Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Alligator that almost became a Valentine!....


The Alligator that almost became a Valentine!

When my brother, sister, and I were growing up every year around this time we would come home from school to find supplies such as these sitting on our kitchen table. My brother was much older than us, but my sister and I would spend our winter evenings writing out Valentine's for our teachers and friends. We also made home made Valentine's for our family and one another. In those days we didn't have stickers, ribbon, foam art, or the internet like children have at they're disposal today, but never the less, through the years I think we made some very cute, rather funny, and pretty Valentine's ♥

While I was working at the hospital, before my retirement, some times the children from Saint Anne's would make Valentine's for our patients and the staff. I can't even begin to tell you how touched everyone would be to receive these little heart felt Valentine's cards.

It seems like the tradition of giving cards on holidays is becoming out dated like so many other wonderful things of the past. To me the giving and receiving of cards is such a beautiful way to express love and friendship.

Even though Valentine's Day is not an official saint's day my mother treated it as such. She sometimes even referred to it as Saint Valentine's Day instead of Valentine's Day. In our house the holiday was always considered a family affair. It was a special day to express love to one another. Every year we were given individual boxes of foiled heart candies from Sanders. Does anyone remember those sweet little boxes of candy? It is a tradition that I carried on with my own children for many, many years. My hubby and I still give cards and small boxes of candy to all of our grands and now great grands. Even Charli gets a little bag of treats.
I have written about Valentine's Day here on my blog before so I won't go into any further details here except to say that when my hubby and I got married forty four years ago we decided to make each other Valentine's cards and we have carried on that tradition for the most part all these years.

Last year one of you mentioned the following site in one of your posts as being a good site to get some great craft ideas for the holidays. I apologize for not remembering who it was that posed it, but on their recommendation I went to the site and have been receiving news letters ever since.
For Valentine's Day a down load of this charming little alligator was offered. I thought it would be just perfect to give my hubby for Valentine's Day. Isn't it darling! Can you just imagine my hubby coming home and finding one of these cute little critters on his plate? My plan was to tuck a little love note inside with some red foiled chocolate hearts.
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/02/06/id-snap-at-the-chance-to-be-your-valentine/


The pattern for the alligator looked very easy and simple to make but as I have said before I am not a great crafter by any means. My first mistake was not printing it on green paper. I mean who ever heard of a white alligator! What was I thinking? Then I accidentally smeared glue all over one of the eyes so the poor thing looks like it has a cataract. As you can see the mouth area was a total disaster and by then I was so frustrated that I glued the feet on backwards.

So there you have it....
The alligator that almost became a valentine!



Now I have never been a quitter and since I have an idea of what I did wrong I just might try to make another one. But.... Shh..... What every you do please don't tell my hubby!

Do you like to send or make home made Valentine's cards for Valentine's Day? Do you have any Valentine's Day traditions that you would like to share? I would love to hear from you.

With warmest regards, Carol

12 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is ADORABLE, Carol! Cute as can be!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

That is just darling Gradma! I think you did a terrific job. I have to say I did laugh out loud though when you said it looked like he had a cataract! LOL too funny. What a great idea. I think it is very cute that you guys still do stuff like this after all these years.

Madeline's Album said...

What a cute idea. I love it. I still send my little grandkids and 2 great grandkids cards and money for valentines day. I always give my husband a card and candy. I wonder if there might be albino alligators? :) Have a great day Carol. Madeline

Eileen said...

Carol, I wouldn't change a thing! I think your alligator is adorable just as he is! And if you do make another one, I think you should give them BOTH to your husband!
I love that you and your husband keep special little rituals, I think it keeps a marriage and love alive.

I tried commenting here last night, but none of my comments on any blog seemed to have gone through.
Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for all the wonderful ideas you always share!
Love to you,
Eileen

Michael said...

I laughed out loud at your description of your alligator. I think you did a great job, and as always, your posts make me smile, take a deep breath, and enjoy life. Thanks.

inspirações da Jô said...

Dear Carol,
As is passed of year end? It was missing already a lot, and I came here to appreciate to Know news and to read their posts!!!!I adored her your alligator and I am sure that her Valentines Day will be adorable, still more for the fact of having that outstanding characteristic; a lot of love!!!!!
My kisses dear flower!!!!!!!!!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Carol my dearest! I don't know how I missed this today! How are you?How is Charli? Does she take well to alligators? Oh, my husband and I met 30 years ago this Valentine's day,so something special is in order. I love your idea and I wish you a blessed celebration and give that Charli a Valentine's Day hug from ME! Bisous, Anita

Rose said...

Carol, don't you know it's the little imperfections in created things that make them unique? (Hmmm, I think I see a sermon in that someplace... lol.) Anyway, I'm sure your husband will apprecicate the effort you put into your alligator even if it is not perfect.
When my hubby and I decided to get married, I picked Valentine's Day (and it was orginally termed St. Valentine's Day) so my dh would not forget our anniversary date! It worked! :-) Now I just get small things for my grandkids because they are my little valentines!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Goodmorning Carol! How lovely to see you in Paris this morning! You would love France, and so would Charli; they really, really do have poodles in Paris! They love their little "caniches" and other small dogs. The countryside with suit you well with its tranquil landscape and the food, you can't go wrong! Thank you for coming as always dearest, Anita

Just a little something from Judy said...

I finally have some time to visit some special blogs after my very busy and fun past week. Today I just returned home from a 2 1/2 hour dentist appointment and am the proud new owner of a dental bridge. My mouth is numb and sore so you can imagine how much fun it was for me to read this post. I love your alligator and love that it has some minor imperfections. That brought a smile to me today. Must admit I never saw a alligator with it's feet on backwards. Love that you shared it anyway. It certainly brightened my day.

As for Valentine's Day, in our home it was always a big deal. My mother made a favorite meal and she always had little gifts for us at the table.

Thank you for all of your kind comments on my blog, and thank you for sharing this sweet post with us.

Micki said...

Those are so cute! I love them all!
Micki

Anonymous said...

In searching for the (lost) page that shows how to make the alligator, I ran across your blog in a search. I just had to let you know that (1) your gator is really cute! and (2) there ARE white alligators... they just don't usually last long in the wild due to being so visible. Here's a link to a picture:

http://www.louisvillezoo.org/collection/animals/whitealligator.htm

Related Posts with Thumbnails