Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's.......


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me.This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups,recipes, poems, personal stories, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. If you would like to join me just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my dear friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise,
thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥
"Many a friendship, long, loyal, and self-sacrificing, rests on no thicker a foundation than a kind word."-Frederick W. Faber-

In my family Thanksgiving was always considered the kick off to the Christmas season, and although we didn't put up our tree until
much later the next month, we would see little hints of Christmas colors and sometimes even home made Christmas decorations hung here or there as early as Thanksgiving Day. When I was a little girl there was no such thing as an artificial Christmas tree and I can still remember all of the hoop-la when those trees started appearing in local stores in my late teens.
One of our family traditions every year at Thanksgiving, and again on Christmas Eve, was to have a fruit salad that my mother and grandmother called 'heavenly hash.'
I don't know where the recipe came from but it was always one of my favorite desserts so I have continued this tradition in my own family all these years. Do you see the pretty green and red colors? It looks very festive on the table and especially when placed in some sort of a crystal bowel. I think it would be a great addition to any tea table. It would look very pretty if it were served in little crystal dishes of some sort with seasonal napkins. It's really quite simple to make.
Heavenly Hash
2 cartons whipping cream
1 large box green jell-o
1 large box red jell-o
1 large can of fruit cocktail
At least one cup of mini marshmallows
At least one cup chopped nuts (I use walnuts)
Make jell-o the night before according to the directions on the package.
The next day take it out of the refrigerator and run a knife in straight lines, both ways, through it. Then place the jell-o in a large deep bowl. Drain the fruit cocktail and add to bowl. Make sure to drain well so the salad won't be watery. Whip the two cartons of whipping cream until peaks form. Add nuts, marshmallows, and whipping cream to the jell-o fruit cocktail bowl and fold all of the ingredients together. Transfer to a decorative bowl, cover, and refrigerate.

What are some of your favorite holiday traditions? I would love to hear from you.
Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!
I hope all of you have a lovely day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

11 comments:

Mary said...

Your heavenly hash looks heavenly. You asked about traditions. The Sunday before Christmas we make ginger bread men. I hope you had a great Blue Monday.

Carol said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe! Have a wonderful week!

Just a little something from Judy said...

My grandma used to make this heavenly hash recipe and I forgot all about it. How much fun it was to read your post today and be reminded of my dear grandma. You are right, it is delicious, and I will make it this Christmas. I find myself looking forward to your Tuesday Teas.

JG said...

Your punch bowl contains a yummy looking treat!

Every year while we are decorating our tree, our small lighted ceramic Christmas tree is placed in our front window. It was a gift many years ago.

It has become a tradition for me to bake the Cranorange Cake and the cut out Sour Cream Sugar Cookies.

Madeline's Album said...

Your heavenly hash looks so good. I have to bake gingerbread cookies and pumpkin breads for my family. When the children were young we would take them out Christmas Eve to see the Christmas lights around the neighbor. Have a great Tea and Friendship Tuesday. Madeline

koralee said...

Thank you for visiting me the other day. Your heavenly hash looks amazing ...thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Week to you!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, that recipe does indeed look heavenly. So pretty and such a pretty bowl, too.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Lovely, lovely recipe Carol! You put on a wonderful spread for all your friends. Thank you dearest one! Love to you and Charli dear! Anita

I love your wallpaper style background and that Charli looks sweet in her little sweater!

♥ Kathy said...

That looks really yummy Carol!

SmilingSally said...

Jello had that recipe published many years ago; I think they called it "Stained Glass."

Shelley said...

That heavenly hash looks so pretty - I would love to have some!! What a great dish to have for christmas!
Hope you and Charli are doing well! Scout says WOOF!

Related Posts with Thumbnails