Wednesday, October 21, 2009

'The Little Black Dress' Fashion Show.....


Welcome to 'The Little Black Dress' fashion show hosted by Charli and Me. As I explained in a previous post, the inspiration for my fashion show came from a 'Little Black dress' fashion show that I recently was fortunate enough to attend at a local Historical Museum and Village right here in Michigan. The museum and village fashion show was hosted by Rebecca L'Ecuyer, who is a collector of vintage clothing. She not only showed us beautiful black dresses and accessories from different time periods but she also shared the wonderful and interesting stories behind the dresses. It was a fabuous fashion show and so much fun! As I looked at the models in these beautiful dresses and heard the stories about them I couldn't help thinking about my own 'Little Black Dress' that has been tucked away in the back of my closet for years. I enjoyed the fashion show so much that I thought it would be fun to have one right here in blogland........

In 1926 Coco Chanel introduced the first black dress into the world of fashion and it created quite a stir. Prior to that time women did not where black unless it was to attend a funeral or they were in mourning. When Coco Chanel introduced the black dress Women went wild and clamored to have them. The 'little black dress' has remained a constant in the fashion world ever since.

Every 'Little Black Dress' has a story. Come show us your dress and share your story with us. All of the information about the fashion show is listed on my sidebar. It's not to late. Just leave a comment here so my dear friends and I can pop over for a visit. I would love to hear from you.........


I purchased my own 'little black dress' in the fall of 1992. At the time I was working full time and in school at Oakland. I was extremely busy as I am sure all of you can appreciate. I have never been a fahionista and I have never owned many dresses, black or otherwise, but one of our son's was getting married the first of the year and so it was imparitive that I find a formal dress. The pressure was on. I had just started looking, and I really had no idea what I was doing, or where to begin. I happened to be walking through Hudson's Department Store one afternoon and there at the end of the hall, in the women's section, hanging on a rack, was the most beautiful black dress I had ever seen! It was very simplistic. It was actually quite plain, yet feminine and elegant. I immediately fell in love with it. The dress was tea length and the designer was Carole Little. I think I liked the dress so much because it was styled a little different from most other dresses I had seen. I loved the bow, the long waist, the length, and also the flowing, flimzy, sheer, and delicate material it was made of. I thought it was so lovely and classy! I wasn't thinking about if the dress was right for the wedding, or if I would ever get to wear it any where, I just knew if I had to buy a dress that was the one I wanted. I decided I would try it on thinking they probably wouldn't have it my size any way, and even if they did, I would look terrible in it, but they did have my size, it fit perfectly, and I felt luxurious in it. The pictures you will see shortly do not do the dress justice. I really wanted to model it for you but let's just say I've changed a little since then :>) The day I found my dress was truly a lucky one for me. I also found the perfect black slip, black shoes, earrings, and even a darling little purse to go with it. I remember thinking to myself, thank goodness that's over with! Then I took all of my purchases home and tucked them away in my closet..........


Here is my dress! As you can see the pictures didn't turn out very well. Can you see the bow and the long waist on the dress?










































Well, Christmas came and went. The wedding invitations went out and my family and friends starting inquiring about my dress for the wedding. When I told them it was black I recieved some mixed responses. Two weeks before the wedding my sister came over and asked to see my dress. I tried it on, and although she loved it, she asked me if I was sure I wanted to wear a black dress to my son's wedding. I admit that I hadn't thought to much about it. To make a long story short, my sister and I went to a bridal shop in the area to see if I could find another dress in a different color. There I found the following dress. It was full length so I had to have it shortened to tea length. Then I had to find shoes and have them dyed to match the dress. It all worked out in the end, because as some of you know, blue is my favorite color, but as my hubby and I walked hand and hand into the reception hall, I couldn't help thinking for a moment about my 'little black dress' hanging back home in my closet.......




























I love sparkly bling type jewelry. Costrume jewelry can be a lot of fun, because as you know, you can get a lot of bling for your buck :>)


I hope you have enjoyed seeing my 'little black dress' and hearing my story. Although I don't think I will ever wear my black dress again, I did wear it to several other weddings, I just can't bare to part with it. If I ever do decide to part with it, I think I will give it to Rebecca L'Ecuyer so it can become part of her 'Little Black Dress' fashion show.......

