Monday, September 28, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's... And 'The Little Black Dress'....


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, poems, personal stories, quotes, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It is a place to share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy your time here......


"What better way to suggest friendliness-and to create it-than with a cup of tea?" -J.Grayson Luttrell-

A couple of posts back I told you a little bit about the Troy Museum and Historical Village but I didn't tell you what I was doing there. Well, once a month the ladies of our community get together to sip tea and enjoy a little bit of history. The tea always takes place in the Troy church which is located on the grounds of the village. The church was build it 1837 and the stain glass windows were installed in 1900. The church is absolutely beautiful! I think what makes it so charming and pretty is it's simplicity. It's plain in the sense that it has old hard wood floors, sometimes marred kick boards, and wooden pews. It is actually very quaint and reminds me of the parish I used to belong to as a child. It also has an old piano, like the ones you used to see in schools, that is used in some of the presentations and ceremonies that take place there. What makes the church absolutely stunning is the beautiful stained glass windows. I couldn't get very good pictures in the church but when the light comes in through these lovely windows it bonces onto the walls creating magnificent colors and shadows..........
































We are always asked to bring our own tea cup and saucer to the 'Thursday Teas at Two' gatherings. I have talked about these tea's in the past and how wonderful it is to see the beautiful and sometimes unusual teacups and saucers that are brought to these events.
As you walk into the church there is a little tea table set up with different varieties of tea on it. After selecting the tea of your choice you walk to the back of the church where you will find a small side room. In this room there is another tea table set up with trays of dainty and delicious cookies. After choosing which kinds of cookies you would like, and placing them on your saucer, you pick up one of the official museum napkins. All of the napkins are the same. They are done in black and white with a monogrammed 'M.' As you move along you will come to another station where there is hot water, cream, sugar, and sometimes lemon. It's difficult to explain how delightful and organized this little process is. Everyone is introducing themselves, talking about the tea cups, and also the up coming presentation........
The thing that impresses me the most about these events is that we ladies are all so different and yet we are all sisters coming together to share a cup of tea. Some women dress up while others dress more causal. Some women wear make up while other women don't. Some women are young while other women are older. Some women where jewelry while others don't. Some of the women wear hats. Some women come in groups like 'The Red Hat Society', others come with friends, and still others come alone. It's amazing to look around the room and see how different all of us are and yet in other ways we are all so alike and similar......
The tea this month was called 'Dressed Up Tea' and it was fabulous! Rebecca L'Ecuyer, who is a collector of vintage clothing gave a presentation on the history of the 'little black Dress.' During the presentation we saw a vintage fashion show. It was wonderful! Apparently she gives these presentations all around the country so if it is ever offered in your area I hope you take the opportunity to go......
In 1926 Coco Chanel designed and introduced the first black dress into the world of fashion. Prior to that time the black dress was equated with funerals and mourning. The black dress is now known for it's versatility. Most women across America own at least one black dress and there is usually a story behind it. Rebecca shared so many interesting stories with us about the dresses she has purchased. It was fascinating! We saw many beautiful accessories from purses, to hats, to jewelry, shoes, gloves, and nylons. I didn't take any pictures of the actual fashion show but I did take one picture of some of the dresses on display in the church. The following images will give you an idea of what the fashion show was like......

































































After seeing the fashion show and hearing about the history of the 'Little black dress' I came up with an idea. Why not have a fashion show right here in blogland? I don't know if anyone has done anything like this before but I thought it would be a lot of fun! How about it? Charli and Me are going to sponsor a fashion show on October 22. If you are interested in participating please let me know and I will provide a link to your post. Otherwise, I hope all of you will enjoy seeing and hearing the story behind my 'Little Black Dress.'
Maybe you have a 'little black dress' that you have been unable to part with. Every dress has a story. Come share yours with us. Did you buy your dress for a special occasion or was it passed down through the generations? Perhaps it was hand made. Is it a designer dress or something you saw in a store and immediately fell in love with? Is it a dress you bought recently or is it a dress from a different era? What kind of accessories do you have? If you like, you can share hats, gloves, jewelry, shoes, or purses that go with your dress. I hope you will decide to join me. You can model your dress or display it in any way you choose. I can't wait to see all of your 'Little black dresses' and hear your wonderful stories!.........
Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!....
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

Eileen said...

Carol, this was a great post and a great idea!
I have tons of black dresses! It's really my favorite color!
My most favorite is a black suit that I have.

I'm sad that I won't be here on October 22! We'll be on vacation from October 17 to October 24!
But I am going to try to get a post set up and scheduled to post that day and hopefully it will work!
I'm sad that I'll be missing seeing everyone else post that day though, I'll have to go back and read them when I get home.
I think my husband might be taking his laptop, so I'll see what I can do.
Great idea, Carol!

And I love the idea of your community hosting a tea like this. Such a wonderful concept!
I enjoyed this a lot, Carol, thanks!
Love, Eileen

Birdman said...

Love the tea party. That was very interesting. I don't think I have ever owned a black dress but I will find one I do like for this occasion.I have made me a note, right in front of my nose or I will forget, and you can link me up. I have your button too. Thanks for the invite.
QMM

Queenmothermamaw said...

Carol the comment below from Birdman is from me. I commented from my husbands site and so all that belongs to
QMM

Cheryl B. said...

I agree with your side bar that MI is absolutely positivly beautiful ion the fall!!! I am from G.R. :-}

I stopped by your blog to verify that you were still hosting your Monday "theme day".

In case you aren't sure why I would do that, please first go here: http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911712/today--/

and then read this one:
http://thehousethatlovebuilt.xanga.com/712911311/sept-theme-days/

I see that you ae still hosting yours, so I shall leave you on the lists :-D

THANKS!!!
Cheryl B.

Just a little something from Judy said...

What a lovely tea party you were a part of. From reading your post today, I can tell there was much planning, preparation and thought put into that tea party. I like how you voiced the fact that there were so many women from varying backgrounds and yet you all joined together to celebrate your time together.

As for my black dress. I gave it away two years ago, after wearing it many times. I think it is a great idea to host a fashion show in blogland. I will eagerly look forward to it. I wear lots of black, but I do not own a black party dress. My favorite "black" outfit is my black suit. Another great idea my friend.

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, would you believe I do not own a black dress, I used to but I grew out of it, lol. I do have a lot of blacks slacks and blouses though. I will look forward to your fashion show. Have a blessed day. Madeline

claudie said...

Hello Carol and Charlie
I would love to participate in the little black dress post.
I will mark it on my calendar and have it ready in time. Promise.
Should be fun.
Thanks again
Love Claudie
xo

fiberdoodles said...

Carol & Charli please sign me up. I will gladly have a "little black dress" fashion show during my Halloween Blog Party. I can't wait; it will be a lot of fun! Great idea ;)

Sharon

claudie said...

Carol it's Claudie again.
I'm on a break for a while, so I will not be participating in the little black dress post... sorry.
thought I would let you know.
Love Claudie
xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails