Sunday, September 20, 2009

'Little Women'...... A theatrical production........


'Little Women'....... A theatrical production........

Recently I had the marvelous opportunity to see the stage play 'Little Women.' It was a amazing production with fabulous sets, beautiful costumes, and outstanding actors and actresses. 'Little Women' is a musical based on the book 'Little Women', written by Louisa May Alcott, which has always been one of my all time favorite books. As many of you already know 'Little Women' is a story about the March family who are trying to make due in the civil war era. It's a story about they're deep and abiding love for one another, they're struggles and hardships, and they're hopes and dreams. The play is funny, sad, and full of hope. If you love stage productions you will surely like this warm and charming play. At the little theater I frequent it received standing ovations.......

I would just like to mention here, as I have in the past, that if you love the theater as much as I do there is no need not to go because of the rising prices. I love to go to the Fisher Theater here in Detroit, and sometimes still do, but tickets run from one hundred and thirty six dollars, to one hundred and sixty six dollars, or more. If you love the theater you can see some wonderful productions at your local community colleges and universities. There are all kinds of great community theaters in villages and towns across the country where you can see fabulous theatrical productions at reasonable prices. To me there is just nothing comparable to seeing a play and especially a musical production.....

My husband I are fortunate to have found a small theater in our community called the Baldwin. It was originally called the Washington Theater and was built in 1922. It eventually fell on hard times, closed, and sat in disarray for years. In 1985 the Stagecrafters theatrical group, looking for room to expand, bought the dilapidated theater and restored it to it's former glory. All of the people involved with Stagecrafters pledged to volunteer one hundred hours of their time to get the theater up and running again. It was no easy task. They spent many hours, nights and weekends, scraping and painting the ornate ceilings and walls. Many people who lived in the area and loved theater also volunteered their time. The Baldwin Theater opened it's doors to the public on September 20, 1985. Stagecrafters is a very experienced and skilled theatrical group. They offer classes, through they're youth group, to aspiring young actors and actresses, as well as, anyone interested in the workings of the theater in general. Because Stagecrafters has been around so long they are able to offer elaborate sets, gorgeous costumes, and experienced actors and actresses who have been with the group for a very long time. Best of all the tickets are very reasonably priced. With a senior discount you can see one of the plays at the Baldwin for as little as sixteen dollars a person.....
To see a play at the Baldwin is like stepping back in time. The theater is small but it's just beautiful with it's glittering chandelier, lovely carpets, and gorgeous ornate walls and ceilings. The main theater seats 372. There is also a second stage that hosts more contemporary plays and seats 100. If you are interested in the theater I hope you will try some of the community theaters where you live. You might be pleasantly surprised to find a gem like the Baldwin in your area.......

I hope all of you have a great and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

Eileen said...

Oh, Carol, you are so lucky!
I love going to plays and musicals, but you are so right, the prices are outrageous!
We usually to the Christmas Show every year at Radio City in Manhattan, but we are trying to tighten our belts, so even that show is out this year!
I'm so glad you found a theater that is reasonable!
Enjoy!
All the best,
Eileen

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Carol dear! What a great post! You touched a nerve in me, you know, don't you! Theatres are such an exciting place to see literature come alive. Here in Minneapolis, we have a multitude of great theatres with top notch shows. I understand that Minneapolis is only second to New York for the amount of actors and theatres. It looks like in your part of the country, there is plenty to see! Thank you for such a wonderful tour of Broadway in your world! Give miss Charli a pat on her pretty little head from me and Balzac! Anita

Jerelene said...

Hello Carol! I love Little Women and I love musicals and theatre..
Your local theatre sounds and from the pics..looks lovely too! I really would love to see Little Women on stage!!
Our local high schools often do very nice musicals and plays in the spring. We often go see those.
Sam is taking beginning drama at his homeschool co-op. He has a wonderful teacher!
Lucky you!!
Hugs...Jerelene

Madeline's Album said...

What a great post. I love going to see musicals my granddaughter is performing in. I enjoy any play or musical put on my high school students or local community players. Hope your week is a good one. Madeline

KarenHarveyCox said...

Oh Carol, I love Little Women, it must be so wonderful on stage. I am always amazed at the prices of tickets in NYC. When I worked there thirty years ago, you could go downtown and buy tickets half price on Wednesdays. Today, I can't even imagine how a large family would entertain the idea.

Your local theater looks fabulous.

Karen

Queenmothermamaw said...

Oh we have a great community theater in our small town. You are right some of these folks have professional backgrounds and do a great job. Good post.
QMM

Walking on Sunshine... said...

How nice that you have a place locally! Enjoy your day!

Michael said...

Great advice! You are lucky to have a place like that near you!

P.S. I love the new decor on your blog!

Susie Q said...

I adore plays and musicals! I know you had a wonderful time and I am so glad! Little Women is such a sweet, timeless story and I can only imagine how great it was to see in performed on stage!
Love,
Sue

Related Posts with Thumbnails