Monday, December 28, 2009

Sometimes the best gifts come in small packages!....


Sometimes the best gifts come in small packages!


My hubby and I really went all out this Christmas! We decided the sky was the limit as far as gifts were concerned and we had loads of fun doing our Christmas shopping. I have to admit the things we got our family were outrageous and frivolous, but hey, Christmas only comes once a year. When I first told my hubby what I wanted to do for Christmas and how much money I wanted to spend he thought I had finally flipped out but when I came home with these cute little Christmas tins he knew I was serious. That's when he decided to get involved. I honestly have to say I don't know which one of us had more fun, him or I.

My hubby and I have known for a long time how much Anne has always wanted to go to Italy so we decided to send her on an all expenses paid vacation to the country of her dreams.







We found a very cool looking tree house and decided it
would make a wonderful Christmas gift for our great-grandson
Aayden.
Since Kurt was a little boy of maybe seven or eight years old, and
used to go on sailing trips with my brother and sister-in-law,
he has talked about owning a Marina one day. We found one
for sale on the Internet and gave it to him.

Now what little boy wouldn't want to go to Disney World? My hubby and I decided this would be the perfect gift for our grandson Ryan.

We have all heard the term 'it is better to give than receive.' Well that statement is so true! We have always felt that
way but this year even more so. My hubby and I had so much fun trying to decide what would be the perfect gift for everyone in our family. After we were finished picking out every ones gifts we picked out a gift for each other. We talked about these gifts for days. We taunted and teased each other all the while trying to guess what the gifts could possibly be. All of this was pretend of course but just think about how much fun it would be to give your family something you knew they had always wanted, or you thought they would absolutely love to have for Christmas, but never in a million years would it be something you would ever be able to afford.
On Christmas Eve, prior to our regular Christmas exchange, we told our family how much we wished we could give them the world for Christmas, but since it wasn't possible, we were giving them these much thought out pretend gifts instead. We told them not to open any gifts until everyone got one. Then they took turns, sharing pictures, and reading aloud what each of them had gotten from us and why. Our family absolutely love this idea! In fact, it was the hit of our Christmas party! They couldn't wait to open they're gifts. They were very excited to see what we had picked out for them. They couldn't wait to see what my hubby had given me, what I had given him, and what the others had gotten. They had so much fun, and liked it so much, that they decided they want to draw names next year and give some pretend gifts of their own. My brother and sister-in-law loved the idea so much that they are going to do it for our nieces Christmas party later this week. I can't wait to see what gifts they have chosen for us and them. I wish I had words to begin to express how much fun this was and how much all of us enjoyed it.
I'm unable to take credit for this idea myself. I happened to turn on the TV one day and something similar to this was being done in one of the Christmas movies on the Hallmark channel. It was presented a little differently in the movie, in that the family was unable to afford any gifts at all, but basically it was a similar concept...
It's the thought that counts.....
And It's really true..... Sometimes the best gift do come in smallest packages!.......
With warmest regards, Carol

18 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I think you mean that you gave VIRTUAL gifts to those you love...? right?

Charli and me said...

Yes. We took pictures, and sometimes information, off of the internet. Then we transfered the pictures to our word processor and attached a note:>) After we were finished we tucked the notes into the tins and added a name tag. It went over better then my reindeer punch! LOL Our family just loved the idea.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WOW! I can't believe what exquisite gifts that you ACTUALLY GAVE to your family!!! A marina??? Really? I so love the pretend gift exchange, Carol! This was the funnest Christmas ever. Blogging had much to do with it. Exchanging gifts with blogging friends really was fun, and keeping up with comments and Christmas wishes throughout the night was fabulous! LOVE ABOUNDS!!! May you and your lovely family and Miss Charli have the best new years dear, wonderful Carol!!! Anita

Wanda said...

What a wonderful tradition that could be Carol. Since Christmas is over, maybe I could do it for birthdays in the New Year. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

MARIA said...

I wish you my dear friend
happy, healthy and successful New Year!

Madeline's Album said...

I saw the same movie on the Hallmark channel. What a wonderful thing to do for your family. I know you all had a great time. It is the thought that counts not the gift. Have a great day. Madeline

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, this is brilliant! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

XO,

Sheila :-)

♥ Kathy said...

Oh that is SO cool Carol! And it is definitely the thought that counts!!

Vee said...

What a fun thing to do...I'm in. Hope that I can get my family to agree. ;D

GrandmaK said...

Oh how wonderful! You had me on the edge of my seat! Wishing you an exciting New Year!!! Cathy

sunshine said...

Great idea Carol! I love it!
Perhaps I will try this out next year!

((Hugs))
Laura

JG said...

Your family had such fun! That is a priceless idea.

Happy New Year to you & your family!!!

Michael said...

What a great idea! I might have to steal this for next year. (I also have 360 days to figure out what to "pretend gift" you and Charli next year;) )

Blessings each day said...

At first when I started reading this I thought that you had REALLY bought all those incredible gifts!! Then I realized that it was a 'wish I could do it all' list, but what a great idea and I may borrow it too! It's extra special because you did research and came up with something to show each person!

Carol, may you and your family and sweet little Charli be blessed with a holy and dream come true New Year!!

blessings with hugs,

marcy

Just a little something from Judy said...

Wow! I was reading through this post and thinking to myself, I can't believe they did this!!! Then I realized what you were really doing and found myself thinking what a great idea! Seriously, the thought of doing that sounded like so much fun to me. Thank you for a wonderful idea to tuck away for next year. I am sure your family will not forget your thought and creativity in coming up with this gift.

My wish for you, Charli and the rest of your family is that you will enjoy peace and blessings in the coming New Year! You and your blog continue to bless my life via your blog. For that I am going to give you an all expense paid trip to Ireland for two weeks(see I did catch on to your idea).

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling, I thank you for your love and support this past year when I needed it most. Your kindness has left me feeling blessed. You have made my first year of blogging a memorable one!! I am certain that 2010 will be an amazing year for us both. Enjoy the last day of the year and have a marvelous 2010 full of good health, happiness, prosperity, love and blessings.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

the voice of melody said...

These are all wonderful gifts and what's even more special is the time and effort that was put into each one. I think it's a very sweet thing to do and although it's not the "real thing", the love and thoughfulness that went into picking the perfect gift for each family member is a precious gift itself.

Thank you for sharing this idea, it really sounds like a lot of fun!

Sue said...

My very real gift for you is peace and good health and happiness in the new year. I'm so glad I discovered your blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails