I also made my mother's rendition of Macaroni and Cheese because I didn't know how well the lamb would go over with our little Ryan. This macaroni and cheese is very simple to make and really good. All you need is a large brick of cheese, (I use sharp cheddar), a 20 oz can of whole tomatoes, salt, pepper, butter, a box of macaroni, and a 9 by 13 pan. Cut enough slices of cheese to line the top of your pan. Cut a few extra slices and set aside. Very lightly butter the bottom and sides of your pan. Cook the macaroni according to directions on the box. Drain well. Then take the whole tomatoes out of the can and break them up in the macaroni. Do not add the juice from the can. Cut the left over cheese into cubes and add it to the macaroni. Salt and pepper. Put the macaroni mixture into the dish. Cut a small pad of butter into fourths and place it around the top of the macaroni mixture. Then line the dish with the slices of cheese you cut earlier. Bake at 375 until golden brown and bubbly.

After the game we had chocolate cream pie which was made by the Traverse City Pie Company. It was the best! All of these pies are home made out of Michigan products. If you have never tried one you can go to http://www.gtpie.com/ to look for a location in your area.
I hope you enjoyed stopping by our house for some football. Do you have football parties at your house? If so, what are some of the kinds of treats you serve?
Happy Blue Monday everyone!
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

14 comments:

Mary said...

Carol, I was positively drooling when I finished reading about your game repast. That lamb sounds out of this world. A real touchdown:-). I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Shy said...

Football is like american tradition and sports.

SmilingSally said...

That looks like fun even if BLUE doesn't win. Charli sure gets "into it." Happy Blue Monday.

Just a little something from Judy said...

In a less involved way, I grew up in a football dedicated extended family also. We did not personally do tailgating parties, but when I heard stories from my friends who do, they always sounding like so much fun. You make it all look so festive, the food looks so good and I can almost sense the cheering in the background. By the time I finished reading your post today, I wanted a second lunch. I am going to make that dressing recipe. Thank you for sharing.

Happy Blue Monday to the two of you.

Queenmothermamaw said...

Getting a little to old to enjoy the tailgateing any more, but have sure had our share of fun. U of K is my team. "Go Big Blue" also. UK beat UL Saturday. Just a local brohaha.
QMM

Terry said...

Hubs would love the lamb, I have never thought of serving it during football. I might just have to suprise him.

I might get booed here but we live in Steeler country, but close enough to the Browns that sometimes it is a little uncomfortable. I loved your post!!

Eileen said...

Great post!
I loved all your blue, but most of all I loved the wonderful family feeling! All your food sounds great, I love lamb and your marinade sounds delicious! And great idea to grill!

I'm not a big sports fan but I do love the family-get togethers it produces! My family are big Giants fans so that takes care of football season, and they are big Yankee fans, so that takes care of baseball season. Baseball season is burgers and dogs on the grill, but somehow football season turned into french toast!! I don't know how I got roped into that one! Everyone snacks on the appetizers and then it's french toast at half time!

Charli looks adorable as usual! I love seeing her in all her outfits!

Nice post, Carol! It's fun to hear how your family carries on such a fun tradition!
Love, Eileen

mythoughtsmyvoice said...

Charli is so cute in her outfit. Way to go to be in the mood :-) I'm not a sports person LOL but I sure would like to try those chips (nice one with the football ball as a bowl) and chocolate cream pie? Oh my! :-)

Happy Blue Monday!

Li

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Carol! What an incredible spread of food and fun! I could easily snuggle up with Charli on your couch and watch the game! Autumn looks like fun in your town and the spirit of homecoming! Give that little four-legged cheer leader a squeeze! Anita

Neabear said...

Thank you for your visit and your sweet commments about our anniversary! You have a fun post too. My father-in-law went to University of Michigan. My B-Daddy can remember living in that area before they moved to California. My B-Daddy still roots for UoM because of his dad going there. He prefers to watch the college games over the pro games.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol! Yes, God is to be praised for all of the spectacular talents that abound in our world! Those bunnies are a hoot, aren't they? My husband is ordering the one with the momma and child in the blue coat! I love rabbits. Have a beautiful first day of fall! Bisous, Anita

Madeline's Album said...

Your post are always so interesting. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Have a great day.

Duchess of Tea said...

Good morning darling, where is your Tea & Friendship Tuesday's post? Just joking....you must be busy today. Have a wonder Tuesday and I will check back with you again later.

Love, Hugs & Tea
Duchess

Tootsie said...

we are hockey hockey hockey here!!! Canadians like their football...but hockey is always number one! great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails