Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Christmas lunch with Ryan and Aayden.....




A Christmas Lunch with Ryan and Aayden.......




One of the things my husband and I have always done with our children, grandchildren, and now great grandchildren is plan a special day just for them during the Christmas season. We like to do it after the tree is up, the house is decorated, and the presents are wrapped so there is nothing pressing. That way
we can truly enjoy the day with them. We have taken them on excursions to the mall, Greenfield Village, to plays, to build bears, out to lunch, Christmas shopping, and had many, many parties at our house.
This year we decided to have a Christmas lunch, (kids only), with the exception of my hubby, myself, and Charli. We invited our grandson Ryan and great-grandson Aayden to spend the day with us helping grandpa put up our train and me do crafts. I really don't know who has more fun at these get togethers, me, my hubby, or them. I wish I could show you pictures of our precious grandchildren in they're sweet little elf hats but you will just have to use your imagination and come along to the party with us.

As you can see up above the first thing I did was make cupcakes. Yummy! We all love cupcakes at our house.
Next I made some Jigglers which most children just love. Jigglers are fun, easy to make, and believe me they caused a lot of giggles as out little grands tried to pick them up and eat them. I also made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which are always a hit with the younger crowd. I cut them out in the shape of gingerbread men and I have to say our grands just loved these little guys. Aren't they just the cutest things?









I would have felt guilty had I not served something healthy. Fruit and veggies always go over big in our family.













I was looking through a magazine that had an article about dressing up the ordinary during the holidays so I added a ribbon to my very ordinary and plain pitcher.


Ryan and I found some great little Christmas tree Ice cube makers when we were shopping at the dollar store one day. I decided to made the ice cubes out of fruit punch Kool-Aid and put lemonade Kool-Aid in the pitcher. As the ice melted in the pitcher it looked so pretty. I loved it and just may use something like this for my next tea party.



I placed an elf hat over the back of every ones chair. They really looked festive and added another fun element to our party. I also placed some crafts and a cane filled with candy by each of our grandchildren's place settings. I made napkin rings out of a reindeer pez container and filled Christmas boxes with some goodies from the dollar store to use as favors. I had some left over glitter foam cut outs of trees, stars, and snowflakes that I scattered around on the table. Of course we had children's Christmas music playing in the background. Our grandchildren loved it all! Aayden, who is three years old, after eating a cupcake said, "This lunch was very delicious." It was so cute the way it just sort of came out of the blue.


After lunch my husband and Ryan put the train together. Then Ryan taught Aayden how to run it. They had a ball taking turns running the train, as well as, loading and unloading the box cars. They were so proud of the crafts they made and couldn't wait to show them to they're mothers. They also had fun playing with our musical soldier, reindeer, and talking tree. As I sat watching them, seeing the smiles on they're faces, and listening to them talking and laughing, I couldn't help but think of Christmases past when our children and older grandchildren were little just like them. I think it was a very special day for all of us. I know it is one I will remember for a long time to come.

And where was Charli while all of this was going on? She was mooching treats at the table, sitting in the middle of the train tracks, laying on the back of the sofa watching all of the activities, and chasing all of us around the house with her squeak toys.
































































We hope all of you are enjoying this wonderful Christmas season ♥


With warmest regards, Carol


10 comments:

Just a little something from Judy said...

Your grandchildren and great grandchildren are so fortunate to have you and your husband in their lives. Giving the gift of time is of great value. You are creating lasting memories. I can't imagine what the littlest ones thought when they saw your husband's train sets,or sat down to that good food you created just for them. Thank you for sharing a bit of your family life with us.

Eileen said...

Oh, thank you for showing us your Christmas luncheon, this was such fun! I love all you do for your family, they must all be so happy to be in your home!
Great ideas too, and I'm going to steal some of them if you don't mind!

Mia loves peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and that is usually what I make her for lunch when I am watching her, I'll have to use the Gingerbread man idea, she will love it!
I'm making a punch for Christmas so I will use the idea of the ice cubes too. Wonderful! Everything looks so festive!
I'm glad you had such a good time, and I'm happy you were able to relax and really enjoy it!
Today is St. Lucia Day, a big festival in Sweden and I am having the family over to celebrate. Swedish meatballs and lada are in the oven now, and I better go tend to the rest of the meal!
Love to you,
Eileen

♥ Kathy said...

Oh Carol it sounds like you had a wonderful day! And I'm glad Charli decided to act better at this get-together!

JG said...

That was certainly one grand feast! The Gingerbread Man Sandwiches are so cute. Jigglers are enjoyed by children of all ages. What a great day!

Wanda said...

Beautiful tree and beautiful lunch. Lovely memories for everyone!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, Carol... what a precious post! I loved reading this SO much and how blessed your grands are to have you and your DH. Thanks so much for sharing this with us. Sending you lots of love...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh good evening, sweet, sweet Carol and Charli! Thank you for your encouraging comments dear one! You know, this is the first time I have received not one, but many comments about publishing my work. That is a dream of mine and maybe I could do something with this little story. Thank you...and I love your music and your festive décor, Carol. I just love how you include little Charli and all your family. Your food looks so fun and festive and when I saw the green Jello, I wanted to cry, because it reminded me of my beloved mom who used to make me green Jello with chopped apples and walnuts!! And for Christmas...oh là là! What a feast chez nous. God bless you dear one, you are a blessing! Anita

Madeline's Album said...

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks for sharing your ideas and great pictures of your luncheon for the boys. Everything looked so good. What wonderful memories you have made. Have a great evening. Madeline

YourTeaLife said...

What beautiful pictures and Christmas memories you have made!


Thanks so much for sharing.

MARIA said...

It is very inspiring and beautiful post!
Special day for kids is a great idea!
Your kids will be remember that beautiful time forever!

Related Posts with Thumbnails