Monday, October 19, 2009

A Halloween Blog Party!.......


Welcome to a 'Halloween Blog Party' hosted by Sharon, at Fiberdoodles http://fiberdoodlesandwhimsy.blogspot.com/
The blog party starts today and runs for thirteen days until Halloween so there is still plenty of time to join in the fun! You can post anything you want from decorating, to recipes, quilts, or even the history of Halloween. It's all up to you. I hope all of you will decide to participate and make this a truly spooktacular event!......



BOO!!!!.......

Here at Charli and Me we are all ready for Halloween! The Jack-O-Lanterns are lit and the haunted houses are up. What is that eerie sound? Is it coming from those creepy looking houses? The lights are all off and it's truly spooky all around our house!..........


We don't go trick-or-treating any more, and do very little decorating outside, but Charli, and our home is decked out and ready for our up coming Halloween family celebrations. Charli has her costume all picked out and will be showing it to all of you later this week...... Humm..... I wonder what she is going to be?......

As you can see our blog is all decked out for this spooky holiday too. Come on in..... I hope enjoy your time here. Please take a look around and listen to some of the fall and Halloween music we picked out especially for you......


















Pumpkins, witches, and bats!
Oh my!..........



This is my absolute favorite scary old witch! When anyone walks past her she shakes all over, screams 'Happy Halloween' in a very eerie tone of voice, and her eyes light up and flash in a spectacular shade of green. Why I do believe it matches her old wrinkled skin! Yikes! She has a built in motion detector and usually screams when no one is expecting her to. This old witch scares the Hebe gee bee's out of everyone...... LOL... She is so much fun!

















The tables are set for our family Halloween get together. Maybe I will make some black cat cookies, spicy pumpkin seeds, truffles, or bread. One thing I will be making for sure is my mom's happy face cupcakes. We have had them every year for as far back as I can remember except last year when my hubby was so sick. Oops, I have to remember to blow up the pumpkin for the pumpkin toss game. The pumpkin toss game is just one of the fun events at our family parties.......


Wow!.... Look at that witch!..... Very scary indeed!.....


For as long as I can remember October has been my favorite month of the year. I like everything about the month of October, and the season Autumn, but one of my favorite things is the silly old Jack-O-Lanterns that can be seen just about every where. I do tend to go a little overboard because from the beginning of October until the end of the month I have Jack-O-Lanterns lit up all over my home in much the same way people do Christmas trees in the month of December......

Did you know that the Jack-O-Lantern is an Irish tradition that started centuries ago? As early as the eighteenth century the Jack-O-Lantern has been mentioned in European literature. The legend is, "the name Jack-O-Lantern originally meant a man with a lantern. Irish legend tells how a farmer named Jack tricked the devil into a series of adventures and eventually into sparing his life. When Jack finally died, God would not let the tricky man into heaven and the devil didn't want him in hell. Because Jack was not allowed in heaven or hell, his spirit was forced to wander the earth with a burning ember straight from the fires of hell, held within a carved turnip. Jack supposedly used this unusual lantern to light his way as he roamed the land."
The Irish peasants originally carved lanterns out of potatoes, turnips, beets, and gourds. The earlier lanterns did not have faces but it was thought that they kept evil spirits away. Much later people began to crave scary faces in the vegetables to keep the spirits at bay. Because it was felt that Jack, and other evil spirits were strongest and lurking about on All Hallows Eve, the lanterns eventually became associated with this day. Eventually All Hallows Eve became known as Halloween. When the Irish immigrants came to America during the potato famine they used pumpkins as Jack-O-Lanterns because they were so abundant at that time of year.


In our family we don't light Jack-O-Lanterns to keep evil spirits away, but rather, because we think they are quite festive, silly, and happy little fellows.........

For our family the month of October is very busy with trips to cider mills, apple picking, baking pies, family get together's and celebrations.What about you ? Do you celebrate the month of October and Halloween? If so, what are some of the things you like do? Do you have family traditions associated with this time of year? I would love to hear from you.......

Happy Halloween Blog Party everyone!
Don't forget to stop over at Fiberdoodles to see all of the other parties going on here in blog land.....
And remember it's never to late to start a new family tradition!......
With warmest regards, Carol











18 comments:

Deb said...

wow you are set for Halloween....several of my father in laws neighbors have decorated outside for Halloween this weekend...the rain finally stopped for a few days...will have to get some photos and post them..can't wait to see Charli's costume...

SmilingSally said...

LOL, oh Carol, you really get into this holiday! Every inch of your home is "done up." I learned so much from your Irish history lesson about Jack-o-lanterns; thanks for that.

Shelley said...

you have so many wonderful halloween decorations! And I love cupcakes - yours sound fun! And I know Charli will be adorable whatever she decides to wear!!

Kathleen said...

Hi Carol,
Love all your decorations! The witch would make me jump!
And of course Jack O'Lantern is Irish! They are full of fun! :)
Kathleen

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That's fascinating, Carol, about the history of the Jack-o=lantern, and I had no idea they were originally carved from turnips and such! WOW! I don't do scary on Halloween, but I do like a cute carved pumpkin! I have been so busy lately that I haven't gotten my fall stuff out. It might not make it this year. LOL!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Denise Marie said...

cute party. That dog is living quite the life. I love his costume. I'm not sure what Jack Beagle would do dressed up but I'd love to get him a hotdog costume.

^..^ ...flying off

Debb said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and what a great paty you had . good luck in my drawing

Bunny Jeans Decor... and More! said...

Charli is so cute! I have to get some pictures of my doggies in their costumes.

I really learned a lot about Jack O'Lanterns. (Ban those evil spitits)

Thanks for visiting me this morning but, I noticed that you didn't... or forgot sign up for my giveaway for the Pumpkin Head Box.

Let me know if you are interested.

inspirações da Jô said...

Dear Carol,
Her blog is beautiful with the new theme of Halowwen!!!!!Happy Halowwen!!!!!And the decoration is very amused to celebrate such exciting date!!!!!!I adored the flashlights, the pumpkins, everything!!!Have fun!!!! My kisses sweet friend!!!!!!

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, your blog as usual is great. I am glad to learn that carving pumpkins is an Irish tradition. I have always loved the holiday of Halloween. I guess I am still a kid at heart. I love decorating my yard and inside the house. Thank you for your visit and sweet comment. Have a great day. Madeline

The Crap Blog Detective said...

Your house looks very cluttered with all those Halloween things. I am definitely scared.

Courtney Mroch said...

HI! I found you from fiberdoodles. Very neat and festive pics! Also, I learned something I hadn't known about Jsck-o-lanterns...I didn't know they originated in Ireland and had to do with keeping evil spirits away. Very cool! Like you, we do them because they're fun and festive.

fiberdoodles said...

Oh what a FUN party! I love your decorations and as always Charli is too cute! Can't wait to see what she will be wearing for Halloween ;)

Great info on the Jack-o-lanterns by the way. I always love to learn new things.

Take care my friend ~ until tomorrow,
Sharon

Irma's Rose Cottage said...

Love your pumpkin plate. You really have some cute decorations. I still am in the process of decoratiing.
Please come and visit when you get a chance.

Irma :)

Lisa said...

Love the decor. Love Charli's outfit!! Perfect for the holiday!!

Wanda said...

Every bit of your Halloween and Fall decorations are wonderful Carol. I especially like the witch on your door and the beautiful plate with the 3 pumpkins...but everything is so festive!

Sarah said...

Great post! Love reading this and seeing your photo. The jack-o-lantern is fabulous. It really glows!

Party Rentals Hammond said...

What ever the function is whether it is wedding or birthday, for best rentals services for your function contact the company link where you will find all the information about the company and its services.
Party Rentals Hammond

Related Posts with Thumbnails