Thursday, January 14, 2010

Avatar.......


Avatar......

Recently my friend Cori and I went out to lunch and a movie. We were supposed to see Sherlock Holmes but then at the last minute Cori suggested we see Avatar instead because of all of the special effects and the fact that it was in 3D. I have to admit that Avatar is not a movie I would ever go to see on my own. In general I don't like action packed rooting tooting gun slinging movies of any kind. I find them to be very intense and science fiction is just to surreal for me.

I've also never really cared for 3D movies. Do you remember going to a 3D movie when you were a child and being given those little cardboard glasses to wear? Mine never seemed to fit right and I was constantly fiddling with them. Well that's not the case any more! Now your actually given a decent pair of glasses which definitely enhanced the whole 3D experience, at least for me. In fact, I'm actually looking even more forward than before to seeing 'Alice in wonderland' after viewing the previews in 3D.

After I had let out a couple of subtle screams, hid my face in my coat, nearly slid out of seat, and ducked once or twice I must say I really got into the movie. The story centers around another world called Pandora. An ex-marine is sent to a military base there, and through DNA, and something like out of body experiences, transforms himself into an Avatar. Scientists eager to learn about the culture follow his progress as the aliens (Avatar's) take him in and except him as one of they're own. The world of Pandora is portrayed as pristine, untouched, and beautiful. The aliens have a sort of naivety or innocence about them. I thought the visual effects were awesome! In addition to being a love story, Avatar is a story about heroism, and good verse evil. I won't tell you anymore about it in case you would like to see it yourself. I will say that it reminds me a little of 'The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe' in that the characters are transported into another world much different than they're own. I think the story line is some what similar to what occurred right here in our own country in regards to the pilgrims and Indians but with a much different out come.

Apparently the movie has stirred quite a bit of controversy. Some people are calling the movie "racist", others are saying it causes "lingering depression", while still others are saying it's "anti-military". It has been touted as a "mass psychic freak out." The Vatican has even spoken out against it. It is also being compared to 'Titanic' and there is talk of Oscar nominations.


In light of all of the controversy I am especially glad I was able to see it for myself. To me, at least, the controversy seems a bit excessive and extreme.
I thought Avatar was a great movie, as movies go, and I'm giving it a thumbs up.
What about you? Have you seen the movie?
I would love to hear your thoughts about it.
With warmest regards, Carol

18 comments:

Elise said...

I haven't seen it; not my kind of thing at all, but I like what you've written so maybe....

Eileen said...

Thanks for the review, Carol. I haven't seen it myself, but one of my son's did and when I asked him about it he said he thought it was very good and that it was about 'the evil white man against the Native Americans'. I had no idea! And this is the first I heard that the Vatican had something to say!

I never used to like 3D either until I saw the newer 3D movies at Disney World and now I enjoy them a lot.
I may have to see this one!
Love to you,
Eileen

Vee said...

No, I've not seen it, but everyone I know who has has given it a thumb's up as well. So it must've been kind of intense if you were ducking and screaming and hiding in your coat. Ha!

The Muse said...

3 times...but shhh don't tell!

Madeline's Album said...

Your review of the movie was very good. I have read about the controversy about this movie. I more than likely will not see the movie for the simple reason my husband and I do not go to the movies very often. Have a great evening. Madeline

Rattus Scribus said...

Hello my sweet friend! My husband saw it alone because like you, I tend to shy away from science fiction. I prefer more realistic stories. However, he has seen it twice and boasts about how good it is. He will probably bring it home some day and I will watch it with a pot of tea in front of me!! How are you and Charli? Anita

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Hi Carol,
I just realized that I commented with my husband's profile still signed in as Rattus Scribus, just if you were wondering who this RAT beanie babie was!!! Anita

♥ Kathy said...

I'll just wait for it to come out on DVD. I hadn't planned on watching it but now you made it sound good so I probably will :)

SmilingSally said...

I haven't seen this one, Carol, because it doesn't look that appealing to me. However, my son and his family saw it and all liked it. In fact, one of his teenage daughters has now seen it 3 times!

the voice of melody said...

We went to see it the other day but not in 3D. I can only imagine how intense it must be in 3D!

I didn't care for the vulgar language (I'm glad it was only a little bit at the beginning of the movie). Even though it was pretty long, I have to say it was a very entertaining movie. Not sure I'd see it multiple times but we had a great evening out. By the way, I must try your orange scone recipe from your previous post or at least tuck it away for future use. They look so delicious! :)

YourTeaLife said...

Nice to meet you too, Carol. I'm with you. I would have never have seen Avatar but my husband and son talked me into it. I'm so glad I did. The special effects were amazing.

Thanks so much for your comment. Charli is adorable!

Just a little something from Judy said...

I did not see it. It really does not interest me, but I have friends that saw it and their take on it was similar to yours. I like reading your take on movies and books. You do a great job!

Michael said...

Haven't seen it yet, or Sherlock Holmes (which is what I really want to see!) But thanks for the review!

P.S. And yes, I kind of remember my first "3-d" movie ... Creature from the Black Lagoon or something like that. I'm sure this is quite different!

Micki said...

I haven't seen it either, but it looks good...I will look into it.
Micki

Jerelene said...

Hi Carol! I think this movie looks very interesting. I would love to see it!
I really like what you've done with your page...I love snowmen! And I love Charli's new picture...Does she like the snow? Teddy doesn't mind it at all..he actually loves to run and play in it. Mickey HATED it!! He wouldn't hardly even walk..it was hilarious. I guess they either hate it or love it...too funny!
Stay warm....Hugs....Jerelene

MyThoughtsMyVoice said...

Hello Carol,

I haven't seen the movie yet and it makes you want to because of all the reviews :-)YOu seem to have liked it and you said you were not much of a fan for these kind of movies so it must be good :-)But my excitement is more to the Alice in Wonderland! :-)

Mizpah,
Li

Terra said...

I haven't seen this movie yet. I hear some people get nausea from the 3D effects. I appreciate reading what you posted here.
My dh and I went to see Sherlock Holmes, which you had meant to see, and we both greatly enjoyed it. It is one of those movies that benefit from being seen in a theater on a big screen.

prashant said...

I like what you've written so maybe....

Work from home

Related Posts with Thumbnails