Thursday, September 3, 2009

Booking Through Thursday.......


Welcome to Booking Through Thursday, at http://btt2.wordpress.com
This is a weekly post where book lovers like myself get together to have informal discussions about literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site...........

This week our question is as follows:
"What's the biggest book you've read recently?
(Feel free to think "big" as size, or as popularity, or in any other way you care to interpret.)"

I would have to say the largest, most popular, and powerful book I've read recently is 'Team of Rivals' written by Doris Kerns Goodwin. I actually read this book a couple of years ago and you may have heard me talk about it here in the past. It is a wonderful book about Abraham Lincoln, his rivals, and political strategies, but more than that, it is a book about life in the nineteenth century. Goodwin will take you on a colorful walk through history and transport you back to a different time and place. It is full of interesting tidbits and charming stories, as well as, profound sadness and heart wrenching events. Goodwin has a way of bringing the Lincoln presidency and the era to life! It is an exceptionally well written book and I would recommend it to any one who is at all interested in history. It will help you to understand politics and history in a way you never thought possible before.
I will leave you with an excerpt......
"While Mary charmed guests in her evening salons, she gained respect for the energy and aplomb with which she hosted the traditional White House receptions for the public. She believed that these social gatherings helped sustain morale. More important, her husband was proud of both her social skills and her appearance. "My wife is as handsome as when she was a girl," he said at one White House levee, "and I a poor nobody then, fell in love with her and once more, have never fallen out." Sigh.......

Happy Booking Through Thursday everyone!.......
I hope all of you have a beautiful day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

8 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Ah, romance! I've never read that one, Carol. Have a great day!

Susan B. Evans said...

Looks interesting :) I'll have to check it out... Here's my BTT.

violetcrush said...

wow, never heard of this book but it sounds absolutely great.

jlshall said...

Haven't read that one, but I do enjoy Goodwin's writing. Her books are always thoughtful, but fun to read, too.

Amy Reads Good Books said...

Nice pick! That is one I wanted to read but haven't yet.

Rob said...

Team of Rivals look pretty heavy (in every sense of the word :)), but ultimately satisfying I would imagine (although I don't need to 'imagine'. You've just given it a glowing recommendation :)).
Warmest
Rob

Sue said...

Biggest in size was 'A Suitable Boy'. It's a very long book and when I read it I had my arm in a cast with a broken wrist. I couldn't hold the book so Rob had to prop it up on a cushion for me.

It's one of my favorites. I loved the characters and didn't want it to end.

Novroz said...

I haven't read that one yet...but from your review, it sounds interesting

Related Posts with Thumbnails