Friday, January 1, 2010

Another year is here and gone!.....



Another year is here and gone!......


"What can be said in New Year rhymes,
That's not been said a thousand times?
The New years come, the old years go,
We know we dream, we dream we know.
We rise up laughing with the light,
We lie down weeping in the night.
We hug the world until it stings
We curse it then and sigh for wings.
We live, we love, we woo, we wed,
We wreathe our prides, we sheet our dead.
We laugh, we weep, we hope, we fear,
And that's the burden of a year."
-Ella Wheeler Wilcox-


Some of the most important things I learned during my nursing career I have also found beneficial in my personal life. Since we are starting a New Year I thought I would share them again here.....
Never underestimate the power of prayer.
It's the little things that matter most.
Celebrate all of life's little moments.
Hug everyone you know at least once a day.
Don't sweat the small stuff.
It's OK to cry.
Always expect the unexpected.
There is humor in almost every situation.
Always keep a spare outfit in your car.
"Goodness is the only investment that never fails."


One of my New Year's resolutions this year is not to commit to certain days and posts here on my blog. I found that I sometimes missed posting things that I would have loved to share because of previous post commitments. If I had a particular busy week those weekly posts sometimes didn't seem as much fun as they should have been. In addition, there were some seasonal blog parties that I would have liked to join but unfortunately I didn't have the time. Now that is not to say that I will never participate in my favorite weekly blogs again but I found committing to certain days on a regular basis has been some what limiting, at least for me. With that said, I would like to thank everyone who joined me for Tea and Friendship Tuesday's and also thank everyone who stopped by here on Tuesday's and left such lovely comments.

My hubby and I have been busy taking down our Christmas decorations and getting our house back in order.
Charli has gained a pound and a half since Thanksgiving bringing her to a whopping eleven and a half pounds! I think everyone in our family must have been sneaking her treats during the holidays. I'm not even going to mention my weight. All I have to say is I think the time has come for us both to get back on some type of an exercise program.



"You've got to be kidding. NO! NO! Not again!"
"Oh come on Charli. We can do it."
"Speak for yourself! I just want to go take a nap."








"Oh brother! We go through this every year! It's just a good think she never sticks with it."
"What was that you said Charli?"
"I said I'm walking Grammy. I'm walking"



How about you? Do you make New Year's resolutions and keep them or are you more like me? Every year I start out with the best intentions but some where down the line they fall to the way side. I'll keep you posted on how this year's resolutions go:>)
Happy New Year everyone!
With warmest regards, Carol

15 comments:

texasdaisey said...

I thought Charli was looking a little fluffier than usual. I know I have been so that is on my list too. I love your list of things learned. I think it is definitely some wisdom all of us can benefit from.
Debbie

Wanda said...

I have lowered my treadmill for winter use too. I will start tomorrow!

Eileen said...

Charli is just the cutest!

I understand about the blogging! I love it, and I love everyone I've met through it, but it is time-consuming. I'm not going to put pressure on myself to post anything, I'll try to visit more.
I have some sad personal things going on with family right now so I'm committed there for the time being. I wanted to stop and wish you a Happy New Year and to tell you that I've so enjoyed your blog.
I won't be on much this week but I did want to thank you for your comments to me.
And I agree about the gift bags, great idea! My sister-in-law had a wonderful idea too, she uses zip lock bags and she folds a piece of wrapping paper into them and puts the gift inside that. It's so festive looking, and it's great for baked goods! (I'll post about it sometime).

Thanks for all your visits, Carol, I've enjoyed getting to know you!
Love to you,
Eileen

Bernie said...

Carol, I LOL at the wonderful photo's of Charli on the treadmill, I should use mine for exercise other than a clothes rack....if Charlie can do it so can I........:-) Hugs

Madeline's Album said...

Carol, Another great post. The list of things you have learned while nursing is very inspirational. Love the pictures of Miss Charli on the treadmill. I did not make and New Years resolutions because I never keep them. I will though be more patient and understanding with my friends. I love your blog and have enjoyed getting to know you. Have a blessed Sunday. Madeline

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I don't make resolutions, Carol. But I do resolve in my heart to do certain things better or at least try to each year.

I understand exactly what you mean about doing the weekly memes. I can't do it anymore either because they started controlling my life. I will do them when I have something to contribute. I enjoy them and want to continute to enjoy them without feeling put-upon to get a post ready. That takes the fun out of it.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Rose said...

Yeh, I have a treadmill too. I got up early this morning with intentions of getting in 20 to 30 minutes on it before church. Then I looked outside, and realized I needed to shovel before church. Ok, that's exercise too. However, when I realized I could barely see down the street I also realized I'd not be fighting with the wind and snow to drive the 10 miles to church today! BTW, I have a picture on one of my original posts of MaggieMae of her sleeping on my treadmill! I'd never thought of that before, she'd found a new use for it!! However I do need to get back to using it as I had gained more pounds even before Thanksgiving! Yikes! I did it one year, dropped two sizes from walking, and my back and knees were better too. Now I'm back up about a size and a half, so definitely need to get with the program again! Hope you have a wondderful New Year also!

♥ Kathy said...

I know what you mean about the weekly memes. When I feel like I can do them, I do. Otherwise I just skip that week. Charli is looking beautiful by the way! Happy Sunday my dear friend ♥

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh dear! Charli is not going to be able to get into her little bikini this summer!!! But she is as cute and fun as ever! Oh Carol, how true your poem and thoughts. It really is boiled down to a couple of important things, and that is why Jesus kept it simple. He taught us through example the things that would insure that we were on God's path, and kindness and love are the trails that we will leave behind. You are a treasure my dear, sweat Carol. Now get that Charli on the right path towards fitness! Bisous my dear, Anita

Shelley said...

Charli looks so cute on that treadmill! I think Scout might need to join her! (Especially after I discovered she's been eating the cats food quite a few times!) Liked your new years advice. And I agree w/ your attitude towards blogging. It should be fun - not a chore. There is life to be lived.
Hugs to you and Charli!
Shelley

Just a little something from Judy said...

This is one of those posts that is packed full of good things, very good things. I like the first poem and think it speaks so clearly of our lives. I like what you shared about blogging and your thoughts on it. That is exactly why I never joined any of the certain day categories, even though I really wanted to. I am thankful for those who do, but my time is so limited. I only blog when I find a few extra minutes. I am trying to eliminate extra stress in my schedule this coming year. That said, I find myself looking forward to each of your posts.

I think your list of things you learned from being a nurse is excellent advice. Thanks for sharing it.

Hope you and Charli don't overdo it on the treadmill this week.

JG said...

Your list covers it all!

Charli reminded me to get moving on my treadmill, too.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Micki said...

Charli looks adorable! As to resolutions, I am not really into them! Enjoy your Ne Year!
Micki

Ruthie said...

Nice to catch up on your blog. I don't blog on any particular day - (I've actually been very remiss lately with lots of things keeping me busy) - but I hope to blog more regularly in this new year.
Good you have a treadmill. I just joined Curves today - to get in better shape.
Blessings for the new year.

Sweet Nostalgia said...

I've missed cathing up with you, but I'm back to blogging, just in time to see everyone's new year resolutions. I see Charli is off to a good start!

Happy New Year!

Related Posts with Thumbnails