Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's.......


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, poems, personal stories, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my dear friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥


"A forever friend is a gift given to us
even through we may not deserve it.
He or she makes us feel rich-
even when we're not-
and leaves us with a warm memory
of the way their eyes brighten
each time we meet."
-Forever friends-
The Clever Factory Inc.


I just love party favors. I think they look so pretty and are such a special touch to any table. One of the things that I like to do for our family Christmas celebrations is make crackers. Our grandson Ryan usually helps me in some way by either gluing, filling, or shopping for the gifts.
Crackers are a fun and whimsical British tradition that can be used for any holiday, on any type of family celebration, or as party favors for a special tea. It is a tradition that started in the Victorian era, as early as the mid 1840's, and was invented by a cook named Tom Smith.
I make my crackers a little differently in that I do not use card board paper tubes. Instead, I use standard card stock paper. I cut each sheet in half and then glue wrapping paper to one side of it. I like to use wrapping paper made of foil, or with a touch of glitter in it, or is shiny in some way so that when the candles are lit the light bounces of the paper and makes the crackers look especially pretty.
After the glue has dried I cut two pieces of tissue paper as wide as the card stock paper. I leave the length as is so there is tissue paper hanging evenly over each side of the card stock paper. Then I glue the tissue paper to the opposite side of the wrapping paper on the piece of card stock. You don't have to glue the pieces of tissue paper separately because they will stay together unless you pull them apart. After the glue is dry, form the card stock into a tube, and staple it together at each end. The crackers will be a little larger than the ones you can purchase in the store.

Next I fill the crackers with little gifts. I use all kinds of things to fill them with like tiny bottles of shampoo or lotion, lip gloss, match box cars, rings, bracelets, candy, and sometimes even a handkerchief. It's also nice to tuck in little messages, poems, riddles, or other greetings of some kind. The crackers can be customized for baby showers, weddings, and birthdays. The possiblities are endless.
After I have inserted my gifts I gently twist the ends and tie them with ribbon. I like to use gold, or silver, but any type of ribbon that will pick up the light will do. The last step is to very gently pull the tissue paper apart in order to fluff it up. This year I used two different colors of tissue paper.

Crackers are a fun addition to any celebration. Our family usually sits down and opens them together. They make great conversation pieces. We usually trade our gifts back and forth until we all get something we can use, and our grandchildren, of course, can wind up with those little Match Box cars :>)






Well, I have to get back to making my crackers or I won't have them finished in time for Christmas.
Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol
What's that? Don't worry Charli. You'll get a cracker too.

13 comments:

Madeline's Album said...

Your crackers are just adorable and so unusual. I have never heard of them before. Thanks for sharing this with us. have a great tea and friendship Tuesday. Madeline

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Carol, this is brilliant! I use crackers every year, but I think it's even more fun to make them and put what you want in them. How neat!

Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

P.S. I was late visiting from yesterday, and I left you a note on that post, too.

KarenHarveyCox said...

Oh Carol, these crackers are gorgeous. I have never made these and always wanted to. Beautiful.

Karen

♥ Kathy said...

That is awesome Carol! I wrote a Tea and friendship post...it's HERE Happy Tuesday ♥

Elise said...

what an absolutely gorgeous post ! Thank you - hope you're haivng a great Tuesday too !

Queenmothermamaw said...

Carol that is a brilliant idea. I would love to try to do those. It is great to put little lotion and such for the adults and gotta think something for the men. My daughter got that lemon squeezer somewhere on an island in the Caribbean while on vacation. I have never seen one here.
QMM

A Stitch In Thyme said...

I LOVE YOUR CRACKERS!! Fantastic Idea. I like anything homemade in any capacity... well except for burnt food but that's another story!

Such a warm post today. Hugs. Tammy

Duchess of Tea said...

Hello darling, what a lovely post for this fine Tuesday. I just popped in to let you know that for the remainder of December I will not be able to participate in the tea posting and will definitely resume it in January. Have a lovely week.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

JG said...

The Crackers are really neat!!! What a great idea to use for special occasions. Thank you for the tutorial.

Mary said...

I love this idea! Very creative, and unusual...guests will be surprised and delighted! I'm going to try to do this for a tea I'm having, but its Friday, and not sure I'll have time. Will do it for the next tea, for sure!

Love your blog, as always!

Bless you, Carol!

Mary

SmilingSally said...

Carol you are a fun hostess!

The Muse said...

Krinkle Krackle...
Pull, Twist and POP!

My goodness me...
What have I got?

A little joy~
Perhaps a toy?
I shan't be coy...
For I have better...
Than any old boy!

Hugs The Muse

Shelley said...

I love Christmas Crackers! Every year I usually pick up some for our family, but now I think I'll make them. Thank you for posting your instructions - this will be fun!!

P.S. I love your avatar - Charli is adorable as always!

Related Posts with Thumbnails