Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's.........



Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, poems, personal stories, quotes, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It is a post to share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy your time here.........


"Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."
-Girl Scout Song-
"Family traditions are the glue that binds one generation to another"

One of my sister-in-laws and I were talking one day about family traditions. She said that every Halloween while her son's were growing up they had pizza and brownies for dinner. A simple tradition but one that is so delicious! Guess where her son's gather with they're families every Halloween? You guess it and I bet some day my nephews will start that same tradition in they're own homes with they're children and grandchildren.



One of our family traditions is to make Spicy pumpkin seeds at Halloween. We have been making them for years. It's a recipe that is very tasty and easy to make......



























Spicy Pumpkin Seeds (A Martha Stewart Recipe)
1 medium pumpkin
5 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
1/12 tablespoons peanut oil
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pumpkin open, removing seeds with a long handled spoon. Carve a Jack-O-Lantern from the pumpkin. Separate the pumpkin flesh from the seeds. The pumpkin should yield one cup of seeds. Spread seeds on parchment paper in an even layer. Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about one hour. Let cool.
In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. I do use a pinch more of the spices than the recipe calls for so the spices are more prominent than the sugar. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Cook until the sugar melts and the pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds. Transfer to the bowl of spices, and stir well to coat.
Let cool. These may be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.
Brownies and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds are delicious and would be nice to serve on any Halloween tea table.
Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!
Thank you for all of the lovely comments you leave on my posts ♥
I hope all of you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

Walking on Sunshine... said...

I've never had pumpkin seeds! Your recipe seems like one I would enjoy! Enjoy your day!

Deb said...

when I was growing up we always had sandwiches on Halloween...we lived in the country...so we would go to my grandparents to go trick or treating...and have sandwiches for dinner...sometimes with a pot of stew depending on the weather

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Those pumpkin seeds sound delicious, Carol. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Shelley said...

Simple traditions - especially ones involving food are the best!! My parents always got us pizza on halloween night too! Now I do it for my stepson. Thank you for sharing that pumpkin seed recipe - what a neat twist!

CIELO said...

OK, my party post is up now... I'm a little early, but hope it's OK by you!

Hugs

Thanks you for hosting such a fun event!

cielo

fiberdoodles said...

Yummmm, I just love pumpkin seeds!

bj said...

I didn't know about the Tea and Friendship Tuesdays..I will try to make it to the next one. There's so so many parties going on in Blogland all the time, I get left behind sometimes. :(

So sorry, too, that I don't have one little black dress in my whole entire closet. Woe is me!!
I am black dressless !! bwaaaa
Have fun with it anyway...

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning Carol! My job is keeping me working for at least 14 hours a day....I love pumpkin seeds!! And, I am sorry, but I am not ready for today's post on the little black dress...I am so sorry, I just didn't have time to prepare. Take my name off the list if that is still possible. Have a great, fun day!! Anita

sunshine said...

Mmmmm I love pumpkin seeds!

I did my post and am all ready to publish it tomorrow for the Fashion Show!!! Hope that it's okay. I'm nervous. :)

Hugs
Laura

Related Posts with Thumbnails