Monday, December 14, 2009

Tea and friendship Tuesday's.......


Welcome to Tea and friendship Tuesday's hosted by Charli and Me. This is a fun post that can be filled with pretty tablescapes, teapots, teacups, recipes, poems, personal stories, and interesting facts related to tea, friendship, or both. It is a place to share anything you would like with a friend! If you would like to join me, just pick up a button, write your post, and then leave a comment here so my dear friends and I can pop over for a visit. Otherwise, thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed day ♥



"Among life's precious jewels,
genuine and rare,
The one that we call friendship
Has worth beyond compare."
-Author Unknown-


One of the things that I like to do during the holiday season is make molded chocolate candies. It's very easy to do and they always look pretty and festive on the table. There are tons of different types of candy molds available. I have Christmas trees, wreaths, Santa's, and sleighs. Although I sometimes make a variety of different kinds, I always make reindeer suckers. Our grandchildren especially love these little guys.
Basically all you have to do is melt chocolate, fill a mold, and then refrigerate until firm. Then pop them out of the molds, cut the excess chocolate away, and sear the edges of the candy with a warm knife to make them smooth.
This is a great project to do with children. I have made chocolate candies with my children, grandchildren, some of my niece's and even one of my nephews in the past. They used to like to paint the molds with different colors of chocolate and then decorate them with colored sugars and sprinkles.
When our nieces and nephews were small I would sometimes make them their own special box of candy and give it to them as a gift on Christmas, Saint Patrick's, or Valentine's Day. I used to get my decorative boxes at a baker's supply outlet but today you can get them just about any where.

After I'm finished making the candy, I usually wrap them individually and then seal them with a twist tie. Again, all of the supplies can be found at a baker's supply outlet. Then I sometimes add a pretty ribbon of some kind. When I use them for a lunch, or tea, I have also added a charm, jewel, or even a bell. These items can be purchased at Michael's craft Store. Molded chocolates make great party favors! Can you imagine how pretty they would look at an individual place setting or on a special Christmas tea table?
Recently I attended a baby shower for one of our nephews and his wife. The shower was done in a lamb theme. Sitting on each of the plates was an adorable white chocolate lamb wrapped and tied with a pale yellow ribbon. They were so pretty and what a special touch!














My mother always had a beautiful treat table at Christmas time for all of her many family and friends who often stopped by. On this table she always had festive napkins, some of the wonderful Christmas cookies she baked, candies, nuts, and even a gum drop Christmas tree. I wish I would have thought to take pictures of it, but at that time, who had heard of a computer much less a blog. My reindeer suckers will not be on either of the plates shown here on Christmas Eve. Instead, they will be scattered about on the special three tiered plate dish my mother handed down to me ♥
Well, I have to get going. I have to wash my champagne flutes for our Christmas Eve toast. Now let's see. Did I remember to get the cherries and sugar cubes?
Happy Tea and friendship Tuesday everyone!
I hope all of you have a wonderful day ♥
With warmest regards, Carol

9 comments:

JG said...

Your family is very fortunate that you make the special chocolate candies for many different holidays! They add a festive touch to your table. I have never made candies. What a nice and delicious addition for Christmas!

Michael said...

I have to stop reading your blog on an empty stomach :)

Eileen said...

Do you put cherries and sugar cubes into your champagne?
I've done strawberries and sugar cubes, but cherries sound so much better!

I used to make chocolates in those molds too, but more for Easter, I think I just stuck to baking for Christmas.
My sister-in-law and I used to go to this wonderful shop that had chocolate discs in all colors, we would get yellow, pink, pastel blue, and lavender for Easter and bunny molds and baskets and eggs. And they had all the bags and ribbons there too. We had a blast and the kids loved it.
I love your Mom's idea of having a treat table.
I think I will try to do something like that for each holiday.

Thanks for sharing all these wonderful ideas and traditions! Your family must be delighted!
Love to you,
Eileen

Eileen said...

PS ~ I remember we used to have a gumdrop tree!
Do they make them anymore? Or was that something our mothers and grandmothers made themselves? I don't even remember.
I'm on a quest now!

Blessings each day said...

What wonderful ideas, Carol and let me add that I have been reading past posts and I loved Charli's spend the night adventure...guess you will have to remain the only gracious hostess, Carol, but that was very funny.

Last year we bought some champagne and we were disappointed but I never thought of adding sugar cubes and cherries...what are the portions?

blessings and warm hugs,

marcy

Deb said...

very cute....

Micki said...

I could gain weight just by reading all these wonderful ideas!
Micki

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, everything sounds so delicious! Great ideas, Carol!

XO,

Sheila :-)

SmilingSally said...

I used to "make" chocolate with my molds, but I sold them all on eBay not too very long ago. I wish I'd known that you enjoyed doing this, and I would have shared some with you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails