Thursday, November 19, 2009

Booking Through Thursday......


Welcome to Booking Through Thursday at http://btt2.wordpress.com/
This is a weekly post where book lovers such as myself get together to have informal discussions about literature and books. If you would like to join our group, or you would like more information about us, just click on the above link to reach the official Booking Through Thursday web site........




Today's question was submitted by Barbara and is as follows.......
"Do you think any current author is of the same caliber as Dickens, Austin, Bronte, or any of the classical authors? If so, who, and why do you think so? What books from this era might be read one hundred years from now?"

Whew.... These are loaded questions but I will give it a try. Yes, I do think there are some wonderful authors of the same caliber as Dickens, Austin, and Bronte. Certainly they're books will withstand the test of time and be read one hundred years from now. These authors are brilliant, descriptive, and colorful. They have proven over time to be phenomenal writers. I think these authors will withstand time because they write from the heart about every day life, culture, and history. These are subjects that remain of interest to most people. These types of books give us a glimpse into family life, life in a certain time period, or sweep us away on a wonderful or daring adventure. Who doesn't love to read these types of books? Some authors that come to mind are William Faulkner, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Gabriel Garcia Marquez (a brilliant writer), Sharon Kay Penman, and of course John Steinbeck.
I think Doris Kerns Goodwin is an example of one of the greatest non-fiction writers of our time.
Some books will withstand time because of the popularity associated with them like the Harry Potter series and still other books will stand out as one time masterpieces such as 'The Road' and "To Kill A Mockingbird.'
Happy Booking through Thursday everyone!
I hope you have a wonderful day....
With warmest regards, Carol

8 comments:

Queenmothermamaw said...

Great post. I have read every one of John Grisham's books. Love a good moral novel and he has gotten into the morality pretty strong. The Testimony, The Brethren, just to name a few. Of course I love books about strong heroines. Ken Follette is another one of my favorites. Barbara Kingsolver and her new release. Jean Auel and the Earth Children. I could go on and on. But as I think about it. I don't know if there will ever be another Jane.
QMM

zetor said...

I have read Penman and Steinback mentioned in a few blogs, this is such a good way to be reminded of authors I had forgotten. My answer is here,http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/booking-through-thursday.html Happy Thursday!

♥ Kathy said...

Hi Carol ♥ I missed you! On the reading subject, I think I've mentioned that I'm a huge Stephen King fan. I don't think he's in the same league as Dickens, Austin or Bronte but I sure do enjoy him. While we have been without electricity I have reread all 32 of his books that I own (he has written over 50 but that's all I own so far) and given myself the heebie-jeebies :)

Eileen said...

I agree with you about all the authors you mentioned, Carol.

I especially like Doris Kearns Goodwin, last I heard she was working on a book about Teddy Roosevelt, I don't think it's out yet.

Great post!
All the best,
Eileen

Madeline's Album said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing your views. Have a great evening.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

Love Faulkner!! Daughter does as well. I'll have to look up a couple of the other names. I love stories that transport me to their time. I want to get lost in the reading and not feel like i'm just reading a page, in a chapter that completes the book. Know what I mean? Just want to get lost. Hugs. Tammy... hi Charli!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh how I wish I had more time to take your wonderful recommendations, Carol! I am up to my ears in parent/teacher conferences....I need a break! I hope all is well! Love to all, Anita

Julie said...

Although I am not familiar with all the authors you mentioned, you said it so well I don't have to add my own comments. I definitely agree about "To Kill A Mockingbird". I'm going to have to put "The Road" on my reading list.

Related Posts with Thumbnails