Please stop over and visit some my other dear blogger friends who are participating in the fashion show. They can be reached by clicking the following links.....

Thanks you so much to all of you who decided to participate in the fashion show. I can't wait to see all of your pretty dresses and hear your wonderful stories...
With warmest regards, Carol

13 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, loved both your LBD and your blue one, too!

While I adore the black one, I think it was probably a good idea that you wore the blue to the wedding. I had a friend whose mother in law had worn a LBD to her wedding back in the 1940's, and she said she never forgave her! These days, though, bridesmaids are wearing black to weddings, so I think it wouldn't have the same connotations. But it's an interesting debate all the same.

I know you look beautiful in both dresses. Carol Little is a favorite of mine, too.

Love to you and Charli...

XO,

Sheila :-)

fiberdoodles said...

Oh what a pretty dress! Thank you so much for hosting this. I think black is so elegant. I have a ton of black clothes but haven't wore a dress in awhile. I had a little too much fun with this ~ it brought back memories from "modeling" days. Thank you

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Carol...this is so lovely. I am so sad at this moment because I could have had such a nice post to add, but my teaching job is too demanding and we don't get home until 7:30 in the evening! There is no time for me to blog during the week...thank you anyway for the lovely invitation and all your accessories are just stunning!!! Does little Charli have a black ensemble as well?? Love and hugs, Anita

Micki said...

What pretty dresses and I loved the story behind them!
Micki

sunshine said...

Great story Carol~and beautiful dress!!!
Hey! I've changed since I bought mine too but I still put mine on! :P hehe.
I love the long waist on yours, very pretty.
My Mother in law wore black to my wedding but, we're Italian soooo...I didn't really think anything of it at the time. Afterwards my friends kept asking me.."Were you upset that she wore a BLACK dress to her sons wedding?"..I honestly don't think she meant it as anything bad though. we've never spoken of it. :) Better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks again Carol! I had a lot of fun with this. I'll get round to the other ladies and see their dresses after I get my kids off to school....

Have a great day!
((Hugs))
Laura

Deb said...

cute black dress...glad you decided to go with the blue for the wedding...I will be posting my "Little Black Dress" today...

Deb

Wanda said...

I loved your black dress story Carol...but I guess blue was the best choice for your son's wedding...although personally I love black.

SmilingSally said...

Wonderful story, Carol. You AND your black dress would have gone perfectly to my daughter's black and white wedding! That was 25 years ago when it was most definitely NOT fashionable to wear black to a wedding.

BTW: that blue dress is gorgeous, and I'll bet you looked FAB.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Your black dress is stunning, and I love the blue one too. We all need the perfect little black dress. I remember when I took my youngest daughter shopping for her first black dress. I taught her that sometimes the one in the shop that looks a bit plain on the hanger, hangs the best on your figure.
Have a wonderful little black dress party.
Karen

Sue said...

I'll have to dig out my little black dress. It's around here somewhere.

Eileen said...

Hi, Carol!
We're still away but I had to pop in to see your post!
I wanted to wear black to my son's wedding too! But I was told that is a BIG NO-NO! It's acceptable if you are mother of the bride, but if you are mother of the groom it is a big insult to the bride's family, so I did what I read in a book somewhere "the mother of the groom should just wear beige and smile and blend into the background"! So that's what I did!

I loved both your dresses and I love the color blue but I am so partial to black so you know I would have been rooting for that one!
I'm sure they both look beautiful on you! Post pictures sometime, I'd love to see them!

Thanks for doing this, Carol! I had so much fun, and Jayden was a riot taking pictures!
I wish I was home to relax and enjoy it all, but we'll be home this weekend and I'm going to try and catch up on it all!

Great idea, Carol!
'Loved it!
Love you!, Eileen

CIELO said...

thanks for doing this... it was fun!

and oh my Princess Charli looks sooo cute in the above pics...! Congratulations!

cielo

JG said...

Both of your dresses are quite elegant! I have not worn my little black dress in a few years.

Thank you for visiting my blog and for your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails